Etched rivet detail

For new product announcements, recommendations, reviews and sourcing. Must be relevant to society members.
Tor Giffard

Etched rivet detail

Postby Tor Giffard » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:47 pm

Evenin' all,

I'm comparing options for decorative rivet detail on the girder bridges for Tor Giffard and already have the Slaters Plasticard representation.

Is anyone aware of etched rivet detail suitable for slicing into strips?

Cheers

Dave

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Re: Etched rivet detail

Postby Paul Willis » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:06 pm

Tor Giffard wrote:Evenin' all,

I'm comparing options for decorative rivet detail on the girder bridges for Tor Giffard and already have the Slaters Plasticard representation.

Is anyone aware of etched rivet detail suitable for slicing into strips?

Shoot me down for a daft idea, but given the size of your bridge project (which is most impressive) have you thought of designing your own strips of rivets and having them etched?

An A4 (roughly) size test piece in 12 thou brass cost me about £52, which sounds a lot as a sum, but if you think how many strips of rivets that would produce, and the equivalent cost of many individual packs of (say) Archers rivet decals, it actually may make a lot of sense.

Using a CAD package means that you can do a lot of copy/paste that would greatly speed up the design element of it, and the turnaround time for me was only about two weeks.

Something to think on...
Cheers
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:06 pm

Mainly trains do strips of etched rivets.

Hth

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:10 am

Why not use Archers decals?

http://www.archertransfers.com/

They are available from UK suppliers but I can't remember which ones at the moment.

Mike

Tor Giffard

Postby Tor Giffard » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:06 am

...thanks guys...an etch of pure rivet detail is the most likely one for me to commission but I didn't want to go to the trouble and then find that they were already available.

I do have the Archer range and Slaters Plasticard variants already...I'm simply comparing the appearance and ease/speed of application first.

Cheers

Dave

HowardGWR

Postby HowardGWR » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:02 am

How do people get around the 'strips of rivets' problem? I mean, if the prototype does not have a washer plate, they are useless aren't they? I thought that is why the Archer approach is the only way (apart from punching from behind) for simulating rivets without washer plates?

Tor Giffard

Postby Tor Giffard » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:33 pm

Hi Howard,

....one test that I'm trying on the potential Slaters Plasticard 'strips of rivets' route is applying a spot of super glue to each 'washer plate' with a pin (to form the rounded top)...this is still a fairly quick route because there is no need to think about spacing...just keep dipping and spotting. I'm trialling different viscosities of glue...the more viscous the better at the moment.

I like the result with the Archers route but it isn't good for sanity with this number of rivets, as each would have to be spaced correctly as well as applied.

The rivets on the prototype LSWR bridges were pronounced...therefore the riveting is more important than it might have been.

Also, the .25mm nickel-silver sheet from which the bowstring sections will be made still looks fine with its thin Plasticard cladding, which is another consideration.

Dave

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:20 pm

I would second Mike Garwood's suggestion - Archer decals.

For a good practical example, see the item posted in the 'Farthing Layouts' blog on RM Web (or onthe 'Farthing Layouts' website).

I have recently been building a large rectangular GWR water tank, which is absolutely covered in rivets. I could not have faced building this model if I had been forced to punch all those rivets out in sheet brass or nckel silver or any of the other suggested methods. The rivet decals were a doddle to apply, although I shall have to be careful not to smother them with paint. I shall probably spray paint the model.

Tor Giffard

Postby Tor Giffard » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:12 pm

Martin,

...the etched rivet strip route would easily be the least time-consuming/demanding approach because the etching process would leave the 'rivet heads' in the correct places on the strip to a highly uniform and accurate degree.

Neither I nor any of the other posters on this thread have suggested the 'punch' route.

Dave

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:30 pm

Using the Archer resin decals is bound to be quicker than having to mess about cutting out strips of etched material. For the job I was doing (a standard GWR 12,500 gallon water tank) etched strips would have been no good, as the rivets are on the sheet material itself; there are no raised ribs or strips to which the rivets are attached. As well as being rivetted at 1.5-inch intervals all along each edge of the sheet, these sheets also have other rivets (at different spacing) down the middle of the sheet. The model is built from styrene sheet, painted gloss white to ensure adhesion of the rivet decals. (Final painting will be in matt Dark Stone and Light Stoe colours.)

I was able to use strips of rivets of the correct size and interval spacing, rather than appying rivets individually. (The latter would certainly be a somewhat tedious process.) Where laying a strip of rivets from the decal sheet, it is an easy matter to slide them off the end of a length of backing sheet that has been cut out and soaked in warm water, then apply Solvaset (or similar) to ensure that they are firmly fixed down with no visible carrying film.

Joe Newman

Postby Joe Newman » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:36 pm

I am unsure about what size of 'rivets' to use on wagons. The Historex list quotes three size of Archer rivets - 0.2 mm, 0.28 mm and 0.36 mm.

What would colleagues recommend for use on a GWR bogie iron mink? Or indeed on wagons generally.

Any advice will be gratefully received.

Joe Newman

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:14 pm

Joe

There is a 'beginners' kit (AR88001 or SD99001) that has a variety of size and spacing of rivets. That's the one I ordered. You then have a choice.

Mike

Joe Newman

Postby Joe Newman » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:03 pm

That's very helpful Mike. I have not spotted the beginner's kit you mention.

Many thanks.

Joe

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:57 am

Mike Garwood wrote:Why not use Archers decals?

http://www.archertransfers.com/

They are available from UK suppliers but I can't remember which ones at the moment.

Mike

DCC Supplies is one in UK.
They stock the beginners kit AR88001 but not SD99001

Archers website shows dealers all over the world.

DaveHarris

Postby DaveHarris » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:07 pm

As I was also one looking for some kind of rivet display system on a model this thread is of interest to me. I have e mailed the company who can either send one a pdf copy of thier catalogue or are prepared to post one to an enquirier almost by return! Their charges for postage are very resonable. They admit that not all of their distributors will keep all of their sheets and are quite happy to mail direct from the US. Their 'how to' videos seem to answer most questions and any further queries can be easily dealt with by an email enquiry and produce a quick and helpful response.This seems to be a very helpful company.

Dave Harris

David B

Postby David B » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:45 pm

Paul Townsend wrote:DCC Supplies is one in UK.

I think it cheaper to buy from Archers. DCC are £14.50 + P&P (added when you check out). Archers $17.95 (£10.73) + $6.50 (£3.88) P&P to the UK= £14.61. That's for one sheet!

HowardGWR

Postby HowardGWR » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:38 pm

As a guide, when you go the page for AR88001 on the Archer site, you need to reduce it by one third to get the actual size of what you receive. It's a dear do, but perhaps use to correct sundry mistakes when rivets are filed off, or other types of gaps caused by inaccurate kits,it's a good method IMO. A scratch builder would spend a fortune though.

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:39 pm

I think I got mine from Historex Agents, but they were not cheap.

There's an alternative product also made in the USA, but I have not seen it. Some say it's better than the Archer product. (Sorry I can't remember the name, but it was mentioned on RM Web when this topic was under discussion there.)

Natalie Graham

Postby Natalie Graham » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:31 pm

martin goodall wrote:There's an alternative product also made in the USA, but I have not seen it.

There's a few I think. Micromark and Mike Grant are a couple of sources.

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:05 am

davidb wrote:
Paul Townsend wrote:DCC Supplies is one in UK.

I think it cheaper to buy from Archers. DCC are £14.50 + P&P (added when you check out). Archers $17.95 (£10.73) + $6.50 (£3.88) P&P to the UK= £14.61. That's for one sheet!

But if ordered from DCC Supplies at same time as decoders etc, postage is shared. Also no risk of customs adding VAT /Duty and Royal Mail surcharging a collection fee.

Last package I ordered from USA was clobbered.....goods value c $20 cost me over £40 in all. :(

David B

Postby David B » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:18 am

Good point, Paul.

A friend orders some smaller items a couple of times a year from the States. She has an arrangement with the seller that the items are always valued at less than $15 and labelled as Gifts. So far, there have been no added costs.

MarkS

Postby MarkS » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:35 pm

All this talk of rivets and ordering same from the USA, made me think of this - from the April (1st) issue of Model Railroader...

http://mrr.trains.com/news-reviews/staf ... nting-tool
Cheers,

Mark.
"In the end, when all is said and done, more will have been said than done..."

Return to “Product Information”