North Greenwich - minimum space project?

Making room for a layout, where and how?
steve howe

North Greenwich - minimum space project?

Postby steve howe » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:24 pm

Whilst looking for something else the other day, I happened upon this website describing the Millwall Extension of the old London & Blackwall Railway.

I'm sure this will be well known to London rail officionados, but it struck me what an interesting 'minimum space' model the terminus at North Greenwich would make.
https://islandhistory.wordpress.com/2016/01/28/the-millwall-extension-railway/

north greenwich.jpg

The archaic locomotives and rolling stock would be an interesting challenge too!

Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Armchair Modeller

Re: North Greenwich - minimum space project?

Postby Armchair Modeller » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:13 pm

I have thought about this a lot over the years. I have a reasonable amount of info, including a copy of an HMRS article and lots of photos if ever you decide to go ahead.

jon price

Postby jon price » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:00 pm

the locos are available as 3D prints, and the carriages are now available as etches. Mr Rixon makes the gas lamp tops, springs and axle boxes, and improved ventilators for the kits as well.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/XCQBT ... d=57974973

http://eveleighcreations.com/4-mm-ger-coach-bodies/
Connah's Quay Workshop threads: viewforum.php?f=125

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:31 pm

Armchair Modeller wrote:I have thought about this a lot over the years. I have a reasonable amount of info, including a copy of an HMRS article and lots of photos if ever you decide to go ahead.

:D :D :D I offer it for general interest, I don't think I've enough life left for yet another 'wouldn't it be nice if....'

Might be a contender for Mr. Rice's cameo challenge perhaps?

Steve

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:21 am

steve howe wrote:
Armchair Modeller wrote:I have thought about this a lot over the years. I have a reasonable amount of info, including a copy of an HMRS article and lots of photos if ever you decide to go ahead.

:D :D :D I offer it for general interest, I don't think I've enough life left for yet another 'wouldn't it be nice if....'

Might be a contender for Mr. Rice's cameo challenge perhaps?

Steve

I did consider using it for the 2mm Scale Association's Diamond Jubilee Challenge. You could just fit the station area in a 2ft length in 2mm scale. Omitting the jetty and the viaduct would remove a lot of the character though.

Untitled-1.jpg

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:48 am

Britain From Above has several good images post-closure, including this one

north_greenhwichy.jpg

This photo shows some of the atmosphere

north_greenhwichx.jpg

garethevans1986

Postby garethevans1986 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:23 pm

Really interesting history around that area of the city. I live nearby during the week while working in London and always wondered what existed before the DLR around that part of town.

I pass from Canning Town to Bank every day an on the right hand side (heading towards Bank) there are two curves one before Limehouse station going North (Limehouse Curve I think it's called) here and the other here.

I do know the "North London Line" ran from North Woolwich (here) to Richmond via Stratford which is now the new CrossRail route.

Can anybody shed any light on any more history of the line/area at all?

Thank you
Gareth
Gareth O. Evans
IT Consultant/Director of Web46 IT Solutions
Croes Newydd Yard

Diesel Crank

garethashenden

Postby garethashenden » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:15 am

garethevans1986 wrote:Really interesting history around that area of the city. I live nearby during the week while working in London and always wondered what existed before the DLR around that part of town.

I pass from Canning Town to Bank every day an on the right hand side (heading towards Bank) there are two curves one before Limehouse station going North (Limehouse Curve I think it's called) here and the other here.

I do know the "North London Line" ran from North Woolwich (here) to Richmond via Stratford which is now the new CrossRail route.

Can anybody shed any light on any more history of the line/area at all?

Thank you
Gareth

1) Limehouse Curve: Yes, that’s what it’s called. The line that is currently operated by C2C runs from Fenchurch Street to either Stratford or Bow. The Limehoise Curve was a route from there to the docks, where Canary Wharf is now.

2) The funny bit of viaduct: Old maps show it leading to a goods depot/warehouse. One track from the mainline, four entering the building, with a bit of storage or sorting space as well. https://maps.nls.uk/view/96805017#zoom= ... &layers=BT

3) The North London Line: This is a convoluted mess. The North London Railway had a route, BR had a route, TfL has a route. They’re all different but all called the “North London Line”. Any particular era you’re interested in?

Noel

Postby Noel » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:55 am

garethashenden wrote:The funny bit of viaduct: Old maps show it leading to a goods depot/warehouse. One track from the mainline, four entering the building, with a bit of storage or sorting space as well. https://maps.nls.uk/view/96805017#zoom= ... &layers=BT

Commercial Road Goods [LT&SR]. The line to the south to the left of Leman Street station is to East Smithfield [GER] and Mint Street [MR],the sidings further left parallel to the main line are, I think, Mint Street [GNR] and the adjacent line to the north is to Haydon Square [LNWR]. Nothing but commuters these days, but in Victorian times very heavy freight traffic as well.
Regards
Noel

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:19 pm

Fascinating stuff, I also like the sharply curved sidings running north just before Fenchurch St. terminus, terminating in two sidings near a ch. (church?)

Steve

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:31 pm

This link https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=19&lat=51.5114&lon=-0.0664&layers=173&b=1 gives you a rather better version of the nls maps to explore. You can scroll through the whole area, zoom in and out and the slide control allows instant comparison with current arial photos.
Check the list of maps available and there is an equally detailed 19th century one you can compare with.
This one in fact https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=19&lat=51.5114&lon=-0.0664&layers=163&b=1
Regards
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

garethevans1986

Postby garethevans1986 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:06 pm

grovenor-2685 wrote:This link https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=19&lat=51.5114&lon=-0.0664&layers=173&b=1 gives you a rather better version of the nls maps to explore. You can scroll through the whole area, zoom in and out and the slide control allows instant comparison with current arial photos.
Check the list of paps available and there is an equally detailed 19th century one you can compare with.
Regards

That map is a font of information!
Thank you
Gareth O. Evans
IT Consultant/Director of Web46 IT Solutions
Croes Newydd Yard

Diesel Crank

Return to “Layout Location”