Missenden Autumn Weekend

For new product announcements, recommendations, reviews and sourcing. Must be relevant to society members.
David B

Missenden Autumn Weekend

Postby David B » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:44 pm

Booking is open and places going fast for the Autumn Weekend - 30th September to 2nd October - at Missenden Abbey. We are already half full with 35 of the 70 places available booked. Cost: £325 residential, £205 non-residential. Residential is full board - 2 night's accommodation with breakfast, 2 dinners, 2 lunches, teas, coffees, cakes and biscuits, non-residential is the same less the bed and breakfast.

Following a major change in the administration, with Buckinghamshire County Council withdrawing from residential adult education, we (the Railway Modellers Courses) now deal with the Abbey's owner, Buckinghamshire New University (BNU). Negotiations with BNU have gone well and the courses are secure for the foreseeable future.

What changes will there be? On one hand, very little as the courses will run as they have done for more than 30 years, being practical and hands-on with some of the best tutors in the hobby where you can learn new skills, improve existing ones, receive help from experts or just come along and spend time modelling. You provide the kits and tools, we provide the expertise.

The major change is in paying - the cost remains the same. You now book a place and pay through the Missenden Modellers' website. You can pay on-line by Paypal or card or, if you prefer, by bank transfer or cheque. Details are given in the booking process.

What is on offer?

Electronics and Control Systems with Mike Bolton
Electronics for the Bewildered with Howard Watkins
Signalling – below the baseboard with Martin Lloyd
Wiring Made Simple with Ian Morton
Towards Automation- working with JMRI Panel Pro with Pete Brownlow Only one place remains but if there is sufficient demand, this could change so do let us know.
4mm (and smaller) Locomotive Kit construction with Tony Gee
7mm (and larger) Modelling with Kevin Wilson
Baseboards, Scenery, Buildings and Dioramas with Barry Norman
Weathering and Airbrushing with Tim Shackleton

Details and booking for the Spring Modelling Weekend - 3rd to 5th March 2017 - will be available later in the year.

If you have any questions, please contact me either by PM or through the Missenden Railway Modellers' website, the website having more details about Missenden Abbey and the courses.

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Re: Missenden Autumn Weekend

Postby Paul Willis » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:48 am

Thanks David.

The new system for booking works well, and I've recently had my conformation of booking come back to me.

Whilst I'd like to learn something new and I'm very tempted by the electronics courses, I suspect that I'll be back building 4mm locomotives again :-)

Either way, I think that the course is down to the last few spaces so anyone else thinking of coming along and enjoying a full weekend dedicated to modelling had better act quickly.

Cheers
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

David B

Postby David B » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:22 am

There are plenty of places available at the Autumn Weekend, but bedroom space in the Abbey is now in short supply.

The situation is this:

- The maximum we can take is 70 modellers, which we achieved last March

- 48 people have booked so far for the Autumn Weekend and there are still some 10 weeks before we meet

- there are just 2 bedrooms still available at the Abbey

- once those bedrooms have gone, people can still register as non-resident but will need to sort their own bed and breakfast accommodation.

- I have a list of B&B places which will be available on the Missenden Modellers' website or directly from me.

steamraiser

Postby steamraiser » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:13 pm

Any idea when your next CAD course will be offered?

Gordon A

David B

Postby David B » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:40 pm

steamraiser wrote:Any idea when your next CAD course will be offered?

Gordon A

March 3rd to 5th 2017, Gordon. Booking will open later, probably in September.

steamraiser

Postby steamraiser » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:42 pm

David B wrote:
steamraiser wrote:Any idea when your next CAD course will be offered?

Gordon A

March 3rd to 5th 2017, Gordon. Booking will open later, probably in September.

Thanks David for the information
is their any backgrounf info on what the course covers?

Gordon A

David B

Postby David B » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:35 pm

steamraiser wrote: . . . is their any background info on what the course covers?

There is a page on the Missenden Modellers' website but if you want to know more, drop Alan Buttler (who tutors the course) an email through the Modelu website or speak with him at Railwells and/or Scaleforum.

steamraiser

Postby steamraiser » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:52 pm

Thanks David I will have a chat with Alan.

Gordon A

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:57 pm

Back home after a fantastic Autumn Weekend in the company of some excellent modellers, and all-round great friends...

If you ever want to be inspired by Missenden to up the quality of your modelling, just say the three words "Weathered American Boxcars". Anyone who was there will know exactly what I mean ;-)

And I'll be doing a little more on this later this evening. The first thing I did after unpacking my stuff was to find a loco brake standard as although it's hard to believe, the box containing them was not one of the ones I brought to the Abbey!

IMG_2698.JPG

Cheers!
Flymo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
www.5522models.co.uk

Carlos

Postby Carlos » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:56 pm

Hi Paul,

It's your E22? (You even copied the perspective http://www.gersociety.org.uk/images/sto ... 05_291.jpg) Good to see you are working on it.

We enjoyed a lot Scaleforum, Jaime was glad to talk to you and show you his trains :P . I needed one full week to physically recover from that busy day!

Regards,
Carlos

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:10 am

Carlos wrote:Hi Paul,

It's your E22? (You even copied the perspective http://www.gersociety.org.uk/images/sto ... 05_291.jpg) Good to see you are working on it.

We enjoyed a lot Scaleforum, Jaime was glad to talk to you and show you his trains :P . I needed one full week to physically recover from that busy day!

Regards,
Carlos

Hi Carlos,

Yes, it is my E22 :-)

And thank you so much for the prototype background notes which you prepared on the class. Over the weekend they were very useful in guiding me on the details of the locomotive. I'm still not brave enough to run my Buckjumper as a 2-4-0 chassis, although in all other details I'm following the pictures and notes you set out. There is more on Missenden on my Another Round thread this morning, and I'll be carrying on describing the work being done on the E22 over the next couple of days.

It was great to talk to you and the boys at Scaleforum. They are both so much fun, and showed a real interest in the models. I particularly enjoyed all of the chat with Jaime about the couplings used on my trains and his trains! You've got a couple of fine kids there, and I'm looking forward to meeting them again in future...

Cheers
Paul
www.5522models.co.uk

Return to “Product Information”