Ground signals

Discussions of the prototypes and how to model them. Show us how you do it.
mtaylor

Ground signals

Postby mtaylor » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:49 pm

I am in the process of signalling a model of a ex GNR station and goods yard in the West Riding circa mid 1930s. I have a signal box diagram from the mid 60s which shows where the ground signals were positioned and which levers operated them and I am happy to use this.

What I am struggling to find any guidance about is interlocking the signals with the relevant turnout, i.e. are they solely mechanically locked in the signal box or are detectors also required or a combination of the two depending on location? If “on-scene” detectors are required some info/photos etc would be appreciated.

Noel

Re: Ground signals

Postby Noel » Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:46 am

All semaphore ground signals would be interlocked and detected in the same way as any other semaphore signal. The detail of how that was done would depend on when the last resignalling was done, and how many points or other signals needed to be proved before the signal could be cleared. This should help for normal mechanical detection https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/84244-lner-signals-controlling-movement-from-sidings-to-running-lines/.
Regards
Noel

Return to “Signals and Control Systems”