tufnol

For new product announcements, recommendations, reviews and sourcing. Must be relevant to society members.
philpill

tufnol

Postby philpill » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:18 am

did i read someway in forum that machine sawing or drilling tofnol gave off toxic fumes or are my little grey cells deceiving me

Guy Rixon

Re: tufnol

Postby Guy Rixon » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:35 am

If "tufnol" refers to cotton-reinforced phenolic resin (rather than the other resin products made by Tufnol Composites Ltd.) then I think it's pretty safe. Their safety-data sheet http://tufnol.com/downloads/SDS01.pdf says that it's not officially hazardous, but the dust from machining is an irritant. And if you did managed to set it alight the fumes would be irritant too. Although if your tufnol gets up to ignition temperature you've probably got worse problems than it fuming a bit; it's very heat-proof. :-/

If you had the glass-reinforced kind of phenolic resin, then I expect that the machining dust would be a bit nastier.

philpill

Postby philpill » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:02 pm

thanks Guy will try it on my proxxon bench saw to get frame spaces phil

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:20 am

Guy Rixon wrote:but the dust from machining is an irritant.

And given that, the sensible thing would be to use a dust mask to FFP2 standard. Such things are available in DIY shops and the grade of mask should be marked on the packet.

Terry Bendall
Last edited by John McAleely on Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: correctly attribute quote

philpill

Postby philpill » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:45 am

thanks has anybody used tufnol for frame spacers if so how are the frames attached ? glue or screw

Return to “Product Information”