Miscellany Models

For new product announcements, recommendations, reviews and sourcing. Must be relevant to society members.
Mark Tatlow

Miscellany Models

Postby Mark Tatlow » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:22 pm

I am now able to offer a number of the models that I have been developing over the last few months (and years!). I am producing these under the name of Miscellany Models and you can see more details of these either there or on my blog. https://highlandmiscellany.com/

First up is a Highland Railway/LMS/BR diagram 51 full brake - priced at £48.00 for a 4mm and is suitable for OO, EM or P4. These were the last generation of full brake produced by the Highland, built with both cupboard doors and sliding doors as well as alternative forms of guards duckets (all of these are included in the kit). The kit inclusive of fully sprung Fox bogies (see below), roof, corridor connections (also see below) but all castings and buffers will need to be sourced separately. The castings for the bogies are proposed, but are not presently available.

IMG_0368 (2).JPG

As was common with many pre-grouping coaches these vehicles utilised Fox Bogies (£16.00) and these are being made separately to the remainder of the kit, These bogies have been developed in conjunction with Justin at Rumney Models and are fully sprung, with both the axleboxes and the bolsters sprung. They really do glide across track and look as if they weigh many tons rather than a few grams! They need castings for your favoured axleboxes/springs and bolsters but do include the foot steps and all of the bogies sides, brakes and details.

IMG_0525 (3).JPG

The second coach kit is for a MR/LMS/BR: Dia 530 Passenger Brake – priced at £36.00 in 4mm scale. Although the same as the old Slaters plastic kit, there are a lot of uncomfortable compromises and this seeks to create a much better model. This prototype was built in some numbers and by the 1920s they were spread extensively across the LMS system. The kit is for full etches covering the roof, body, underframe and footboards plus parts for the sliding central axle included. It needs axlebox/springs (available from Branchlines or Coopercraft), gas lamps, buffers, brake and gas cylinders.

IMG_0048 (3).JPG

On the wagon front, there is an etch to detail the NER/LNER/BR: Dia P7 Hopper Wagon – £13.50 4mm (sufficient for two wagons). They cater for a large number of the variants to this numerous and long lasting hopper wagon. Needs wheels and the Slaters kit P7 kit for the donor model. Variants that can be made include the end braked version, improved components for the Morton braked version, outside twin W irons and also the anti-friction wheel device.

_DSC0211compress.JPG

All of these are available from my website https://miscellanymodels.com/ and in addition to this from the Rumney Models stand at the following shows - Scalefour North in April, Railex in May, Scalefourum in September and South Hants in November,

All of these have been extensively road tested by me with a couple of test builds for each of them. You can see this unfold on my blog and if you are interested in seeing how they go together do take a look!

Please remember that the availability of these models is an adjunct to my own hobby and this has to be accommodated within the constraints of my day job and general life! In particular I can't get to post these orders until Saturdays so do please give me a little slack when it comes to getting the goods to you!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark Tatlow

Guy Rixon

Re: Miscellany Models

Postby Guy Rixon » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:41 pm

These look very nice indeed. I've just been reading the instruction for the Fox bogies, which may suit some of my SECR coaches.

Concerning those instructions, a few points remain unclear to me, even after a second reading.
[*] Are the pins one which the coach body bears included or not? At one point the instructions say the builder has to provide them and at another that they are included. If they are not included, it would be good to state the size needed.
[*] It's not immediately obvious how the bolster works. If I've understood correctly, the bolster can only move up and down in its guide - no lateral motion - and just transmits the load into the bogie frame via the springs and the guide, the latter being fast to the frame. The bogie is fixed to the coach only by the bolt (and possibly tube) passing through a circular hole in the bottom plate of the bolster guide. Correct?
[*] Assuming I've understood the mechanics, the bogie has to tilt about the bolt/tube passing through the plate in the bolster guide. How much clearance is needed here in the hole through the plate?
[*] Is there clearance between the bolster and bolster guide for paint, or do these parts need to stay in bare metal?

I think the design (if I've understood it) is excellent.

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:23 pm

Mark,

those all look great.

It might be a good idea to remove the reference to Coopercraft for the axlebox/springs for the present as there seems to be some issues over his ability to supply products, unless you have recent knowledge.

Externally sourced parts such as etches and lost wax brass castings may be available, it is the moulded plastic kits and parts that he seems unable to produce and supply. Your instructions refer to a Slaters part, which I think may not now be available through Coopercraft.

Jol

kelly

Postby kelly » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:45 pm

Those look useful, the P7 etches especially as I'm building some atm and haven't dealt with the brake items as yet thankfully, so funds permitting I'll get some at S4N hopefully.

The coach connectors look useful too, do you plan to do other types? such as the Pullman type, which the Southern and BR Mk1 stock used?
DEMU UPDate Editor
DEMU
Photos on Flickr

Mark Tatlow

Postby Mark Tatlow » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:29 am

Thanks Jol/Kelly; I'll be at Scalefour North on the Saturday and Justin will have a stack of these on his stand.

I have inserted a caution about Coopercraft in the instructions but I am not joining in on what I think to be a witch-hunt. I did buy some of the axleboxes/springs from him at Railwells. The NER hopper is now sold by Slaters, which is what I have linked the instructions and listing too.

Guy, am dashing out now - I work through your points this evening.
Mark Tatlow

Phil O

Postby Phil O » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:28 am

I would agree with the cautionary note about Pauk Dunn (CooperCraft), if you want the bits only buy directly from him at a show.

Phil.

Mark Tatlow

Postby Mark Tatlow » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:45 pm

Guy,

Regarding your questions.

You are correct that the bolster does indeed slide up and down without being able to twist or indeed slide sideways. This is achieved by it having on a spring (formed of guitar wire) passing through it and supported slightly raised on the underside of the body of the bogie. This spring can move up and down because there are slots on the bolster guide but these same slots prohibit sideways movement. I can't claim the design of this, as I mentioned these are a collaboration with Justin Newitt and it is his ingenuity that came up with this!

The bolster and their guide are a snug but not tight fit; so no room for paint!

I am not absolutely certain of your point on the clearance for the bearing. Actually, I have redrafted the instructions to point the user to mounting a bolt firmly to the floor of the coach and securing the bogie on with a nut. Otherwise, it can rock a bit simply on the looseness of the thread of the bolt and the length of the protruding bolt magnifies this.

Thanks for pointing out the contradiction on the provision of the pins - now clarified.

As noted, Justin has been good enough to agree to retail these at the shows he attends (mail orders come to me via the website). He will have an example of each coach at Scalefour North (including this bogie) and one of the P7 hoppers so by all means come and have a look.

Mark
Mark Tatlow

Mark Tatlow

Postby Mark Tatlow » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:51 pm

kelly wrote:The coach connectors look useful too, do you plan to do other types? such as the Pullman type, which the Southern and BR Mk1 stock used?

Sorry, missed this earlier Kelly.

Probably not on basis that I am unlikely to need them for my own modelling and these products are effectively a spin off of this.

Having said this, the Highland section of the LMS did receive a pullman diner in my period so never say never. The problem with that is that I have two built dining cars already and another two in their wrappers. Quite where I am going to put four dining cars is a mystery already even with my rather elaborate back story ( https://highlandmiscellany.com/2013/01/) so a fifth would hardly be sensible!!!
Mark Tatlow

Return to “Product Information”