Kirk 4mm LNER coach kits

For new product announcements, recommendations, reviews and sourcing. Must be relevant to society members.
Steve Carter

Kirk 4mm LNER coach kits

Postby Steve Carter » Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:21 am

I have received a notification today to say that as of Saturday 17th December the ownership and rights etc. to the Kirk 4mm LNER coach kits is now with Phoenix Precision Paints Ltd.

Further detail can be found at https://www.phoenix-paints.co.uk/products/lner-coaches.
Steve Carter

Jol Wilkinson

Re: Kirk 4mm LNER coach kits

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:14 am

PPP have also bought the Mailcoach range (see my post viewtopic.php?f=40&t=8414&p=94961#p94961).

The Mallard/Blacksmith range may still be in the hands of Paul Dunn, although I fear that they may be lost forever, if the tooling disappeared when Photo Etch Consultants closed

Daddyman

Postby Daddyman » Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:03 pm

Thanks for posting Steve. However, judging by the time it took PPP to get the DMR kits out, I suspect these will be a few years away.

Also, were these kits any good? It's a range I was too young to ever have much experience of, but I seem to remember badly recessed glazing?

Steve Carter

Postby Steve Carter » Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:44 pm

Daddyman wrote:Thanks for posting Steve. However, judging by the time it took PPP to get the DMR kits out, I suspect these will be a few years away.

Also, were these kits any good? It's a range I was too young to ever have much experience of, but I seem to remember badly recessed glazing?

Clicking on the link provided by PPP brings up this -

'L.N.E.R. Coaches

As of Saturday 17th December 2022, Phoenix Precision Paints Ltd. now own the tooling and the rights to the 4mm (OO gauge) Kirk and Mailcoach LNER kits and the GWR Monster.

We have now started to upload products to this section, with all items set to 'out of stock'.  If a product has been uploaded, we have the tooling to produce it. 
We also collected a lot of stock, However, as far as we can (currently) tell, no complete kits.
As we catalogue this stock, and mould parts to complete each kit, we will update each coach or set to allow the purchase of said kits.

We will be working to get these into production as soon as possible, however, it is likely to be at least 3 - 6 months before any completely new production becomes available.

In order to help us prioritise the work, we would appreciate people sending an email to sales@phoenix-paints.co.uk using Kirk Coaches as the subject line and telling us what you would like to see available first.

We regret that we cannot, and will not, enter into discussions about any product ordered or paid for prior to the 17th December 2022. All queries relating to prior outstanding orders should be addressed to Paul Dunn. See the news page for contact details.'

Hope that helps?

Steve Carter

Daddyman

Postby Daddyman » Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:58 pm

Thanks Steve, but that's more about what PPP hope to do, and as said, with the DMR kits, their initial target was quite a few years out.

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:36 pm

David Stapleton of PPP called me, asking if I would post the information for them on RMweb, which I also added on the S4 Forum .

David's background in in plastics moulding and he has many years experience. He has yet to check out the moulds but has the same machinery as they were originally used on (as well as several others of varying capacity). Paul Dunn didn't, AFAIK, have a suitable machine and tried unsuccessfully to adapt the one he did have.

The other issue when taking over a new range, is how well it is documented/catalogued. Not well seems to be the norm, which invariably causes delays. I believe the 4mm ABS range has been in new hands for at least a year but the owner is still sorting it out. Perseverance/Westward has found a new home and it too will take some time to sort out. There are other examples where products have changed ownership, only to sink from sight, Craftsman being one of them.

kelly

Postby kelly » Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:32 pm

As they already have the Southern Kirk kits, I'd imagine they're more familiar with the mould type and other aspects.

The NNK range was the one I believe they had the most trouble getting back into production and it is likely I believe never to be so other than what is already released.

They've also recently taken over the Metro Models range, so they'll be working on adapting and evaluating that.

When I've spoken with David at shows he's suggested that their possible path forward with some of the kits that are etched is to replace them with injection moulding as they have the facilities to do that in house much easier. But that is a 'time will see' type of situation rather than a definite thing.
DEMU UPDate Editor
DEMU
Photos on Flickr

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:23 pm

Daddyman wrote:Also, were these kits any good?

My only experience with the Kirk kits is with the Gresley Third Brake which I was using as the basis for part of a weedkilling train so I certainly can't comment on the range as a whole. In the case of the one I'm building, the sides are OK if a little thick but the curve at the top of the ends and the roof profile are completely wrong.

I did source a replacement aluminium roof with cast ends but I've not, as yet, done anything with them...

iak

Postby iak » Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:14 pm

My namesakes coach kits can the basis of decent models.
Basically the more you put in, the better the results.
I can see Steve Banks' website getting some hits.
Cut and shut time anybody?
Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest
enemy of truth....
Albert Einstein

Perfection is impossible.
But I may choose to serve perfection....
Robert Fripp

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PadgateWorks/

Daddyman

Postby Daddyman » Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:37 pm

John Donnelly wrote:
Daddyman wrote:Also, were these kits any good?

My only experience with the Kirk kits is with the Gresley Third Brake which I was using as the basis for part of a weedkilling train so I certainly can't comment on the range as a whole. In the case of the one I'm building, the sides are OK if a little thick but the curve at the top of the ends and the roof profile are completely wrong.

I did source a replacement aluminium roof with cast ends but I've not, as yet, done anything with them...

Thanks, John.

Return to “Product Information”