High Level kits Update

For new product announcements, recommendations, reviews and sourcing. Must be relevant to society members.
High Level Kits

High Level kits Update

Postby High Level Kits » Wed May 31, 2023 11:54 am

The current economic climate has caused us to review the viability of our range of products. Maintaining the range of kits has proved very difficult in these times where nothing seems to be straightforward any more. We had reluctantly considered either dropping, or at least suspending, production of some, or all, of our boxed items. However, because we take great pride in our products, we’ve decided to try a different approach which we hope will benefit everyone...

Although we still have some original stock, we’re now starting to offer our kits in a slightly different format. As before, we’ll include a full set of etched and cast components, a custom gearbox specifically designed for that model, but so you don't have to pay twice for common parts you may well keep in stock we leave you to provide parts like brass wire and tube, nuts and bolts, and handrail knobs.

Nothing will be any different if you're buying 'consumable' items like gearboxes, hornblocks and suspension items, and we'll still continue to offer a choice of high-quality motors to go with all our products.

We hope this approach will go some way to offsetting the massive rise in the cost of the materials and manufacturing services we pay for, allowing us to keep our own prices as competitive as possible. It might be that this simplification also frees up time for more design work...

Looking forward to seeing as many P4 modellers as possible at Crewe this weekend, where we'll have a mixture of old and new style kits...

Steve Carter

Re: High Level kits Update

Postby Steve Carter » Wed May 31, 2023 12:36 pm

I think this is a very sensible approach Chris. I wish you success.

See you in Crewe :thumb

Steve
Steve Carter

David Knight

Postby David Knight » Wed May 31, 2023 2:01 pm

Makes sense Chris. The vast majority who would buy your kits have some experience under their belts and would have access to the bits you mention. Anything to help keep the design wheels turning! :thumb :thumb

Cheers,

David

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Wed May 31, 2023 4:58 pm

I do get irritated when bits of wire, poor quality screws,some scrappy handrail knobs and nuts are included with kits, so this is only a good thing.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

DaveHarris

Postby DaveHarris » Wed May 31, 2023 8:00 pm

Whilst i can understand the situation Chris finds himself in; I would ask that perhaps a list of suppliers of the items Chris is omitting from his kits be provided with the kits or on his website. With the demise of Elieen's sourcing such items is certainly more difficult. I have just looked through the list of the traders on this website and cannot easily see which ones, if any, can supply some or all of the items Chris will no longer supply. :?:
Last edited by DaveHarris on Sun Jun 18, 2023 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Daddyman

Postby Daddyman » Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:45 am

DaveHarris wrote:Whilst i can understand the situation Cris finds himself in; I would ask that perhaps a list of suppliers of the items Chris is omitting from his kits be provided with the kits or on his website. With the demise of Elieen's sourcing such items is certainly more difficult. I have just looked through the list of the traders on this website and cannot easily see which ones, if any, can supply some or all of the items Chris will no longer supply. :?:

Cambrian Model Rail took all of Eileen's wire, and Nairnshire Modelling Supplies also sell most sizes on ebay.
Handrail knobs can be got from Gibson, Roxey Mouldings or 247 Developments. But most of Chris' kits would probably benefit from 2mm-scale knobs, which can be had from N Brass Locos.
Brass tube from Hobby Holidays.
Guitar wire from Strings Direct.
Brass nuts and steel bolts from ebay.

jsherratt

Postby jsherratt » Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:29 am

I'm all in favour of this, seems like a good plan to me.

Steve Carter

Postby Steve Carter » Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:21 pm

High Level Kits are attending Scalefour Crewe this weekend.
Steve Carter

High Level Kits

Postby High Level Kits » Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:08 am

Customers with Gmail accounts (for emails) who might think we're ignoring their communications:

We are unable to send messages to anyone with a Gmail address, due to Gmail changing security settings at their end. Sending from our business mail doesn't work either but, as a last resort, we may be able to send you a text if we have your mobile number.

This has been going on for a while now but sending via the message facility has always worked fine. Now even this is playing up...

Other news: when time allows, we're ploughing on with the Barclay Chassis. This is proving a difficult job for a variety of reasons and when you get into the dimensions it's apparent why the Hattons' designers made it the way they did. We hope to overcome all the problems and provide a finescale chassis with compensation, for EM and P4. With virtually zero clearance above the wheels, the hornblocks will ride on stops with spring wire exerting downward force only. The gearbox will be a split affair, as in the Pug.

The boiler will be cylindrical with daylight underneath the chassis. We were hoping to be able to utalise the existing cylinder assembly, but now it's looking like we'll have to include our own. It'll be extra work but at least it'll be silver and will integrate with the etchings to provide a strong job. Hopefully, the brakegear can be re-used.

That's the plan up to now....

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:36 pm

I guess this is the 14" not the mis-dimentioned 16".
I have GA plan of the 16"....
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

nigelcliffe

Postby nigelcliffe » Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:37 pm

High Level Kits wrote:Customers with Gmail accounts (for emails) who might think we're ignoring their communications:

We are unable to send messages to anyone with a Gmail address, due to Gmail changing security settings at their end. Sending from our business mail doesn't work either but, as a last resort, we may be able to send you a text if we have your mobile number.

This has been going on for a while now but sending via the message facility has always worked fine. Now even this is playing up...

Google have been pushing for full verification of email addresses for a while. Its something your ISP providing the business website hosting should be able to setup and make work properly - a few entries in the DNS records for the location which holds the domain name.

Whilst not an expert on it, I've been through the changes recently with the 2mm Scale Association website. Happy to talk about what I know if you get in touch.

- Nigel

buckie5507

Postby buckie5507 » Sun Aug 06, 2023 6:46 pm

You should be able to get your host/email provider to add SPF and DKIM authentication. Our business email is through 123reg, a phone call to tech support and they were able to sort it in a few seconds.

Jonathan

kelly

Postby kelly » Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:43 pm

As Jonathan says, it should be fairly straightforward to get sorted out. DEMU had to do similar recently to fix the same issue, once our webmaster had gotten the security feature added all was well again.
DEMU UPDate Editor
DEMU
Photos on Flickr

nigelcliffe

Postby nigelcliffe » Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:49 pm

The other thing to add, is once the authentication is setup, outbound sending needs to go through that service. (Which will be a setting in whatever email client application is being used on the PC/Mac/iPad/phone/etc.. )

One can't do the old trick of changing one's "sender address" but still sending the message via another ISP or different service provider.

- Nigel

High Level Kits

Postby High Level Kits » Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:38 am

All the stuff that's been discussed is outside my control as the site itself handles the messaging.

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:48 am

Ive been having the same despite my host saying that my DKIM and SPF authentications are fine.
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

Lindsay G

Postby Lindsay G » Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:04 am

The suggested approach to the supply of HL items is a very good one, and one that I'd like to see many others adopting.

The only items that really need to be supplied with a "kit" are the etched and cast items that are not available elsewhere. I find it all a bit nonsensical that some kit suppliers will provide a few short lengths of wire and cable, and exact numbers of nuts, bolts, and cast items that are readily available elsewhere yet leave the modeller to work out wheeling, motor and gearbox arrangements. The crazy thing is that these parts that are supplied can be easily lost (handrail knobs!) or damaged during build meaning the builder has got to go out and fend for him/herself in any case. Furthermore, how many supplied castings or turned items have also proven to be less than perfect?

Go for it, Chris. A perfectly reasonable approach, and one that I hope catches on.

Lindsay

P.S. The suggestion that a list of parts suppliers is also a good one whether for new modellers or others loosing sources such as Eileens Emporium. Those providing the parts must know of sources for the non-supplied items.

nigelcliffe

Postby nigelcliffe » Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:03 am

High Level Kits wrote:All the stuff that's been discussed is outside my control as the site itself handles the messaging.

jim s-w wrote:Ive been having the same despite my host saying that my DKIM and SPF authentications are fine.

In both cases, either not asking quite the right question of support, or support haven't got it right (perhaps there are other records in there which are causing an issue), or there's something being done to not use it correctly (outbound mail has to go through the correct place, or it never gets the authentication). It *is* fixable.

- Nigel

Neil Smith

Postby Neil Smith » Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:28 pm

For what it's worth, I placed an order yesterday and got an email - to my gmail - instantly through without any bother. That might be a different system to the one used for correspondence, but...

All the best

Neil

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:32 pm

I have just had the same problem with a decorators’ supplier in Halifax. Emails to my gmail are not getting through. In the end they sent to my wife’s ‘live.co.uk’ address and that was fine.

I wonder how many others have the same problem and actually not realised it? Seems to me Google have some answers required of them. Not everyone will have the expertise to sort out things like this.

Philip
Last edited by Philip Hall on Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kelly

Postby kelly » Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:43 pm

Philip Hall wrote:I have just had the same problem with a decorators’ supplier in Halifax. Emails to my gmail are not getting through. In the they sent to my wife’s ‘live.co.uk’ address and that was fine.

I wonder how many others have the same problem and actually not realised it? Seems to me Google have some answers required of them. Not everyone will have the expertise to sort out things like this.

Philip

Google are big enough that they won't really care. They'll deem it your problem not theirs. Your email/host providers should be able to fix the problem, if they can't perhaps a better provider is required.
DEMU UPDate Editor
DEMU
Photos on Flickr

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:50 pm

I’m not quite sure it’s my problem, more that other businesses who we all could be dealing with who may not know it’s happening. I am getting emails from all and sundry (and I’m gmail so it is Google) without troubles, and my provider is Plusnet, who have been very good. So if it’s like Chris’ problem, it’s at the sender’s end.

It’s people not knowing that is the nub of the matter. We all on here do now because of this topic. You can see from my comments that I fall into the ‘lost’ category!

Philip

Return to “Product Information”