Exactoscale Products

For new product announcements, recommendations, reviews and sourcing. Must be relevant to society members.
Albert Hall

Re: Exactoscale Products

Postby Albert Hall » Sat Aug 19, 2023 4:34 pm

During my time working at C+L we were the sole distributors of Exactoscale driving wheels. We could literally go a few months at a time without selling any, presumably due to cost and limited range covering mostly LNER/GER prototypes. The only other ones were the GWR King and one tank loco (56xx?) plus the Southern N class mogul. To the best of my recollection we only restocked once in that time and when I say restocked I mean only around ten wheelsets of each type for the ones which had actually sold. A batch of five assembly jigs was manufactured and I believe we sold two. Not cheap but just a one off cost for a tool which could have been used repeatedly or even shared. I bought one myself but think I gave it away unused.

There was talk towards the end of my time there of expanding the range but it came to nowt as other issues with the business diverted the focus. It never got as far as discussing which prototypes were to be proposed. Len Newman was still there in the background as a consultant to the business but I was led to believe that his failing health meant he was unable to actively contribute.

The few reviews I read on these wheels were very positive. I firmly believe that what was once invented then disappeared could just as easily be reinvented with the right will to do so. A downside would be the number of finescale modellers who have moved on to diesel and electric traction naturally limiting the demand for steam loco driving wheels.

Roy

nigelcliffe

Postby nigelcliffe » Sat Aug 19, 2023 4:41 pm

The cost of tooling for a new range, or even new wheel, using traditional injection moulding is prohibitive. Hence nobody doing it.

3D printing routes work, but at present are largely people doing it for themselves (I think David Lane might take commissions). That's probably the future given how good the output from resin printers has become. The question is then the accuracy of mounting the centre into a tyre and onto an axle, plus accuracy of crankpin fitting.

- Nigel
( designer of the current 2mm Scale Association wheel range, which is 3D printed, but using a technique which would be prohibitively expensive in 4mm scale )

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Sat Aug 19, 2023 5:17 pm

I think that the range should be reintroduced, but re-evaluated as to which additional wheels are best. I don't see many Kings, A3's or Duchesses in P4 as locos of that size require substantial financial outlay and time, whereas smaller locos are seen time and again by modellers, in all gauges. These are the targets. A quick and easy loco, upgraded substantially by top of the range wheels, might encourage more P4 modellers.
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Crepello

Postby Crepello » Sat Aug 19, 2023 7:43 pm

nigelcliffe wrote:The cost of tooling for a new range, or even new wheel, using traditional injection moulding is prohibitive. Hence nobody doing it.
3D printing routes work, but at present are largely people doing it for themselves (I think David Lane might take commissions). That's probably the future given how good the output from resin printers has become. The question is then the accuracy of mounting the centre into a tyre and onto an axle, plus accuracy of crankpin fitting.

You can add doubts about the long term stability of the resins under load, as with a weighted loco stored upright on its wheels.

Your DIY route realistically requires the survival of an industry producing finished wheels so that tyres and crankpins may be procured as a by-product. Aggregate investment by multiple modellers biting the bullet and making those as well as the centres might overtake that for commercial production tooling. Result? More people sticking with RTR?

nigelcliffe

Postby nigelcliffe » Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:33 pm

Crepello wrote:
nigelcliffe wrote:The cost of tooling for a new range, or even new wheel, using traditional injection moulding is prohibitive. Hence nobody doing it.

You can add doubts about the long term stability of the resins under load, as with a weighted loco stored upright on its wheels.

Your DIY route realistically requires the survival of an industry producing finished wheels so that tyres and crankpins may be procured as a by-product. Aggregate investment by multiple modellers biting the bullet and making those as well as the centres might overtake that for commercial production tooling. Result? More people sticking with RTR?

Not necessarily (*). Rims are standard, they come in certain diameters. Same rim does a 16,17,18 spoke, crank-in-line crank-between, etc.. Crankpins are the same for all wheel sizes. Both suitable for modest volume CNC turning, and coming out as fairly cheap per item (one could order a mix-bucket of rims in a variety of sizes, have to sort them of course, but a much smaller quantity of each size can be ordered that way).

The expensive bit is the centre, in whatever material one chooses, and assembling the finished wheel.

( * that earlier footnote about designing the 2mm loco wheel range, I have been through a lot of cost calculations...)

- Nigel

Crepello

Postby Crepello » Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:47 pm

nigelcliffe wrote:Rims are standard, they come in certain diameters. Same rim does a 16,17,18 spoke, crank-in-line crank-between, etc.

Glad you said that. An idea we could lean in to. I asked Len Newman whether the Exactoscale rims profiles were CNC generated rather than formed, and he confirmed they were. Hopefully the programming data has been preserved. Maybe there are even residual stocks of bare tyres?

nigelcliffe wrote:Crankpins are the same for all wheel sizes. Both suitable for modest volume CNC turning, and coming out as fairly cheap per item (one could order a mix-bucket of rims in a variety of sizes, have to sort them of course, but a much smaller quantity of each size can be ordered that way).

I used to attend social gatherings with Brian Rogers in attendance. One of his favourite topics was the vast quantity of crankpin parts required for a minimum order from his suppliers.

Albert Hall

Postby Albert Hall » Sun Aug 20, 2023 7:06 am

nigelcliffe wrote: ...the vast quantity of crankpin parts required for a minimum order from his suppliers.

Totally agree. Certain components were completely uneconomical to restock as an engineering company capable of manufacturing them required an order in the multiple tens of thousands to make it worth their while setting up their machine tools. For something like wagon bearings, even if we could sell a thousand a year of each type it would probably have taken a few decades to shift them. A lot of
capital outlay sitting on the shelf for a company with limited turnover. The only items which needed restocking at least once every year was rail which was produced in batches of around 50kg in 4mm scale and over 100 kg in 7mm scale. Expensive!
Roy

best33

Re: Exactoscale Driving wheels

Postby best33 » Wed Aug 30, 2023 12:00 pm

Will L wrote:Mark

Just checking you are aware of my write up on the use of these wheels see here Buck Jumping on Mass - Index. I assume not because the fisrt thing I say is that I have a copy of the instructions.

Thanks Will.

Makes interesting reading!

I have four Kings and one N Class to do with them so I have no margin for error given the availability of spares!

Mark Humphrys

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Wed Aug 30, 2023 1:32 pm

I've 3 N's but I might sell one as it's in SR livery. Unless I backdate the layout I'd have to repaint it.
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Return to “Product Information”