Ultrascale brass wheels and split axles

For new product announcements, recommendations, reviews and sourcing. Must be relevant to society members.
Craig Warton

Ultrascale brass wheels and split axles

Postby Craig Warton » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:01 pm

Ultrascale have a posting on their website about trials they are carrying out on cast brass wheel sets and split axles. The sample shown is a Duchess wheel set mounted on a 3 part split axle.

I sent off an email to them yesterday asking for a bit of information and was rather suprised to find I was the first to enquire.

They are investigating all options up to completed wheel sets but also as a set of components to finish off.

Obviously, the range would comprise of existing wheels for their range and is dependant on interest being shown as well as technical maters.

in the meantime, if anyone is interested in (what would be) very high quality split axle compatible loco wheels send them an email.

Regards,

Craig W

David Knight

Re: Ultrascale brass wheels and split axles

Postby David Knight » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:12 pm

Would those be brass tyres as well as centres? Brass is not my favourite material for wheel treads.

Cheers,

David

Craig Warton

Postby Craig Warton » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:34 pm

David,

Would be nickel silver tyres as per usual ultrascale spec. A finished wheel would be supplied assembled with a brass centre and nickle silver tyre with a split axle.

regards,

Craig

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:47 pm

The one on the website has a steel tyre which would be even better, offering as "finish yourself" would be replicating the AG version although probably different wheels.
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

John Fitton

Postby John Fitton » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:55 am

The wheels look absolutely beautiful. Cast brass spokes with steel rims, and hollowed axles for the Duchess. Suspect the Hornby chassis would not be a good starting point for a conversion: maybe Tim V can point to a tutorial on split frames!!

John

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:25 pm

Indeed, check my workbench thread :!:
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Return to “Product Information”