Lofts can work well.

Making room for a layout, where and how?
grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Lofts can work well.

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:47 pm

Here is an example well worth a look.
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=50218
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

John Fitton

Re: Lofts can work well.

Postby John Fitton » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:31 pm

Living in Canada we have one enormous advantage - owing to conventional house construction - virtually all homes have full height (8 feet) basements out of poured concrete consruction so that the foundation is below the frost line, which is about 4 feet below grade at about the 49th parallel. The advantage is that the basement tmeperature is fairly stable at about 18 Celsius if the home upstairs is at about 21 Celsius, and seasonal temperature variations are quite minimal.

There is I believe a real dichotomy however regarding the appraoch to securing the track. Whereas some modellers prefer to have the track floating and pinned down lightly to avoid stressing, my approach is to secure the track to the road bed as firmly as possible - concrete is the term I use. As I see it any attempt to have track floating only results in unexpected variations occuring and causing derailments.

Having said that, I would one day like to have a garden extension - plus and minus 30 C would be quite a challenge, especially in P4!!

Return to “Layout Location”