Advice on signalling a small layout

Discussions of the prototypes and how to model them. Show us how you do it.
Triode

Advice on signalling a small layout

Postby Triode » Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:43 am

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice on what kind of signalling, if any, I can reasonably justify including on my small P4 plank layout (track plan below), which will be set in 1970s-1990s North East England.

It basically consists of a small two-track DMU-only terminus station and an adjacent PW or freight yard with a headshunt and diesel fuelling point.

With my limited knowledge of signalling, all I can be sure of is that there would need to be some signals to control the movement of trains into and out of the platforms, but I can also imagine that they might be placed so that they would appear off-scene from a layout perspective. Is this likely to be the case, or could there possibly be signals provided under the footbridge as a 'stop/go' for DMUs leaving the station?

For the yard, I'm not sure any signalling is needed. My understanding of shunt signalling is vague at best, but am I right in thinking it only exists where shunting movements interact with a main line, and so would not be applicable here? All the switches in the yard are controlled locally via manual levers with no overall signal box or ground frame.

I'd appreciate any advice on possibly including a couple of signals to add some oeprational interest, but only if they would reasonably be present from a prototype perspective.

Many thanks,

Liam
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jim s-w

Re: Advice on signalling a small layout

Postby jim s-w » Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:52 am

Hi Liam

The small PW sidings make sense but the diesel fueling point is a bit OTT so I'd drop that. From your track plan I wouldn't see any need for signals - there may be some further off scene perhaps where the yard line meets the passenger line.

HTH

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

Noel

Postby Noel » Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:15 am

I agree with Jim. The platform road starters will be offscene, and in reality would be beyond the platform ends so that the full length of the platform can be used. They would be placed to be visible under the footbridge. Yard signalling will be at the trap before exit to the main line; within the yard hand-worked points won't be signalled, there being no need for it as there will be someone on the ground to change the points and signal to the driver that it is OK to move.

Fuelling points would generally only be at depots, as DMUs and diesel locos can normally work all day for several days without refuelling and will be diagrammed to visit a depot well before they need refuelling. Additionally, although diesel fuel has a relatively high flashpoint, a location between a headshunt and a working siding is not ideal, and also poses risks to staff working on the ground.
Regards
Noel

Worzels Works

Postby Worzels Works » Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:27 pm

Hi Liam,

for a bit of interest depending if you're electrically minded a pair of repeaters on the bridge for the platform starters could be an extra bit of 'life' to add to the platforms? the plan looks like it has oodles of potential for a fun layout, is the intention to exhibit it too?
Yours aye,
James

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:31 pm

I agree about ditching the fuelling point. I'd have a look at branches at the time. Some retained full semaphore signalling. Some had rudimentary signalling. Some has MAS and some were "one engine in steam". As ever I'd start with a location and reason for the line. Perhaps instead of the fuelling, you can have something there that would still be rail connected. Glass, sand, engineering, paper, scrap, grain, foodstuff. aggregate, domestic coal, docks, fertilizer, on shore oil, sugar beet, malt, steel coil, tractors, bricks, breeze blocks, cement, salt, milk...
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Triode

Postby Triode » Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:07 pm

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

The plan is based on a 'half yard' concept with the rest of the yard off-scene and the first few wagons appearing under the bridge with room for the loco to run around its train.

I'm thinking the yard will most likely be for PW/Engineers' use, but I do have a lot of other freight stock I want to display so I'm staying clear of a scrapyard, cement works of anything that would tie it too much to one particular traffic. I hope a Speedlink type train poking out from under the bridge won't look too out of place if the sidings look reasonably generic. :)

As for exhibiting, it wasn't something I planned for to be honest but could be fun! It is a very small setup about 2.4m long in total by 0.4m wide, and the 1m fiddle yard can be detached, so quite portable.

FYI, the main layout topic is here with some photos of progress: viewtopic.php?f=164&t=7800

Thanks again,

Liam

Return to “Signals and Control Systems”