metal strip

For new product announcements, recommendations, reviews and sourcing. Must be relevant to society members.
jasp

metal strip

Postby jasp » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:48 am

I am looking for either brass or nickel silver strip, 0.75mm and 0.5mm wide around .007 - .010 thick for lamp irons etc.
I am aware that brass wire can be flattened but would prefer ready made.
Can anyone help with a source?
Thanks
Jim P

Tor Giffard

Re: metal strip

Postby Tor Giffard » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:51 am

Mornin' Jasp,

Are your thickness measurements also in mm?

Eileens for nickel silver or brass strip down to minimum dimensions.

Dave

John Bateson

Postby John Bateson » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:58 am

Alan Gibson used to recommend staples for the lamp irons since they don't bend.
They do however, tear your skin in a careless moment.
John
Slaving away still on GCR stuff ...

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:51 am

Our stores, both public and members only, carry a an etch from palatine models 'STRIP', which is etched to various widths.

The stores entry doesn't note if this is brass or nickel silver. There's a picture in the eshop.

Edit: added later - it appears it doesn't include the widths you need.
Last edited by John McAleely on Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Add more info about STRIP

David B

Postby David B » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:19 pm

Masokits do an etched fret of lamp irons. I use them and although fiddly are not impossible and turn out very well indeed. The quote is from his list:

Part 12.07 These are etched in 0.005" brass which I know sounds too thin but because they fold up to form a double thickness laminate they are a lot stronger than a single thickness of brass when soldered up. They are as near-to-scale lamp irons as is possible and a hole is provided in each type for a pin to provide secure fixing to plastic bodies. A wide variety of types included on the fret and they are exasperatingly fiddly. In the last list I have they were £4 / fret.

See his Terms of Trading on this page for address and p&p - http://traders.scalefour.org/masokits/ Be patient as he does take time to deliver.

essdee

Postby essdee » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:23 pm

Hi Jim,

I have been using Gibson etched boiler band strip for a while now, folded over to shape, soldered, then filed down to desired width. The strip is 4thou, so becomes 8thou+ when folded over and soldered. A bit fiddly, but you can get the particular shape you want.

BW

Steve

Eastern

Postby Eastern » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:45 pm

I just cut a narrow strip from 5 thou brass sheet using a knife blade and then fold it up to shape using double thickness throughout. Once shaped, put flux on it and solder the resulting lamp iron into a single piece. This makes it much stronger than any etch ones I have used.

This idea came from an article in MRJ quite a while back, but I haven't found it in my pile of magazines.

jasp

Postby jasp » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:46 pm

Thanks guys for your advice
Much food for thought

Jim P

Will L

Postby Will L » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:45 pm

I can usually find I can find all the strip I need for this sort of thing in my box full of etched fret scrap.

Will

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:10 am

Will L wrote:I can usually find I can find all the strip I need for this sort of thing in my box full of etched fret scrap.

So do I along with lots of other bits that can be used for similar small jobs, and sometimes larger ones. I now either need a larger box or I need to sort the collection either by size or thickness. :)

Terry Bendall

Return to “Product Information”