Garden Shed

Making room for a layout, where and how?
Serjt-Dave

Re: Garden Shed

Postby Serjt-Dave » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:11 pm

Hi Phillip, Paul and Steve.

Phillip. Why ruin this space by putting a model railway in it. I'm thinking of just a comfy chair a small table to stand a cup of tea whilst I peruse the latest copies of MRJ and Scalefour News.

Paul. I used a coloured preservative on the outside. It's meant to have been pressured treated but I don't think it's been don too well. I was hoping to paint the building like a railway building of a dark cream and green {BR Southern Region} but opted for just using the tinted preservative. It's not plasterboard lining but 9mm plywood. I have sealed the joints between walls and floor {badly I might add}, had the shakes when I did it, must not short cocaine before doing jobs like that.

Steve. As stated above I used 9mm plywood. I didn't want to have any flexing so 9mm ply was the best option between strength and cost.

Oh by the way, the shed came with a free ghost. I must of disturbed an ancient Indian burial ground when I dug the footings. I just hope they like the S&D.

John Palmer

Postby John Palmer » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:18 am

Philip Hall wrote:This looks great! A huge empty space just waiting for a railway. Let me tell you though, after baseboards and workbenches, it will very quickly look a lot smaller inside...

Philip

How true! I arranged to extend our redundant garage to provide me with interior space of approximately 24' X 7'. As such it enables me to erect five of the seven boards for our Burnham layout, but the cunning plan is to fling wide the end doors and attach the remaining two boards al fresco. This works a treat and means that we can be operating the full layout inside 20 to 30 minutes. However, the infamous dog leg shape of the layout takes up a good deal of the space available, meaning that one of my two workbenches sits in the angle formed by the boards, and I have to shoehorn myself into the chair in front of it in order to do any work.

I took the opportunity to have installed a proper vent to which the spray booth exhauster can be coupled, together with a small wash basin - never known such workplace luxury before.

Dave, with 12' by 24' you'll be able to have a much longer layout of Edddington than in the space originally available, so I'm hoping that you will no longer need to wrap the platform(s) round a curve to get it all in.

How could any ghost not like the S&D! Perhaps the phantom steamraiser of Branksome Shed has come to take you to task on your speling.

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:01 am

John,

Your mention of a washbasin...such luxury, but it cost enough as it is without installing plumbing! But then your room is attached to the house. It is fully carpeted, though, and I do have a sofa bed down there, but I don’t want to remind my dear wife of this because, like Dave, it is already being referred to as my new abode...

Back to the removals and tidying...

Philip

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:10 pm

Hi John. Yes I can get the whole station area in without having to curve it. However I will have to curve the line around each end just after the level crossing at one end and after the junction at the other. My main concern is how to separate and create distance between the line to Highbridge and the Bridgewater branch as they both go off in the same direction.

As regards my spectre. I just hope it's not some sort of ghoul who's into GWR.

Dave

John Palmer

Postby John Palmer » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:11 am

For floor covering, I went for Mototiles garage floor tiles in PVC (http://mototile.com/motolock-interlocking-floor-tiles.html). I chose snakeskin finish for these because the alternative finishes were raised discs or treadplate, and I wanted as smooth a finish as possible (could foresee problems with layout legs otherwise). The Mototiles chap I spoke to warned that the snakeskin finish tends to trap dirt and be more difficult to clean than the other patterns, and he was right about that, though I don't regret the choice I made.

Plumbing was no problem for my new domain because the garage had previously been equipped with a standpipe. Proximity to the house also made it a suprisingly straightforward exercise to extend the central heating pipework sufficiently for a radiator to be fitted too.

And yes, the new refrain is "Huh, I didn't see much of you before, but now you've got that workshop I don't see you from one day to the next."

Careful with the spelling, Dave! Bridgwater has only one 'e'. You do have a bit of a problem with the divergence of the Bridgwater Railway from the Somerset Central. The local topography doesn't help at all, as it is flat and with not much in the way of coveniently located trees or any other natural features to provide a scenic break. About your best bet may be a rhyne (what we call our watercourses hereabouts) with a line of willows along it - that would certainly help to capture the flavour of the Levels.

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:27 pm

I decided on carpet because I wanted the new room to feel as much as possible like a room in the house. The floor is also reinforced so that it feels solid. On a cold day with the rain and snow hammering down there would be no incentive to go down the garden to a basic wooden shed! And so it has proved. The distance means no running water or extension of central heating, but I still have a kettle down there and a big 2.5kw oil filled radiator and a 1kw ‘top up’ radiator means it is warm and snug. I keep the big radiator set at 12° when I am not there which takes care of the tools etc.

I suppose after all the talk about our sheds I should post a picture, so here it is. Not the inside just yet, because having moved 20 years worth of modelling detritus from the loft, the floor and the nice carpet is all but invisible!

Philip

L1050004.jpg small.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:25 pm

ughhhh :!: .... getting the green envious feeling again :shock:
Tim Lee

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:12 pm

WOW! I thought I had a big one. LOL. Yeah but your one ain't got a ghost in it, but saying it does look impressive though Phillip, good job there. I decided on a laminate floor just to give the baseboard leg something solid to stand on and once they have been fitted I plan on laying carpet tiles in the centre of my apartment. I noticed you've got water butts. At first I just had one 200 litre butt, but as soon as we get a drop of rain it fills up. So I now have two 200 litre butts to which I spend my time emptying.

John, if I had a brain I would be dangerous. I've worked for GWR for too long. I was thinking of a scenic break with trees myself I'll try and get as much distance between the two lines as I can. I was thinking about having the Bridgwater {please note only one e} terminating sort of the main fiddle as a line with a run round loop.

Dave

Will L

Postby Will L » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:21 pm

Philip Hall wrote:I decided on carpet because...

..that's what the GCG* demands. Dave's unsettled spectral presence could be strait down to the PVC tiles.

*GCG see here

Edited spectral for sectoral , it may make more sense now. (I sometimes think I have an unsettled spectral presence in my predictive text rubbish generator too.
Last edited by Will L on Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:55 pm

Will, yes of course you’re right about the carpet, it was my first consideration...

Dave, it’s not as big as it looks, but an almost square footprint seemed interesting when I designed it, and it allows the layout proper to be around three walls and just two tracks on a narrow board along the front under the windows where some of my workbenches are. 21ft was about the maximum width the garden would accommodate, but we sacrificed some of the garden to give me a 20ft depth. I quite fancied a long thin building along the side of the garden adjacent to the house but it would have given us a long thin garden as well and that didn’t find much favour in some quarters.

The baseboards are supported with long plywood runners along the wall and beams at the front, with cantilevered supports down to the bottom of the walls and the framing behind, so the carpet fitters had no obstruction apart from the central pillar. As to the water butts, that was the buildings control inspector’s idea as he preferred that to running a drain pipe down into the garden both sides. As we don’t do a lot of gardening, I very quickly had two full water butts, and you can guess where the overflow pipes run...

Philip

DougN

Postby DougN » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:24 am

Philip, that looks like it will keep you very busy for years to come. It should once, you have organised your gear, be very productive. Though I can see you working away with a train or 2 circulating the room! :D
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:04 pm

Doug,

That’s the idea...

Philip

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:08 pm

DougN wrote: Though I can see you working away with a train or 2 circulating the room! :D

That is sufficiently ambiguous for me to have some fun with Phil:

I see him "working away" i.e. demonstrating at a show while his trains are running at home!

Pete Brownlow of MERG has demonstrated this.....

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:17 pm

Paul, that’s an idea to run in an engine whilst we are on holiday! I guess you’d need a smart phone to do that and I’m not sure my Windows one is smart enough. Plus the lack of DCC hereabouts...

Philip

Tony Wilkins

Postby Tony Wilkins » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:16 am

At the risk of making Tim even more envious, I thought I would share my experiences my railway room.
The prospects of Brimsdown becoming something more than just a pipe dream improved dramatically when we moved from London to Nottinghamshire about a decade ago. The house we purchased came with a concrete sectional garage 14' by 34'. The concrete base extended all the way to the bottom of the garden and for a while I planned to extend the garage by a further 12' as the Templot plan optimistically allowed 45'. For various reasons, mainly cost, this never happened and I elected to go with what I had.
The first winter showed that the garage had its own micro climate and condensation dripped from the metal work and metal roof sheeting, so insulation of some form was needed. The previous owners and made a very poor attempt at this.
DSCF1862.JPG

Knowing that this was going to be a big job and a venture into the unknown was a major deterrent from starting, until a friend of mine in the building trade offered to come and help me with the job.
The first task was to decide how to tackle things.
I rented a container in order to clear out the building.
The ironwork was cleaned and painted with Hammerite and the old seals between the wall panels were replaced as was the seal around the bottom of the walls.
An architect colleague in the NLG recommended that I seriously consider Cellotex for the insulation.
I researched R and U values on the internet and set the following criteria. The building to maintain 20 degrees with an outside temperature of zero with 1 kilowatt of heat. I assumed that the building was a regular block for the purpose of the calculations. This produced a thickness requirement of approx 110mm. The nearest stock size was 120mm.
The supplier I chose was "Insulation on line" and if anyone else is considering a similar approach I can recommend them. However, this stuff is not cheap.
I calculated how many sheets I would need to do the roof and walls and put the numbers into the quantity box. The total came to over £2,000. I swallowed hard and pressed the buy button.
The roof was tackled first. All the panels came off, we just cut the old J bolts as these were rusted solid and longer ones were required anyway.
First a layer of OSB sheets were followed by a vapour barrier, the insulation, a breathable membrane and finally the roof panels were replaced. The fun was trying to reuse the existing holes and drill through accurately for the J bolts to reach the internal girders, we missed a few times.
DSCF1874.JPG

Next was the interior. I had arranged for the insulation to be delivered in two batches as it takes up a lot of space.
DSCF1875.JPG

DSCF1876.JPG

The end wall has been done in this shot.
DSCF1879.JPG

The side wall well under way.
As you can see I was supplied with a mixture of makes of insulation.
DSCF1887.JPG

The end result. The floor, which is concrete, has a 30mm layer of high density Cellotex covered with flooring grade tongue and groove chipboard, meant for doing loft conversions. The shed door was replaced by a thick insulated one and the up and over door has a pair of insulated hinged opening interior doors behind it. Finally the wooden windows were replaced by modern double glazed units. It has been referred to as my luxury pad.

So what was the result. I don't know what went wrong with the calculations, but it take only 500w watts to maintain the temperature differential. The last frosty night we had, I went out before I went to bed to put the heating on. The internal temperature was 12 deg. I put on 1 Kw (we are on a white meter) and in the morning the temperature was 18 deg. The insulation is almost certainly better than our house.
Regards
Tony.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Inspiration from the past. Dreams for the future.

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:15 am

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: ........ :thumb

Super Job ;)
Tim Lee

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:56 pm

Excellent job there Tony.

ScottW

Postby ScottW » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:41 pm

Like Tony, I also converted my concrete sectional garage. Unfortunately it’s not quite as big, being only 21’x11’, but at the pace I build things I suppose it’s more than sufficient. :D

I chose to seal-up the large up-and-over door and build an insulated false wall behind it to keep the draft out.

EF3CEE5F-644F-4139-92C0-192554FD497C.jpeg

FE71A691-914D-42DC-B169-58D345A663B0.jpeg

38F80661-7E71-4F0D-BB5C-23520A407028.jpeg

Scott

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:05 pm

Very nice Scott. Wood flooring seems to be the in thing now, and there are tantalising glimpses of a railway in there as well...

Philip

Tony Wilkins

Postby Tony Wilkins » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:21 pm

And so uncluttered!
Nice job.
Mine will need a thorough sort out before I post some current pictures.
Tony.
Inspiration from the past. Dreams for the future.

ScottW

Postby ScottW » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:28 am

Philip Hall wrote:Very nice Scott. Wood flooring seems to be the in thing now, and there are tantalising glimpses of a railway in there as well...

The flooring was just cheap laminate from B&Q-good enough for a garage.

As for the railway, this is the “Country Boards” built by Maurice Hopper in S Scale. They’re currently being used as a test track till I get around to starting my own layout. The problem is settling on a suitable prototype-Bonnybridge Central or a line based on the Edinburgh, Leith & Granton Railway. :?:

Scott

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:10 am

deleted and replaced
Last edited by Paul Townsend on Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:13 am

Philip Hall wrote:Wood flooring seems to be the in thing now, and there are tantalising glimpses of a railway in there as well
Philip

It is much better IMHO than carpet for an MR room. The wood floor god just bounces the dropped items instead of eating them. Then a quick go with dustpan and brush retrieves the bits without the yucky job of sorting the fluff from your Hoover-Dyson

ScottW wrote:
As for the railway, this is the “Country Boards” built by Maurice Hopper in S Scale. They’re currently being used as a test track till I get around to starting my own layout. The problem is settling on a suitable prototype-Bonnybridge Central or a line based on the Edinburgh, Leith & Granton Railway. :?:

Scott

So will that be P4 or S ?

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:45 am

A small observation on the very nice spaces that Dave and Scott have created and that is the power outlets are fairly close to the floor. My humble space is not nearly as smart since it is also used for woodworking and other heavy duty activities but all the power outlets are about one metre off the floor which is a good height to be above a workbench. This saves bending down to plug things in and switch off after you have finished. Also don't under-estimate the number of sockets you need near to a workbench. I have four double sockets in easy range of my usual working positi0n and often a least 6 are in use. It is also a good idea to get in the habit of switching things off and unplugging them before you go - just in case.

Terry Bendall

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:05 am

Terry Bendall wrote:A small observation on the very nice spaces that Dave and Scott have created and that is the power outlets are fairly close to the floor. My humble space is not nearly as smart since it is also used for woodworking and other heavy duty activities but all the power outlets are about one metre off the floor which is a good height to be above a workbench. This saves bending down to plug things in and switch off after you have finished. Also don't under-estimate the number of sockets you need near to a workbench. I have four double sockets in easy range of my usual working positi0n and often a least 6 are in use. It is also a good idea to get in the habit of switching things off and unplugging them before you go - just in case.

Terry Bendall

A master switch perhaps?
Tim Lee

Return to “Layout Location”