Aldi Specials - Diamond Faced Needle Files

For new product announcements, recommendations, reviews and sourcing. Must be relevant to society members.
Will L

Aldi Specials - Diamond Faced Needle Files

Postby Will L » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:04 pm

While visiting Aldi today to rectify a chez Will cheese biscuit shortage, I made a quick pass down the Aldi special purchase isle as you do.

And what did I come across. Well to start with it was the 3.5 K sledge hammer and matching axe, but on mature reflection I wasn't sure I had a model rail application which was calling out for such things, though people having intractable layout issues might be tempted...

However right next door was a set of 10 diamond faced needle file in all the usual shapes for a bit less than a fiver. While these are never going to be an adequate replacement for the Vallorbe 4 cut files I keep for those very special filing moments. For more general/rough work these look just the job, and not being made out of hardened steel the points wont be so inclined to snap off the either.
files.jpg

A quick trial on a bit of spare brass does suggest they are going to be better at bulk removal of metal than delivering a nice smooth finish, mostly because the diamond coating isn't as smooth as it might be. That diamond coating is quite thick too, so some of the the sharp edges aren't very, and it does seem a pity they didn't dip them a bit deeper in their diamond dust glue mix.

For Comparison purposes £12 will buy you a single, hopefully good quality diamond coated needle file from Eileen's.

As always with Aldi special buys, when they're gone....

Will
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jayell

Re: Aldi Specials - Diamond Faced Needle Files

Postby jayell » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:14 pm

Will L wrote:As always with Aldi special buys, when they're gone....

Not worth making the 66 mile round trip trip to our nearest Aldi, which is in Weymouth, then.

John

Lindsay G

Postby Lindsay G » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:17 pm

I missed that one - thanks Will - must pay a visit.

Offers at Aldi are well worth keeping an eye on. Their website lets you know what offers will be on or have just been on, which saves speculative visits. One purchase that's still going strong more than a year after purchase is a 56 piece craft knife set - about 5 handles and more or less the rest blades, chisels, and such - it cost absolute buttons. Not perhaps Swann & Morton standards but a steal at the price.

But it shouldn't be assumed that everything from Aldi is of inferior quality. Their foof products and wines and champagnes regularly beat far pricier products from elsewhere in consumer comparison articles. I picked up a couple of quick release clamps a few months ago that are just as good as, and indeed better than some, branded items bought from the likes of B&Q, Bell Donaldson Steele, etc..

Well worth keeping an eye on.

Lindsay

jayell

Postby jayell » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:41 am

Lindsay G wrote:I missed that one - thanks Will - must pay a visit.

Offers at Aldi are well worth keeping an eye on.

I fully agree, we miss having Aldi 150 yards walk away. For some reason Aldi closed their store here in Yeovil a few years ago just after we'd bought a flat screen TV to replace our dying CRT box from them at 2/3rds the price of similar stuff in the likes of Comet. My wife would pick up their offers leaflets each week and often the hardware stuff was interesting, but you do need to be quick off the mark for the good stuff 'cos it doesn't stay long in the bins.

Aldi are supposed to be building a new store here but the building plot with a sign saying 'new superstore coming here' hasn't seen any development since the sign went up. The other similar store isn't IMHO anywhere near as good and the FarmFoods shop plus Majestic Wines which took over the old Aldi premises are fine for what they do but they don't sell tools and stuff.

John

DougN

Postby DougN » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:27 am

John I think we have the store over here in Melbourne. Aldi are installing themselves all around Blackburn.... We have 2 with in 2kms of the house.... I have only been in 1 once but did build a new building for e Aldi in dandenong that was 6 years ago so it must be due for a refurbishment....

Any how I must go and have a look at some time.
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

jayell

Postby jayell » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:44 am

DougN wrote:John I think we have the store over here in Melbourne.

Hi Doug

A bit further to travel than Weymouth! Though I am sure my wife would like to visit Melbourne as her 2xgt-grandmother was born there and we have a friend living not too far away from there in Sanderston.

John

DougN

Postby DougN » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:36 am

Welli might say that sanderston is a short 800kms from Melbourne (I had to check it out on google earth) being north of Murray bridge in south Australia. Bit of a hike really. Though I did enjoy going to Adelaide a number of years ago! It was 8hrs drive from home in Melbourne.
Doug

billbedford

Postby billbedford » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:04 am

johnlewis wrote:
Will L wrote:As always with Aldi special buys, when they're gone....

Not worth making the 66 mile round trip trip to our nearest Aldi, which is in Weymouth, then.

John

This may be unfortunate for you, but its not very interesting for the rest of us.

Pah only 60 miles -- used to do that for an evening meal.

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:29 am

I bought a pack of these files last time they came round. I have to say I found them very rough and not very effective and I hardly ever use them.

DT

Lindsay G

Postby Lindsay G » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:56 am

Maybe this should be a new thread!

The knife set that I mentioned in my previous post is back this Thursday. £7 is nothing - you really can afford to misuse it at that price, & keep the S&M's for better things. There's also a number of other things of interest to our hobby especially for those wanting to build baseboards or are looking for trestles to support a layout.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/thursday-17th-october/

Lindsay

billbedford

Postby billbedford » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:35 am

Yerbut

The knife sets have plastic inserts to hold the blades. The break fairly quickly, so you will be looking to buy a new set next time they come round in the shops.

Lindsay G

Postby Lindsay G » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:17 pm

Yerbut nothing,

I did say in my initial post "Not perhaps Swann & Morton standards but a steal at the price". Horses for courses, keep the quality tools for the good stuff, use the cheapo stuff when appropriate. No point in being a tool snob.

Having said that, this is the "next time round" - unless of course I missed any intervening "next time round" - and those handles with plastic inserts are still intact. They may yet "break fairly quickly" but since it's already well over a year since purchase it seems £7 well spent - comparable to the cost of 2 pints that are history within an hour.

Lindsay

DougN

Postby DougN » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:59 pm

But Lindsay you only rent the beer for about 2hours so that makes the files even economical :ugeek:
Doug

jasp

Postby jasp » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:11 pm

Must be Edinburgh beer prices @ 2 for £7
JIm P

Return to “Product Information”