ModelMaster Jackson Evans

For new product announcements, recommendations, reviews and sourcing. Must be relevant to society members.
DaveHarris

ModelMaster Jackson Evans

Postby DaveHarris » Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:00 pm

I have just received an email from the gentleman informing me that he is standing as MP next year, so is winding up his business. Only existing outstanding orders will be completed, and stocks will be run down to exhaustion, with no discounts!

Enigma

Re: ModelMaster Jackson Evans

Postby Enigma » Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:58 am

So he's definite that he will get in then? And which election is this? Not aware of any general or by-elections in the offing.

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:48 pm

There seems to be no mention of this in his website, which seems strange. As Paul says, he’s confident of getting elected?

Philip

CornCrake

Postby CornCrake » Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:02 pm

Would that be Holyrood 2021?

DaveHarris

Postby DaveHarris » Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:49 pm

His email says he is standing for the Scottish parliamentary election 2021

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:41 am

Politics seems to be one of the few safe ways of making a living these days.
That would be an ecumenical matter.

bécasse

Postby bécasse » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:53 am

Horsetan wrote:Politics seems to be one of the few safe ways of making a living these days.

....... provided that you wear a stab-proof back plate!

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:27 am

DaveHarris wrote:I have just received an email from the gentleman informing me that he is standing as MP next year, so is winding up his business. Only existing outstanding orders will be completed, and stocks will be run down to exhaustion, with no discounts!

I guess those loco kits will never see the light of day, then.

PhilD

Postby PhilD » Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:44 pm

Three years since the last post on here about Modelmaster Jackson Evans, this is my experience...

I placed an order with them/him in May 2020, during lockdown, for 2no N15 resin loco bodies and Etched Brass Chassis Kits for my emerging Mlngavie station layout. Deposit of £80 was paid with order and the balance paid last January when he called me to take final payment. Total of just under £150.

When he phoned for payment of the balance he did apologise for the ongoing delay due to various factors outwith his control (I had chased the order a couple of times previously with similar response), and estimated the order would be ready in 3-5 months which would have taken us to the April - June period. So far I’ve given him the benefit of any doubt, at the back of my mind assuming he was genuine and I’d ordered a few times before. Although I requested at the time he has not so far issued a final invoice.

Of course, the items have never arrived and the order still shows on the website as 'Processing in progress'.

It had slipped my mind to chase this again until a few days ago when I checked the website and the order was still showing as processing. The website says don’t email or text and instructs you to phone a mobile number between 12 and 1.30 only, as this allows him to get on with his work uninterrupted at other times.

Anyway calling the mobile takes you to voicemail which promptly announces the mailbox is full and terminates the call. I tried this a couple of times. It also says he’s decided to retire and sell the business but not immediately.

Looks like I've no option but to pursue a refund through my credit card provider.

Anyone else had a similar experience?

Phil

Daddyman

Postby Daddyman » Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:13 pm

Yes, but didn't lose as much as you. Things work fine with him as long as you order something that's in stock. It's when something is out of stock, that the endless promises start. And at that point even cussing him doesn't work.

My advice is don't order (much less pay for) anything that's not shown as "in stock" on the website.

I seem to remember I had the same problem as you with the phone number a year or so ago, but then another one surfaced, maybe on RMWeb. Have you asked there?

PhilD

Postby PhilD » Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:22 pm

Had a look at RMWeb but that topic was closed to further posts earlier this months. I guess that tells us something...

Daddyman

Postby Daddyman » Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:30 pm

PhilD wrote:Had a look at RMWeb but that topic was closed to further posts earlier this months. I guess that tells us something...

Found an invoice from May 2022 with the number 07795 499 405, which is different from the one on the website. Hopefully that might help.

Don't suppose you paid by Paypal? He says ask him not Paypal for a refund as he gets charged £24 by them. Very tempting...
Last edited by Daddyman on Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:42 pm

I did pay by PayPal, which was very helpful in the end. I ordered some number plates in mid-April , chased them in May before we went on a long holiday and they still hadn't arrived upon our return. In July I phoned the new number on the website and got a lost property office who had the phone after it had been left at a bus stop! I phoned a couple of times and got a voicemail. I suppose it was inevitable it was going to go downhill from there, so I emailed again and gave him one week or I would take it up with PayPal, which after an extra week I did. I had an immediate (same day) refund from PayPal. I hadn't expected the refund would be so quick.

The odd thing is that a friend had ordered some plates a few weeks before me and got them straight away. I also noticed that the website asked that refunds not be processed through PayPal as there would be a penalty for ModelMaster if I did. Well I got fed up and just did it. It was also (worryingly) noticeable that the website - the last time I looked - was asking for bank transfers rather than credit cards.

The words 'touch' and 'bargepole' seem appropriate, but it had a happy ending. I called 247 Developments and the plates arrived very promptly...

Philip
Last edited by Philip Hall on Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Porcy Mane

Postby Porcy Mane » Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:58 pm

PhilD wrote:
Anyone else had a similar experience?

Phil

I had bought form the proprietor both at shows and via the modelmaster website and had received exemplary service. That was until August 2020 when things started to go a little surreal. All the items I ordered were described as being in stock. Excuses on non delivery went from the sublime to ridiculous but at least reading the front page of the modelmasters website was entertaining.

Excuses were everything from running for parliament, winter storms, impending retirement, property flooded, business being sold etc., etc.

Despite non delivery of the first (small) order and taking into account Modelmaster was a small business and might be struggling to recover post lockdowns, another order was placed in Dec. 2022. All items were shown in stock. Like you, both my orders are still showing as "processing in progress" on the website. All attempts and contact have come to nought.

Until reading your post I'd forgotten about the order. Maybe I'll try chasing it up but reading the various posts on RMweb I don't hold out much hope on reimbursement. I'd much rather have the transfers.

Seems like modelmasters ebay shop has been closed and Paypal is no longer taking payment for this business.

The last screenshot I took of the websites front page.

M~M-BS(1)_07-06-2023.JPG

Daddyman wrote:
I seem to remember I had the same problem as you with the phone number a year or so ago, but then another one surfaced, maybe on RMWeb. Have
you asked there?

You've probable seen these threads, three of a few on RMweb.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/175859-mo ... er/page/7/

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/182117-mo ... nt-5313353

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/131094-mo ... nt-3040451

I suspect that the proprietors next book may be entitled, "The Modelmaster guide to Smoke & Mirrors"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

iak

Postby iak » Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:53 pm

Well I never even got notified to pay the balance's on the NBR resin locos and chassis I ordered...
Annoying and very disappointing :shock:
Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest
enemy of truth....
Albert Einstein

Perfection is impossible.
But I may choose to serve perfection....
Robert Fripp

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PadgateWorks/

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Sun Oct 29, 2023 5:51 pm

To be fair, that all sounds like he's an ideal candidate to run for Parliament. He could hardly do any worse than those who are already in it or those who have recently left it....

Return to “Product Information”