Highland Railway Carriages & Wagons

For new product announcements, recommendations, reviews and sourcing. Must be relevant to society members.
Mark Tatlow

Highland Railway Carriages & Wagons

Postby Mark Tatlow » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:56 pm

I saw an advanced copy of this one yesterday:

Carriages and Wagons.jpg

It has been printed and is now a the binders so it should be available for release at the Glasgow show.

Many of you will be familiar with the nature of my fathers books and this is just as good as the previous. There are lots of good quality pictures (including some great overall views of trains that I have not previously been aware of) printed to a high standard on good quality paper. This is accompanied by top quality drawings of the vast majority of the vehicles.

It covers all of the rolling stock of the company; passenger, goods, non-passenger and engineer's stock.

Published by Noodle Books and available from both them and the main booksellers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark Tatlow

Andy W

Re: Highland Railway Carriages & Wagons

Postby Andy W » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:27 pm

Nice!
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:13 am

And just in case anyone though that Mark might be a little biased, I also saw a copy at the Southampton show at the weekend. I know nothing about the Highland, and am most unlikely to model anything that ran on it, but the book is very good indeed with some very helpful drawings, the majority of which have been drawn by the author (by hand, no CAD) for the book over many years. A real delight and in the same mode as the author's Brakedown Crane books. I would have through that it would be essential to anyone modelling the railways of Scotland. I gather that it is hoped to have it ready for Model Rail Scotland on February 21st - 23rd. The Society stand will also be at the show.

Terry Bendall

Natalie Graham

Postby Natalie Graham » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:18 pm

My copy arrived yesterday and having had the chance to look through it is seems an excellent publication. There are a few things I would have liked to see, one is that each type of vehicle has a table showing information such as HR and LMS diagram numbers, date of building, builder, dimensions, even the cost, but not the number of vehicles built. Some constructional details would have been a welcome addition too, as included by Keith Fenwick in his volume on the carriages of the neighbouring GNoSR. I haven't found any glaring errors, such as the drawing of a GNoSR "9-spoke" wagon wheel in the same author's volume on LNER wagons, (it has only eight spokes). All in all though a really good book and a very welcome source of information on a subject which has only had Mr Hunter's rather dated (and scarce) volume to refer to. I can see many hours enjoyment to be derived from building models from the information contained.

Mark Tatlow

Postby Mark Tatlow » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:14 pm

Members of the Highland Railway Society can get a sizeable discount on the purchase price of this book - as the society have underwritten a good chunk of the publication cost.

So if anybody was thinking of purchasing this book and they are not members of the HR Soc you really ought to look at taking out a membership. You will save the bulk of the first year's membership in the discount you can get on this book alone! And then there are all the other benefits............

I did not see it available at the booksellers over the weekend but I know that the Society have received their batch so I would imagine it will be available from them by know and definitely at the Glasgow show.

The Highland Railway Society can be found here http://www.hrsoc.org.uk/Society.html
Mark Tatlow

Return to “Product Information”