Ultrascale gears and conversion sets

For new product announcements, recommendations, reviews and sourcing. Must be relevant to society members.
Jol Wilkinson

Ultrascale gears and conversion sets

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Thu Aug 31, 2023 6:57 am

A matter of some concern to those who use Ultrascale products for P4 conversions.

https://www.ultrascale.uk/node/71

Crepello

Re: Ultrascale gears and conversion sets

Postby Crepello » Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:55 am

Textbook example of productive capitalism suffering at the hands of rentier capitalism.
Scaled up, that's the UK's malaise.

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Thu Aug 31, 2023 2:55 pm

Crepello wrote:Textbook example of productive capitalism suffering at the hands of rentier capitalism.

I suggested controls on a national scale to a major political party about 8-10 years ago and. ..heard nothing.
One of my friends is presently unable to find a house whilst someone else I know lives off rented income and gambles, drinks and smokes, despite allegedly not doing so on religious grounds.
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:51 pm

Hardwicke wrote:
Crepello wrote:Textbook example of productive capitalism suffering at the hands of rentier capitalism.

I suggested controls on a national scale to a major political party about 8-10 years ago and. ..heard nothing.
One of my friends is presently unable to find a house whilst someone else I know lives off rented income and gambles, drinks and smokes, despite allegedly not doing so on religious grounds.

Another friend of mine decided to solve this for himself by emigrating to Switzerland. It wasn't exactly plain sailing as his first marriage only lasted six years, but he is now where he always wanted to be with his second wife, two kids and a nice home in Zurich.
That would be an ecumenical matter.

mikeknowles

Postby mikeknowles » Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:53 am

My son has just placed an order for some gears and has been quoted a delivery time of 7 months! That puts it well beyond the cut off point for placing orders stated as 31st December so a bit confused.
Last edited by mikeknowles on Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Noel

Postby Noel » Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:52 am

mikeknowles wrote:My son has just placed an order for some gears and has been quoted a delivery time of 7 months! That puts it well beyond the cut off point stated as 31st December so a bit confused.

The page for which Jol gave the link clearly states that they will not accept orders after 31/12/23.
Regards
Noel

Noel

Postby Noel » Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:55 am

Many of the larger property owners in the UK are insurance companies. They have to invest medium to long term so that they can pay out on life insurances and pensions. Are you suggesting that we should allow inflation to steadily erode those investments by denying them the possibility of increasing rents? Investing in productive industries is only possible if the industries are there to start with, and Britain's industrial base has been in steady decline since Victorian times, and is now being followed, it seems, by High Street retail.
Regards
Noel

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:38 pm

Noel wrote:

....Are you suggesting that we should allow inflation to steadily erode those investments by denying them the possibility of increasing rents? .....

I'd suggest this may be happening anyway. Also, if you were a victim of InEquitable Life, you'll know about eroded investments.

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:15 am

Horsetan wrote:
Noel wrote:

....Are you suggesting that we should allow inflation to steadily erode those investments by denying them the possibility of increasing rents? .....

I'd suggest this may be happening anyway. Also, if you were a victim of InEquitable Life, you'll know about eroded investments.

I don't have much faith in the "investment" industry. I'd have been better sticking my mortgage money in a jar than letting Halifax "invest" it for me. They "lost" 12% for me.
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:07 pm

Hardwicke wrote:
Horsetan wrote:
Noel wrote:

I don't have much faith in the "investment" industry. I'd have been better sticking my mortgage money in a jar than letting Halifax "invest" it for me. They "lost" 12% for me.

Thanks to InEquitable Life, some of us lost quite a lot of our pension pots. Much more than 12%....

kelly

Postby kelly » Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:25 pm

This will be a sad loss, especially for P4 modellers. I don't know if this is an area the Society could assist with in some way?
DEMU UPDate Editor
DEMU
Photos on Flickr

Crepello

Postby Crepello » Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:22 pm

kelly wrote:This will be a sad loss, especially for P4 modellers. I don't know if this is an area the Society could assist with in some way?

I'm sure there will be more in due course as the business owners with appropriate skills retire. A lot of the
significant ranges we've relied on to date were probably staffed by people discarded in the country's great
de-industrialisation project from 1979 onwards. Brian Rogers worked at gearbox manufacturer Borg-Warner
for instance, which I believe was the source of his equipment when it closed.

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:57 pm

Crepello wrote:I'm sure there will be more in due course as the business owners with appropriate skills retire. A lot of the
significant ranges we've relied on to date were probably staffed by people discarded in the country's great
de-industrialisation project from 1979 onwards. Brian Rogers worked at gearbox manufacturer Borg-Warner

<pricks up ears>

I wonder if he'll rattle off a spare set of gears for my TVR before he hangs up the lubricating fluid...

;-)
Paul
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:31 pm

Paul Willis wrote:
Crepello wrote:I'm sure there will be more in due course as the business owners with appropriate skills retire. A lot of the

<pricks up ears>

I wonder if he'll rattle off a spare set of gears for my TVR before he hangs up the lubricating fluid...

Pity he didn't work for ZF....

zebedeesknees

Postby zebedeesknees » Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:59 am

Horsetan wrote:
Paul Willis wrote:

<pricks up ears>

My understanding was that the kit that Brian brought from the Borg-Warner plant in Letchworth came from the Model Shop rather than the production shop. As it happened, my parents lived in Letchworth from 1968, my Father worked in the offices of Borg-Warner until his passing at the end of '73, but was only on 'nodding' terms with Brian. My Dad had access to the 'pool' cars for visits to suppliers, which gave me a chance to drive one of only three Lotus Cortina Mk.II Automatics, 3-speed iirc, ever made. Dad didn't let me drive it far, but I did find that the full-throttle shift from 2nd occurred at 90mph...

Ted.
(A purists' purist)

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:19 pm

zebedeesknees wrote:
Horsetan wrote:
Paul Willis wrote:

<pricks up ears>

My understanding was that the kit that Brian brought from the Borg-Warner plant in Letchworth came from the Model Shop rather than the production shop. As it happened, my parents lived in Letchworth from 1968, my Father worked in the offices of Borg-Warner until his passing at the end of '73, but was only on 'nodding' terms with Brian. My Dad had access to the 'pool' cars for visits to suppliers, which gave me a chance to drive one of only three Lotus Cortina Mk.II Automatics, 3-speed iirc, ever made. Dad didn't let me drive it far, but I did find that the full-throttle shift from 2nd occurred at 90mph...

Ted.

After completing my engineering training at Ford Motor Company I joined their Service Division, initially in the Technical Service section. As the new boy I was given responsibility for several unpopular areas, one of which was automatic transmissions, which essentially meant BW Type 35s. What fun I had.

Return to “Product Information”