ABS Range of products

For new product announcements, recommendations, reviews and sourcing. Must be relevant to society members.
Tribus

ABS Range of products

Postby Tribus » Thu May 13, 2021 11:33 am

I do hope it's not disrespectful to ask (it being perhaps too soon after the sad passing of Adrian Swain). But is anyone aware of any plans to purchase/continue/re-market the ABS range of products?

bécasse

Re: ABS Range of products

Postby bécasse » Thu May 13, 2021 12:00 pm

It looks hopeful that most, if not all, of the various ABS-linked ranges have found someone (or some organisation) prepared to take them on.

Inevitably both the surviving stocks and the wherewithal for replacing depleted stocks had become somewhat deranged in recent years, Adrian himself was always complaining that what he took back from Wrightlines was in a bit of a mess (largely because spares had been sourced from complete kits IIRC), and I suspect that it will take all the new owners sometime to come to grips with the ranges they have acquired.

In the circumstances I guess that the last thing that any of them will want is having to handle large numbers of enquiries for things that they are currently unable to provide and so it is just a case of "watching this space".

It is perhaps worth remembering that Adrian himself got a bad reputation for buying ranges that he then ceased to sell. These were almost entirely ranges where he already provided the white-metal castings and some other components, but he found the stumbling block was that the ranges often needed other components which could no longer be sourced, at least from the original supplier, and no detailed specifications (which might have assisted the quest for a new supplier) existed. A situation probably typical of many "cottage industry" suppliers of model railway products.

Guy Rixon

Postby Guy Rixon » Fri May 14, 2021 9:16 am

I wish that the inheritors of kit ranges would give more thought to selling them as partial kits if they can't provide all the parts. Putting a kit aside until extra parts can be arranged is not very helpful and not even good business-sense, I think. The set of people who would buy and build a kit is converging strongly with the set of people who could make or source the extra parts.

For example, somewhere in the ABS legacy is the ex-D&S kit for an SER round-ended wagon. I spoke to Adrian about this years ago, when he was still going to shows, and he said that it was unlikely ever to be produced again. I think he was stuck on the etched, compensated axleguards, which were a D&S part for which he didn't have the rights. Clearly, restoring this as a complete kit needed a lot of time that he could better use elsewhere. But the etched bits were never very good, and I think those who wanted the kit would have paid well for just the castings; I certainly would.

nberrington

Postby nberrington » Fri May 14, 2021 10:36 am

I agree Guy. Falcon Brass is another example. I notice that one of the recent owners has listed some “etches only” packages on eBay this week. These kits always require extra effort to make them into something decent, and many of us are changing out bits we don’t care for anyway. Some people are good with just partial kits....

I know the stalled upgrades of the ex Falcon kits were its downfall, with some considerable nastiness aimed at the owner at the time. She simply decided to stop altogether, rather than face the venom of internet trolls. One can’t blame her I suppose. It only takes a few unhappy people who want to shake the box and have a model, to ruin it for those who like fiddling to get things right.

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Fri May 14, 2021 12:34 pm

I have never understood eBay or how to use it.

Where would one find the listed Falcon Brass etches only on eBay?

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Fri May 14, 2021 12:52 pm

Just type falcon brass into the search box at the top of the ebay page, you should get 25 results.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Fri May 14, 2021 10:39 pm

nberrington wrote:I agree Guy. Falcon Brass is another example. I notice that one of the recent owners has listed some “etches only” packages on eBay this week. These kits always require extra effort to make them into something decent, and many of us are changing out bits we don’t care for anyway. Some people are good with just partial kits....

I know the stalled upgrades of the ex Falcon kits were its downfall, with some considerable nastiness aimed at the owner at the time. She simply decided to stop altogether, rather than face the venom of internet trolls. One can’t blame her I suppose. It only takes a few unhappy people who want to shake the box and have a model, to ruin it for those who like fiddling to get things right.

I have replied to your e-mail about this.
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Smallbrook Junction

Postby Smallbrook Junction » Fri May 28, 2021 9:45 pm

Gentlemen (and any ladies),

A good friend pointed me in the direction of this thread and I thought I'd respond.

I'd like to let those who are interested know, that I am the new owner of the 4mm railway ranges, acquired from the estate of the late Adrian Swain.

It is my intention to release as much of the range and detailing parts back on the market as soon as is reasonably possible to do so. Initially it will be via a dedicated website with online ordering facilities, which is currently under construction. The full range and pricing is still being established as there is still a lot of sorting and cataloging to do. It will also include wagons and other rolling stock which was in Adrian's pipeline, but which sadly never made it to market.

The option of selling at shows is an unknown quantity, but this may happen if and when exhibitions get back to some kind of normal.

Many of you will probably be thinking 'how soon will things be available' and the best answer I can give at the moment is later this year. Sorting and organising the ranges is no small task. I intend to make ordering and supply straight forward and efficient, with a prompt turnaround of orders backed up with healthy stock levels.

I will post here as things develop.

Stay safe.
Chris

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Fri May 28, 2021 10:28 pm

Very good news indeed, Chris. Best of luck with the sorting.

Philip

iak

Postby iak » Fri May 28, 2021 10:39 pm

Bravo sir and may the muse be benevolent and guiding
Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest
enemy of truth....
Albert Einstein

Perfection is impossible.
But I may choose to serve perfection....
Robert Fripp

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PadgateWorks/

MPR

Postby MPR » Fri May 28, 2021 10:44 pm

That’s excellent news! Best of luck with your endeavour.

Craig Warton

Postby Craig Warton » Sun May 30, 2021 2:53 am

Chris,

Thank you for taking this on.

Can I make a plea to please include us overseas types in the ordering process please?

Regards,

Craig Warton.

Alan Woodard

Postby Alan Woodard » Sun May 30, 2021 5:10 am

Excellent news Chris.

Power to the elbow.

Al.

nberrington

Postby nberrington » Sun May 30, 2021 12:26 pm

Craig Warton wrote:Chris,

Thank you for taking this on.

Can I make a plea to please include us overseas types in the ordering process please?

Regards,

Craig Warton.

Yes please! There are a few of us out here!

Martin M

Postby Martin M » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:29 pm

Chris excellent news one question I do have is that I believe the ex D&S SE&CR wagons were brought up by Adrian and were planned to be part of the ABS range? Is there any truth in this at all? I am interested in the SE&CR round ended wagons

Many thanks

Martin Marrison

Smallbrook Junction

Postby Smallbrook Junction » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:17 pm

Dear all,

Thanks for your positive responses and support.

In answer to some of the questions, I will be making stock available to our overseas folk, but as yet have not determined the shipping service options.

Adrian did indeed acquire part of the D & S wagon range and most kits did not make it back on to the market during it's time in Adrian's hands. It is my intention to re-introduce as much of the range, as component parts, tooling and drawings availability allow.

It is quite a big undertaking but good progress is being made with all the ranges and as things progress, I will make further announcements in due course.

If anyone feels they have useful technical info regarding any of Adrian's range, then do please PM me - anything to speed things up and help fill in the gaps is always welcome.

Best wishes
Chris

Martin M

Postby Martin M » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:13 pm

Chris
Excellent news I'll looks forward to the SE&CR wagons as they are currently fetching silly money on Ebay.

thanks

Martin

Return to “Product Information”