Oversize Hornblock Bearings

For new product announcements, recommendations, reviews and sourcing. Must be relevant to society members.
High Level Kits

Oversize Hornblock Bearings

Postby High Level Kits » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:25 am

We've discovered an error among a batch of 1/8in hornblocks bearings, sold either separately, or in our chassis kits. This will only effect 1/8in Bore, Standard and SpaceSaver hornblocks, purchased from us between February and July of this year (2014).

The problem concerns the bore of the brass bearing, which is oversize. To determine if you have bearings from this rouge batch, use a round needle file to remove the parting-off burr from the end of the bore, then try the bearing on an axle.

Our bearings are intentionally manufactured to be a tight fit, which allows for variations in axle size. A correct-size bearing will require light reaming to achieve a good fit, or it may slide onto the axle, but with no perceivable play or slop.

If the bearings feel slack, contact us for replacements.

Up to now, only one person has got back to us about this but we're not happy about these faulty bearings being out there. Hornblocks need to be spot on or the error has to be taken up by, or is passed on to, other components, so we're keen to sort this. The faulty bearings have been withdrawn from stock. If you think you may have oversize bearings, please return them, and we will send new ones at our expense.

Apologies to all the customers who've bought these bearings, but we'll do all we can to rectify the problem.
bearings@highlevelkits.co.uk
TEL 0191 3882112

High Level Kits

Re: Oversize Hornblock Bearings

Postby High Level Kits » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:16 am

A few people have now contacted me about this, but far less than expected, considering the number sold over the period above - perhaps I'll see a few more at the shows this autumn.

If customers do want to exchange, they’ll be taken on trust and so there’s no need to send the old ones back to me as this would cost them a large stamp; just give me a ring...

Return to “Product Information”