Ultrascale P4, EM & OO wheelsets for the Hornby WC Pacific

For new product announcements, recommendations, reviews and sourcing. Must be relevant to society members.
Tor Giffard

Ultrascale P4, EM & OO wheelsets for the Hornby WC Pacific

Postby Tor Giffard » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:33 pm

Evenin' all,

I have 4 Hornby WC Pacifics to convert to P4 for TG....I like the sound of the Brassmasters Easichas route for RTR conversion but don't know of a similar option for these locos at the moment. Which route would you all recommend just now?

Dave
Last edited by Tor Giffard on Fri May 23, 2014 9:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Russ Elliott

Re: Hornby WC Pacific P4 conversion

Postby Russ Elliott » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:30 pm

In the absence of a bespoke new chassis, I think the only current option is the Alan Gibson conversion set on the rigid Hornby chassis.

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:39 pm

Russ,

Not all the WC Pacifics have rigid chassis, at least mine don't. The earlier unrebuilt models have a sprung rear axle in an offset carrier set to give the WC spacing one way around and the MN the other. The rebuilt versions have all axles rigid and flangeless wheels on the rear truck. These models were purchased some time ago (and still in their boxes!) so it's possible Hornby may have changed things recently.

Philip

Russ Elliott

Postby Russ Elliott » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:28 pm

Thanks for that clarification, Philip. I'm not that familiar with the vagaries of the Hornby design, except to say that the flangeless pony truck idea is now generally regarded as being very silly, even for OO, and putting a (weak) single spring on the rear driver is probably the worst axle to put a weak spring on. I mentioned the 'rigidity' of the Hornby chassis only because I guess TG will want to haul some good length trains, and a badly suspended pacific, or a 4-4-2-2 in this case, is unlikely to do him any favours in respect of decent traction. Possibly the spring could be made stronger though.

ISTR Bill B was toying with the idea of a better WC chassis at one stage. It's probably a good candidate for a Brassmasters easichas, but I don't think they do 'zuthern'.

Rod Cameron

Postby Rod Cameron » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:34 pm

Russ Elliott wrote:It's probably a good candidate for a Brassmasters easichas, but I don't think they do 'zuthern'.

They did the C class, so there's always hope ... :)
Rod

Andrew Ullyott

Postby Andrew Ullyott » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:59 am

I gave up trying to do a straight wheel swap conversion so bought a Comet chassis at S4N last year. Gibson wheels have a slightly bigger crank throw than the Hornby model which caused the cross head to catch the cylinders.

Tor Giffard

Ultrascale P4, EM & OO wheelsets for the Hornby WC pacific

Postby Tor Giffard » Fri May 23, 2014 9:09 am

Mornin' all,

Following on from a conversation with David Rodgers at Ultrascale this morning he has agreed to reinstate these products onto the Ultrascale website so that statements of interest in them can be made. Prices should be in line with other comparable Ultrascale wheelsets.

There is however no current timescale due to David's continuing workload.

Please register your interest on the Ultrascale website via the link below.

http://www.ultrascale.com/node/37

Regards

Dave

Return to “Product Information”