Railway Modeller archive

For new product announcements, recommendations, reviews and sourcing. Must be relevant to society members.
Martin Wynne

Railway Modeller archive

Postby Martin Wynne » Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:10 am

Railway Modeller magazine have today announced that their digital subscribers now have access to the entire searchable back number archive of RM, back to the very first issues in 1949. Over 800 magazines. All those classic issues, all those CJF track plans, all those loco and wagon drawings.

I may be gone for some time. :)

Martin.
40+ years developing Templot. Enjoy using Templot? Join Templot Club. Be a Templot supporter.

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Re: Railway Modeller archive

Postby Paul Willis » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:50 am

Martin Wynne wrote:Railway Modeller magazine have today announced that their digital subscribers now have access to the entire searchable back number archive of RM, back to the very first issues in 1949. Over 800 magazines. All those classic issues, all those CJF track plans, all those loco and wagon drawings.

Thank you Martin - those rolling stock articles are a definite draw for me.

I may be exploring later...

Cheers
Paul
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

DougN

Postby DougN » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:37 am

I think this is fantastic. It is one of the things missing from all the current crop of mags. They are missing all the drawings of rollingstock and railway infrastructure. Curiously I am keen on the building photos and plans from old mags. For some reason at the moment I am drawn to making buildings connected to the railways. Its one of the things I was going to do with the estate's collection of old railway modellers from the 60's to early 80's was to go through them looking for interesting plans etc and scan them for future use!
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

John Bateson

Postby John Bateson » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:13 am

Once upon a time I read RM regularly - not sure why I stopped but the local newsagent went AWOL.

Not too sure also what is meant by a digital subscriber. The pages on iSubscribe seem to offer a good price but this is for a paper delivery.
Is there a seperate category for web delivery? Or does this come automatically with the paper delivery?

John
Slaving away still on GCR stuff ...

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:22 am

Maybe it means subscribing direct with Peco to a digital version? Much as I’d like to trawl through some old memories I think I’d struggle to justify a regular copy in any form these days. I get it once a year maybe to keep up with trade adverts. It would almost be another hobby reading through my modelling past.

How they have done this is remarkable. When I approached Steve Flint a few years ago about republishing the Ward-Platt ‘Keeping on the rails’ article he just went and found the issue concerned and scanned it. Maybe they had someone during lockdown ploughing through them all!

Philip
Phil

Noel

Postby Noel » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:34 am

For digital editions see https://peco-uk.com/pages/publications-digital-editions

It's a long time since I last looked at RM. I used to take it fairly regularly many years ago, and kept a lot of old copies for some time after I lost interest in it, but ended up chucking them away before one of my house moves, as they took up too much space for negligible return. Some of the drawings series were notoriously unreliable.
Regards
Noel

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:20 am

Are the period adverts included? Sometimes they're more interesting than the articles!

Martin Wynne

Postby Martin Wynne » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:55 am

John Bateson wrote:Not too sure also what is meant by a digital subscriber. The pages on iSubscribe seem to offer a good price but this is for a paper delivery. Is there a seperate category for web delivery? Or does this come automatically with the paper delivery?

Hi John,

I know nothing about iSubscribe, but here are the details from Peco. The digital subscription is included free with a print subscription, including the archive access, or by itself costs £8.75 per 3 months. The cover price of RM in the shops is £4.95.

rm_subs.jpg

cheers,

Martin.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
40+ years developing Templot. Enjoy using Templot? Join Templot Club. Be a Templot supporter.

Daddyman

Postby Daddyman » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:24 pm

Noel wrote: Some of the drawings series were notoriously unreliable.

That was my first reaction to the news, but I didn't want to rain on the parade. There have been some very misleading drawings, even in very recent years.

Martin Wynne

Postby Martin Wynne » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:43 pm

Free one-hour access to the archive for non-subscribers:

https://www.facebook.com/RailwayModelle ... 6361190016

You might like to start by looking at the seminal articles on P4 loco chassis construction by Tony Miles and David Goodwin - January 1982 issue, page 8.

It's possible to download PDFs of any content as 2-page spreads. Use your hour wisely. :)

Martin.

Winander

Postby Winander » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:12 pm

Martin Wynne wrote:You might like to start by looking at the seminal articles on P4 loco chassis construction by Tony Miles and David Goodwin - January 1982 issue, page 8.
Martin.

Continued in February page 52, March page 92 and May page 168.
Richard Hodgson
Organiser Scalefour Virtual Group. Our meeting invitation is here.

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:09 pm

Martin Wynne wrote:Railway Modeller magazine have today announced that their digital subscribers now have access to the entire searchable back number archive of RM, back to the very first issues in 1949. Over 800 magazines. All those classic issues, all those CJF track plans, all those loco and wagon drawings.

I may be gone for some time. :)

Martin.

Classic layouts, yes, loco and wagon drawings, maybe, CJF trackplans?......hmm maybe not! :twisted:

Steve

dclift

Postby dclift » Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:42 am

Prompted by Neil Smith’s recent query about Ackton Hall Colliery wagons, I dug out my photocopies of the articles on Private Owner wagons that appeared in Model Railway News over the years and started making a list of the companies concerned. Unfortunately I only have MRN back as far as 1950 and I know that there were articles before then. Joe Greaves’ "Index of Private Owner Wagons & Tankers" (which can be found at, amongst other places, https://www.steamindex.com/carrwagon/powindex.htm) tells me that descriptions of many of the wagons depicted have since appeared elsewhere, but several of the thirty five books that he references are out of print. If anyone would like a copy of my list when I finish it, let me know.
David Clift.

ralphrobertson

Postby ralphrobertson » Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:18 am

You might like to start by looking at the seminal articles on P4 loco chassis construction by Tony Miles and David Goodwin - January 1982 issue, page 8.

If anyone wants a PDF of those articles PM me. I have a set of typewritten pages which goes to 17 page that Dave Goodwin gave me prior to the RM articles being published as well as scans of the RM articles together with photos which cover all 4 separate articles over 11 pages. It makes interesting reading.

Don't forget to add your email address to the request please.

Ralph

Edited at add request for email add.
Last edited by ralphrobertson on Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:01 am

The one hour trial seems to have had a time limit which has now expired. There is one article I'd like to read so will have a look at Peco's website tosee if they still offer a trial.

Philip

Rod Cameron

Postby Rod Cameron » Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:18 pm

If it's P4 related the archive probably has a copy - let me know.
Rod

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:58 pm

ralphrobertson wrote:

If anyone wants a PDF of those articles PM me. I have a set of typewritten pages which goes to 17 page that Dave Goodwin gave me prior to the RM articles being published as well as scans of the RM articles together with photos which cover all 4 separate articles over 11 pages. It makes interesting reading.

Ralph

I've got a set of sheets that include hand drawn illustrations of the methods employed - but nowhere near 17 pages! They do say a drawing is worth a thousand words. Also given to me by Dave more years ago than I can remember - and I've used a couple of the ideas therein when building a tender for my Dean Goods recently. Some things never date.

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:01 pm

Rod Cameron wrote:If it's P4 related the archive probably has a copy - let me know.

Thanks Rod, but it’s not P4. It’s March 1981, the railway of the month article by W Dennis Doyle. I had a big clear out years ago and somehow this one slipped through. I have asked another member who has magazine archives so something may come up!

Philip

iak

Postby iak » Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:40 am

Winander wrote:
Martin Wynne wrote:You might like to start by looking at the seminal articles on P4 loco chassis construction by Tony Miles and David Goodwin - January 1982 issue, page 8.
Martin.

Continued in February page 52, March page 92 and May page 168.

Seminal articles from two wonderful modellers, both of whom I was fortunate to have called good friends. It's also worth looking up David's wagon bashing articles. Those Slaters kits have many cunning uses...
Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest
enemy of truth....
Albert Einstein

Perfection is impossible.
But I may choose to serve perfection....
Robert Fripp

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PadgateWorks/

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:24 pm

Thanks to Winander of this parish I now have a copy of the RM article. Many thanks to Richard.

Philip

Return to “Product Information”