Advice sought on point rodding routing

Discussions of the prototypes and how to model them. Show us how you do it.
barhamd

Advice sought on point rodding routing

Postby barhamd » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:48 am

I'm trying to work out how to route the point rodding on my layout based on Clare in Suffolk. Photographs only help a bit but I can see a run of rodding down the signalbox side of the tracks only. The photographs I have show this on the original track arrangement which had a siding and kick-back which was removed in ~1955 and replaced with a simple siding. So, one thing to consider is whether I route the rodding along what would have been the far side of the siding or closer to the main line.

rodding.jpg

I reckon I should take the rodding along the platform edge from the signal box, across the rebuilt coal siding and then presume that the original run wouldn't have been moved when the siding was removed, that would leave a track width gap between the rodding and the main line.

To put this into some context here is a picture of the track as it currently stands with a fresh layer of ballast. You can see the 5-arc bridge from previous discussions in the background.
IMG_6938a.jpg

I'd appreciate any views or better prototype knowledge.

thanks
David
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Re: Advice sought on point rodding routing

Postby Terry Bendall » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:53 am

David

MRJ numbers 113 and 115 had some useful articles by Steve Hall on point rodding.

Terry Bendall

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:43 am

The 2mm Scale Association's new 'Point Rodding' book explains it all in excellent detail

http://www.2mm.org.uk/products/nms/

Scroll down the page to the bottom.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:38 am

I reckon I should take the rodding along the platform edge from the signal box, across the rebuilt coal siding and then presume that the original run wouldn't have been moved when the siding was removed, that would leave a track width gap between the rodding and the main line.

That makes perfect sense to me, moving the rodding would be an unneccesary expense unless the land was sold off.
Rgds
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:47 pm

Most likely a gap as seen here at Ashton Junction, though the extra line was removed in around 1976.
Ashton Junction 18-7-1978 New Hanimex Lens 136-7.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Noel

Postby Noel » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:33 pm

The point into the siding is in a different position to the previous crossover accessing the coal siding, so would require a new rodding run, I assume, which can be put on the old trackbed, presumably? So far as the main run to the end of the loop is concerned, would the geometry have changed enough for the compensators to need moving? [if yes, presumably this could be done without disturbing the rest of the rodding?]
Regards
Noel

BrockleyAndrew

Postby BrockleyAndrew » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:06 pm

Lovely photo Tim,
Not knowing anything about the junction, it would appear there is one line less used (dull railtops) than the others - do you know why?
Andrew

John Palmer

Postby John Palmer » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:56 am

BrockleyAndrew wrote:Lovely photo Tim,
Not knowing anything about the junction, it would appear there is one line less used (dull railtops) than the others - do you know why?
Andrew

The dull railtops are the line running into the up side platform at Ashton Gate station, reduced to siding status.

Trackplan: http://bristol-rail.co.uk/wiki/File:Ashton_Junction_%26_Ashton_Meadows_Track_Plan_1988.jpg

A view the other way: http://bristol-rail.co.uk/wiki/File:Ashton_Junction26.jpg

Return to “Signals and Control Systems”