Exactoscale Products

For new product announcements, recommendations, reviews and sourcing. Must be relevant to society members.
seanmcs

Re: Exactoscale Products

Postby seanmcs » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:43 pm

I ask if
Exactoscale will be introducing a GWR instanter coupling link for 3-link couplings?

Thanks. Sean in Sydney

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:07 pm

jmorling wrote:Martin, Terry - thanks. Yes, of course it is possible to fabricate one's own rail items but the beauty of the kits was you didn't have to. This is very appealing for those who don't have the time or inclination to do so and are prepared to pay a premium for convenience and consistency. I do absolutely appreciate that making precision components like crossings and switches is expensive but Exactoscale's former pricing suggest they can be made and sold for a reasonable sum. I also appreciate that starting a production run may be seen as a risk but I would suggest there is demand, as witnessed by many newer P4 layouts built using the kits. I would guess there is also demand for separate components.

Hopefully Mr Jukes will realise that there is still a demand for his brilliant product. And I say that sincerely.

Jerry
Edited (a bit)

I hope so. My 1st ever turnout kit was an Exactoscale C10 (building of it is on one one of my threads) and apart from a couple of small issues that were resolved it went together a doddle.

Pricey yes but quality, speed and ease of construction very very yes.
“He who dares not offend cannot be honest.” Thomas Paine

https://www.sparkshotcustomcreations.com/
Mostly 3D Printed Loco kits etc.

SCC Price list (7/4/22)
https://www.sparkshotcustomcreations.co ... e77d42.pdf

Steve Taylor

Postby Steve Taylor » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:14 pm

I appreciate there is a "critical path" in prioritising, producing and bringing back to market this product range, but if ever there were an indicator of a needed product..... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233296696673 ... 1758.m4703 - at 90 minutes to go a S4 exactoscale b2b gauge is commanding almost 60quid. While a p4 gauge is on elsewhere already at almost 25 quid. Something like this capable of accommodating a 6'8" wheel, axle box and High-level gearbox lower case and we would be viewing perfection, as next best thing could we see the return of the original? I'd rather pay yourselves than an eBay opportunist.

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:10 pm

Steve Taylor wrote:.... if ever there were an indicator of a needed product..... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233296696673 ... 1758.m4703 - at 90 minutes to go a S4 exactoscale b2b gauge is commanding almost 60quid...

It went for nearer £65 in the end. Great if you were the seller.

When this particular gauge was still in production (17.87mm back-to-back), I bought one for £20.
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Mark Tatlow

Postby Mark Tatlow » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:32 am

Would anyone be able to send a scan of the instructions (or point me to an online resource) that used to come in the Exactoscale Working Screw Couplings?

It is the working ones I am interested in, not the non-working equivalent?

Mark
Mark Tatlow

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:40 am

Screw couplings.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Mark Tatlow

Postby Mark Tatlow » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:42 am

Thanks Keith
Mark Tatlow

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:04 pm

re Exactoscale fastrack concrete sleeper bases.
The stores listing shows:
4FT103A P4 gauge concrete sleepers for BH rail (Exactoscale) £8.50 1.95 meters

Am I correct that BH here is a typo and should be FB?
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Tony Wilkins

Postby Tony Wilkins » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:33 am

grovenor-2685 wrote:re Exactoscale fastrack concrete sleeper bases.
The stores listing shows:
4FT103A P4 gauge concrete sleepers for BH rail (Exactoscale) £8.50 1.95 meters

Am I correct that BH here is a typo and should be FB?

Certainly the pack I have on my desk in front of me with that part number is for FB rail.
Regards
Tony.
Inspiration from the past. Dreams for the future.

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:35 pm

With the great and recent loss to our hobby of Andrew Jukes , following departure of Les Newman and Bernard Weller, are there any hopes of the continued supply of Exactoscale products?

Perhaps it is too soon to know if Andrew's family have any provision.

David B

Postby David B » Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:14 pm

The Exactoscale website says it is 'run by a cooperative group of modellers', so it's demise may not be so certain.

best33

Exactoscale Driving wheels

Postby best33 » Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:46 am

Does anybody know where I can get hold of a set of instructions for the Exactoscale locomotive driving wheels. I thought I had downloaded a copy in the past but can’t find it anywhere. I have all the assembly tools but just want to be sure I do it properly. Thanks in anticipation.

Mark Humphrys

Eastern

Re: Exactoscale Driving wheels

Postby Eastern » Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:33 am

Hello Mark,

Attached is a copy that I downloaded in 2010. I have not used the wheels myself.

Kind regards

Roger Barron
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

best33

Postby best33 » Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:28 am

Thank you. That is exactly what I was looking for.

Regards

Mark Humphrys

Will L

Postby Will L » Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:43 am

Mark

Just checking you are aware of my write up on the use of these wheels see here Buck Jumping on Mass - Index. I assume not because the fisrt thing I say is that I have a copy of the instructions.

Winander

Postby Winander » Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:50 am

Richard Hodgson
Organiser Scalefour Virtual Group. Our meeting invitation is here.

Will L

Postby Will L » Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:56 am

Winander wrote:They are already in the wiki https://www.scalefour.org/members/notes/exactoscale

I though they were but I couldn't find them! So I've added a link to the instructions to my write up.

Alan Woodard

Postby Alan Woodard » Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:04 am

Are these wheels ever gonna be reintroduced ?

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:41 pm

Alan Woodard wrote:Are these wheels ever gonna be reintroduced ?

There are certain really useful Exactoscale parts that should be re-introduced.
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Crepello

Postby Crepello » Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:55 pm

Hardwicke wrote:
Alan Woodard wrote:Are these wheels ever gonna be reintroduced ?

There are certain really useful Exactoscale parts that should be re-introduced.

Is anyone at liberty to state what the impediments are to making these available again? And for
that matter, for expanding the range?

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Sat Aug 19, 2023 7:27 am

I think that there are, regrettably, several impediments to the Exactoscale driving wheels being produced again.

1 - They were a relatively complex product and production of all the various parts may not be easy to do again.
2 - They were P4 only, limiting the sales opportunity. They were consequently expensive.
3 - The range was relatively small, concentrating on LNER types - Andrew Jukes area of interest - IIRC.
4 - They required special tools for assembly, which also would need to be put back into production.
5 - Len Newman was involved in the design/production and since his passing, any further mould dies designswould need to be commissioned elsewhere,
possibly at considerable expense.

I bought the last set(?) of Exactoscale tender/bogie wheels suitable for LNWR from Phil at CL at the 2017 Watford AGM. He told me that Exactoscale had put the price up. Suffice to say that the cost of the three axles set was about £45, which rather made my eyes water. Had I not pre-ordered them, I would have politely declined. Whether the price asked was actually what Exactoscale had set or was sales opportunism I can only guess.

Despite the overall cost of buying/assembling them, they were probably the best P4 wheels ever produced. Whether their further production and additions to the range to increase their demand is possible and viable is the question.

Alan Woodard

Postby Alan Woodard » Sat Aug 19, 2023 7:37 am

I'll get my coat.

Al.

Crepello

Postby Crepello » Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:56 am

Jol Wilkinson wrote:Despite the overall cost of buying/assembling them, they were probably the best P4 wheels ever produced.

Which was the subtext of my enquiry!

Considering the labour and emotional investment in building a locomotive, or even converting a
modern hi-fi RTR model, I find it hard to accept second best when it comes to the wheels.

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Sat Aug 19, 2023 12:34 pm

Buy cheap, buy twice.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Sat Aug 19, 2023 12:56 pm

Sadly, steam loco driving wheels in P4 remain something of an issue in my view. We currently have AGW and Ultrascale, plus a limited selection from what seems to be the remains of the Sharman Wheels range.

Ultrascale are regarded as superior but for many of us that model pre-grouping or locos that lasted into the Big Four, there is little to suit our specific needs. AGW have the benefit of better off the shelf availability and steel tyres but need a bit more care in fitting, as do Sharman wheels.

3D printing doesn't appear to have had much impact yet for wheel centres. Bill Bedford looked at this and I have a set of very nice 7ft diameter driving wheels I tried out for him on a LNWR Renown 4-4-0 (7ft dia.). They also featured a self quartering wheel/axle arrangement. Regrettably Bill didn't continue with this.

The return of Exactoscale driving wheels would be great, but would really need to be expanded into a greater range to be of benefit to the majority on loco kit builders.

Return to “Product Information”