Pre-Grouping Railways (kit and couplings)

For new product announcements, recommendations, reviews and sourcing. Must be relevant to society members.
MarcD

Pre-Grouping Railways (kit and couplings)

Postby MarcD » Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:34 pm

I suppose I better give everyone, who has never heard of me or my kits, a bit of an introduction. I have been producing kits in 7mm since 1999 under the Furness Railway Wagon Co banner and in the last few years Pre-Grouping Railways. The business started as a university project, my Dad wanted some wagons and I need a project. By the close of 2021 we had 150 wagons, plus locos coaches and some buildings all in 7mm. So how did I make the move to making 4mm stock, at the back end of last year I was asked if it was posable to scale down some of my 7mm wagon and coaches to 4mm. And as they sold, so I have been developing the range in 7mm and 4mm as well as HO,S and G1(1/32).

In addition to the rolling stock earlier this year I launched a re-engineered version of the Dingham auto coupling called the Flippem. This was initially for my own use in 7mm but following Trevor's retirement and requests from some of my customers I was persuaded to produce it commercially in both 7mm and 4mm. I found the original coupling did not to do what I needed on my 7mm micro layout "WC Boggs". The originals couldn't cope with height differences (positions of the coupling hook hole) in pre-grouping stock and also curves down to 3ft4 (PECO O gauge set track). So after 2 years of R&D it launched in February. https://pregroupingrailways.com/product ... ng-system/

As I said I'm now producing 4mm bodies but I'm also developing the necessary etched parts to allow them to sold as full kits. When looking at the range if you see something that you would like to see in 4mm and currently isn't there then either contact me via the website, here on this forum or Western Thunder An I will see if I can bump it up the order.

For my full range of couplings and rolling stock please visit the website https://pregroupingrailways.com/

Marc
www.pregroupingrailways.com for everything built before 1923

Neil Smith

Re: Pre-Grouping Railways (kit and couplings)

Postby Neil Smith » Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:44 pm

Marc I have sent you a PM.

Best wishes

Neil

Suffolk Dave

Postby Suffolk Dave » Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:10 am

Marc

You have an impressive range of wagon kits to your name - the world of 7mm has clearly been spoilt! I'll look forward to you producing more 4mm kits, particularly of your LNER/GER stock.

Dave
Check out my modelling activity here: https://www.instagram.com/4mm_dave/

MarcD

Postby MarcD » Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:17 am

I have just taken delivery of an etch full of 4mm parts for my current wagon body range so I can now offer the range as full kits. The will be a 3D printed body, buffers and axle-boxes with springs. Etched brass brakes and 3 point compensation units. I will be updating the 4mm range over the next few days to reflect that.

Marc

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:16 pm

Hi Marc, really interesting post. Have you worked out what the minimum radius your 4mm coupling would operate succesfully ? I've got a Dingham etch still to be started but I don't think they will work on the really tight curves on my 'Braynerts Sidings' shunting plank.

MarcD

Postby MarcD » Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:16 am

I did do a quick scale calc for someone a few weeks ago. As they should work at a nominal 3ft in 7mm (Only tested at 3ft4) in 4mm they should be OK at 2ft in theory. I did get a request, at the weekend, for even larger loops so people can fit them to MK1 coaches etc as even my large one struggle with very long vehicles and reverse curves.
Marc

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:30 am

Thanks for the reply. I see that you produce an alternative loop for use with the original Dingham etch. How does this differ? Is the effect it produces the same as your 'wide' Flippem loop?

MarcD

Postby MarcD » Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:09 pm

They are the same loops that are on the Flippem etches. They are interchangeable. If the dingam is at the standard height then why change the hook all you need to do is fit the large loops and they will be able to be used on tighter curves. The new hooks are stronger and allow height adjustment but its the loop size that enables their use on tighter curves.

Marc

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:20 pm

Thanks Marc. I'll probably order a set from you - after I've investigated your wagon selection too!

MarcD

Re: Pre-Grouping Railways (kits and couplings)

Postby MarcD » Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:16 pm

I have just retooled my GER/GCR 10/17 ton brake van. It is now available in 4mm and 7mm as a full kit. it is available in both 9ft and 10ft3 wheel bases.
And for anyone who missed Scalefourum we now have over 45 different kits n 4mm. Please check the website for the full list. I'm currently adding about 2 wagons a week. All wagons come with 3 point compensation and brass brake parts.

Marc

Return to “Product Information”