Puffers - Perseverance/Westward Kits & Components

For new product announcements, recommendations, reviews and sourcing. Must be relevant to society members.
RedDragon

Puffers - Perseverance/Westward Kits & Components

Postby RedDragon » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:02 am

For info.

It's good to see Chris Parrish seems to be back promoting his Perseverance/Wewstward products, his latest advert is in the back of the Feb. BRM. www.perseverancekits.co.uk

Just hope he re-introduces the GCR/LNER G3 0.4.4 tank loco that appeared under the Persevance Kits brand for what seemd like a very short time.

A useful range of etchings and castings.

Horsetan

Re: Puffers - Perseverance/Westward Kits & Components

Postby Horsetan » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:30 pm

Comet (owned by Wizard now) chassis have superseded a great many of the Perseverance designs. And there are more developed alternatives available from High Level, David Geen (for Malcolm Mitchell), Dave Bradwell, etc.

The Westward detail castings range remains useful, though.
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Albert Hall

Postby Albert Hall » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:47 pm

Having spotted Chris' advert, I downloaded all the gen from his website, inwardly digested then decided to order a chassis for one of my Bulleid Pacifics and tender. Chris confirmed by e-mail that all the bits I needed were available and was good enough to point out that I had listed everything I need apart from a set of gears, so they were added to the order. Payment was by cheque as Chris does not offer a credit card facility. Not such a bad thing as I know it's paid for up front and I won't get a shock in a few weeks time when the bill comes in.

Delivery via Royal Mail took just over a week and everything came in a well wrapped basic but sturdy box. All the individual etches, castings, motor, gears etc. are securely packed and labelled and there is a comprehensive set of written and illustrated instructions. Presentation is a bit dated but then I am a firm believer in the old adage 'if it ain't broke, don't mend it'.

The Alan Gibson wheels are on hand and I'm just waiting for my Avonside chassis kit to arrive from Eileen's. Just need to clear a space in the workshop now!

Incidentally, while sorting through my not inconsiderable pile of bits and bobs I came across a virgin Perseverance chassis kit for a pannier tank which I probably acquired over a decade ago shortly after Iain Rice wrote an article on upgrading the Mainline/Replica model in MRJ's no. 61/62 (1993). Maybe that should be the first one to tackle!

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:56 pm

Yes, I think the Bulleid Pacific chassis is one of those that wasn't properly developed by Rod Neep when he designed it back in the late 1980s. Good luck with the slidebars and crosshead assemblies in particular, as well as the trailing truck.

Been there, done that, and wish I hadn't.

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:25 pm

A pretty good account of building this chassis was in Tim Shackleton's book on plastic bodied locos. As Ivan has pointed out, there were issues with the slidebars, I think the length of them. I also felt that Tim had assembled the frames with full width spacers, whereas the Bulleid Pacifics had the hornguides on the outside of the frames (or maybe on the centre line, I can never remember), but whatever it was, the frames are narrower than usual and the wheels have a bit of a gap behind them.

Once Hornby produced such a splendid running unrebuilt pacific, any thoughts I had of building such a chassis went out of the window. I did build a Crownline version once, which had its own problems, but turned out right in the end and looked the part, even if it was about 4mm short. No, that bit wasn't wasn't my fault...

Philip
Last edited by Philip Hall on Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:04 pm

They were on the centreline, Phillip. Same as the later Standard Pacifics and 9F. Width between frames came out as 3'2 or 3'3, I think.

The Comet Light Pacific chassis is probably a better bet these days.

Albert Hall

Postby Albert Hall » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:24 am

As I have 4 Spamcans to convert, I have an idea to do at least one with the Perseverance chassis, one with the Comet chassis and one retaining the Hornby chassis for comparison purposes. I'm not sure if the Comet one was ever upgraded to the latest standard before Geoff Brewin's sad departure. The fourth would possibly be retained to see if anything comes from the lobbying of Ultrascale to produce a conversion pack.

I see that Tim Shackleton's book doesn't appear to be available new and second hand copies are relatively expensive. Is there sufficient content to help with this project to make it worthwhile investing in a copy

I have all the wheels on hand including 3 sets acquired about 10 years ago from the time when Alan Gibson was still running the show. From comments I have read in other threads on here, is it likely I could have problems with slippage on their axles? I understand that the more recent ones produced by Colin Seymour have had better reviews.

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:24 am

One sixth of Tim Shackleton's book deals with the building of a Bulleid Pacific and, although his chassis incorporated Dyna Drive, there is much of use in there. It's also a very good read.

In all the years I have been using Alan Gibson driving wheels I have had very few Instances where slippage of wheels on axles has been a problem, only usually when wheels have been off the axles too many times (presumably) during construction. I say presumably because these have been repairs to something I didn't build and I try very hard only to assemble once. Gibson wheels are a bendy sort of plastic, a bit like Sharmans of old, and provided they're left alone, seem to sort of shrink down on the axle. So I wouldn't worry on that score. I do always check for concentricity, though, and whilst things are usually OK, sometimes I have had to take off the tyres and skim the centres in the lathe (I turn it by hand), gluing them back on with epoxy.

Nor would I be unduly concerned about the slight discrepancy in the crank throw, unless you really want to get into the business of plugging and re-drilling. For me, it's not easy to see. I cannot see Ultrascale coming up with such a wheel in the foreseeable future.

Philip
Last edited by Philip Hall on Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:55 am

The Comet frames are still the original design in brass, not nickel-silver.

If the Perseverance chassis is the one dating from 1988 - and something tells me it is - then it will be the one that gives you the most grief. I discovered this for myself way back in, er, 1988.....
Last edited by Horsetan on Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Albert Hall

Postby Albert Hall » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:31 pm

Thank you for your advice and experience gents. I think I will obtain a copy of the book. It's one of only a few in the Wild Swan modelling series which I don't have in my collection. I do have a GW Models wheel quartering jig which I presume is a useful tool for assembling AG wheelsets. I'm starting to think it's about time I took my socks off and put my toes in the water!

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:20 pm

The GW jig is fine for AG wheels, just make sure the crankpin is truly vertical in the wheel. if it isn't, I just bend it so it is. Not perhaps the finest of engineering principles, but it works for me...

Philip

Albert Hall

Postby Albert Hall » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:03 pm

Philip Hall wrote: As Ivan has pointed out, there were issues with the slidebars, I think the length of them.

Having picked up on this thread Chris Parrish kindly e-mailed me today to advise that the slide bars I have been supplied with are to an upgraded length. I did purchase a pre-owned copy of Tim's book from Martin Bott booksellers. I paid a little over the odds for one described as in 'very good condition' but actually it looked as if it had never been opened. :thumb

Return to “Product Information”