Exactoscale Products

For new product announcements, recommendations, reviews and sourcing. Must be relevant to society members.
Le Corbusier

Re: Exactoscale Products

Postby Le Corbusier » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:15 pm

Nice looking piece of website design :thumb
Tim Lee

andrew jukes

Postby andrew jukes » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:32 pm

When is it expected that the Societies stores will have track components and have pricing available ?

Sorry, but I'm not going to spend time answering questions when the answers are on the site.

Andrew

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:05 am

Probably the clearest and most logical website I have seen in many a long year. Many thanks, Andrew. Even better is that the prices I have looked at have come down!

Philip

Tony Sullivan

Postby Tony Sullivan » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:42 am

Philip, You were sitting next to it's creator David McCarthy last Tuesday at the SHAG meeting!

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:52 pm

Tony,

Sometimes being anonymous is good. You can bask in the praise when it all works but nobody knows who to blame when it doesn’t!

Philip

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:51 pm

As is mentioned on their web site, Exactoscale will be present at Scaleforum although you will not find an entry in the list of traders or see the stand marked on the floor plan in the show guide. This is because the guide had gone to press before we had all the details - and that is not a criticism of the company.

The Exactoscale stand will be found nest to the Society stand and opposite the Society stores.

Terry Bendall

kelly

Postby kelly » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:32 pm

The website is nicely laid out with clear information. Great to see!
DEMU UPDate Editor
DEMU
Photos on Flickr

junctionmad

Postby junctionmad » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:22 am

andrew jukes wrote:
When is it expected that the Societies stores will have track components and have pricing available ?

Sorry, but I'm not going to spend time answering questions when the answers are on the site.

Andrew

I read through the site and I note the dates. However my question was more directed at the Societies Stores officer , in that when was it expected that I can order the components through the Societies stores because as yet there is no additions to the stores lists

Thanks

Dave

andrew jukes

Postby andrew jukes » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:11 am

OK. I was mostly surprised at the question about pricing.

The standard price list applies to all outlets and is available on the site. The 'online service charge' will apply to all purchases from, and only from, the Exactoscale Products site. It is defined in my announcement as (currently) 10%, added to the total of products ordered.

As you recognise, start of business from the Societies is at least partly in the hands of the Societies. Depending on how our own sales go at Scaleforum, stock levels may need some rebuilding. Our aim is to have all outlets functioning by the end of October.

Andrew

andrew jukes

Postby andrew jukes » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:21 am

The Exactoscale Products website is now live.

see exactoscale.com

I am advised that adjustments have been to speed up loading of the site.
For fastest access, use:

https://exactoscale.com/

Andrew

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:52 pm

The Society Stores (members only) have now started to list Exactoscale items. I listed various track components tonight, and I believe rolling stock wheels will be listed in the coming weeks.

Members can log in and order here: www.scalefour.org/members/stores

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:31 am

John McAleely wrote:The Society Stores (members only) have now started to list Exactoscale items.

A good move. Is it planned to offer the various turnout components in due course? Cutting the plain rail is easy but one of the advantages of the original kits was the inclusion of ready made switch blade assemblies and the common crossing. Will these be available?

Terry Bendall

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:43 pm

The Society Stores (members only) now has rolling stock wheels, axles & bearings listed.

Members can log in and order here: www.scalefour.org/members/stores

(I don't know the answer to Terry's question - I assume it is directed to others on this thread)

andrew jukes

Postby andrew jukes » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:53 pm

Terry asks what our plans are for selling rail assemblies for turnouts in future.

Our impression is that the market for the point kits as originally offered has been undermined by two factors.The first is the high price asked for the kits once moved to C&L and the second was the decision to sell the special chairs as a separate product - something I had resisted when in control of the range.

We are planning to introduce a limited range of turnouts priced at only a little more than the cost of the crossing and switch assemblies to test the level of interest. It is unlikely we will offer switch or crossing assemblies separately.

egards

Andrew Jukes

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:33 am

My thanks to Andrew for his reply. When they were introduced I think the Exactoscale turnout kits were a real boon to those who were starting in P4 and made things a lot easier than in the past. As someone who has spent a lot of time on the Society stand at exhibitions it was certainly an advantage to say that turnout kits were available at a reasonable price (when first produced) where with little more skill level than that needed to build an Airfix kit would almost certainly give 100% reliability.

It will be very helpful If even a limited range of kits will continue to be available that include all the rail components since I think this will help those new to working to P4 standards and if it can be done at a realistic price both for the supplier and the buyer then even better. Having the complete kits available avoids the need for supplying switches and crossing separately.

Terry Bendall

dal-t

Postby dal-t » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:23 am

As an active 'Airfix' modeller, but with a full set of singed fingertips from years of solder and PCB track construction, I can confirm that building a simple turnout, whether from prepared bits or from raw lengths of rail and sleeper, is a darn sight easier than producing a fully detailed version of one of the 'new mould' products from Margate. Anyone with doubts might start by trying to fit a photo-etch magazine for the forward-firing gun in the cockpit of the 1/72 Swordfish - there may in theory be room for it (just) between the stick, instrument panel and cockpit coaming, but on two separate builds I've failed to insert it successfully. By contrast, working out which special chairs go where on a B6 is just like eating gateau ...
David L-T

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:01 pm

……..mmm - gateau...
cake.png

Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:17 pm

I fully understand the reasons for not selling the crossings and switches separately. I bought a fair number of points and built three layouts as a result. I think it was my own limitations and the increasing price of the kits, post original Exactoscale/P4 Track Co., that prompted me to buy components. My three-way on Kirkcliffe is a bit of a shambles and in time I'll build a new combined double "v". Perhaps one day I'll build the Midland layout I want !
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Guy Rixon

Postby Guy Rixon » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:43 am

An Exactoscale back-to-back gauge (17.75mm back-to-back) has just come up on ebay, in a lot with some track gauges.

Bill Newstead

Postby Bill Newstead » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:58 am

The gauges just sold on eBay for £36 plus £3.48 postage. There may be some pent up demand for these (hint).

Steve Taylor

Postby Steve Taylor » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:56 pm

Speaking as one of the bidders, I would certainly welcome the return of the b2b gauge.

jmorling

Postby jmorling » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:39 pm

The point kits no longer seem to be listed on the Exactoscale site which is disappointing as I was hoping the full range would become available again. I agree that the pricing under the last vendor was off-putting to say the least, but I do hope they re-appear (at a reasonable price for everyone).

jerry

Martin Wynne

Postby Martin Wynne » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:25 pm

jmorling wrote:The point kits no longer seem to be listed on the Exactoscale site which is disappointing as I was hoping the full range would become available again. I agree that the pricing under the last vendor was off-putting to say the least, but I do hope they re-appear (at a reasonable price for everyone).

Hi Jerry,

On the PDF download version, the turnout kits are crossed through and marked "no longer available".

But the moulded bases and special chairs are still available, for those happy to form their own rails.

cheers,

Martin.
40+ years developing Templot. Enjoy using Templot? Join Templot Club. Be a Templot supporter.

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:38 am

jmorling wrote:The point kits no longer seem to be listed on the Exactoscale site which is disappointing

I believe that there are plans to make a limited range of turnout kits available with one reason being to test the market. One of problems is that the cost of the pre-assembled common crossings and blades is significant. I would suggest that those who want the kits need to make their views known and posing on here would be one way of doing that. If the company can see there is a demand, that might encourage the production.

Martin Wynne wrote:But the moulded bases and special chairs are still available,

And that is half the battle. Not that long ago anyone who wanted to work to P4 standards had to make their own blades and common crossings and it is not that difficult. There are now filing and assembly jigs which make both processes easier so it can be done. :)

Terry Bendall

jmorling

Postby jmorling » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:37 am

Martin, Terry - thanks. Yes, of course it is possible to fabricate one's own rail items but the beauty of the kits was you didn't have to. This is very appealing for those who don't have the time or inclination to do so and are prepared to pay a premium for convenience and consistency. I do absolutely appreciate that making precision components like crossings and switches is expensive but Exactoscale's former pricing suggest they can be made and sold for a reasonable sum. I also appreciate that starting a production run may be seen as a risk but I would suggest there is demand, as witnessed by many newer P4 layouts built using the kits. I would guess there is also demand for separate components.

Hopefully Mr Jukes will realise that there is still a demand for his brilliant product. And I say that sincerely.

Jerry
Edited (a bit)

Return to “Product Information”