Yard lever frame

Discussions of the prototypes and how to model them. Show us how you do it.
steve howe

Yard lever frame

Postby steve howe » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:21 am

I need a small lever frame for a GWR goods yard which would not necessarily be covered by a hut, I am wondering if MSE's kit:

LS009 4-lever ground frame Saxby & Farmer type

Would fit the bill? or anyone know of another version.

Thanks Steve

Alan Turner

Re: Yard lever frame

Postby Alan Turner » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:36 am

Wills do one.

regards

Alan

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:44 pm

Thanks Alan, I did'nt know about that one.

For my plan:
lower rose plan.jpg

I am assuming only 2 levers would be necessary, one to control the crossover in the yard entrance, and the other to operate the point at the far end of the loop (offstage in my case, the layout effectively ends at the overbridge) I am not sure, on a goods-only line operated as one-engine-in -steam, if it would have been a requirement to have a catch point at the far end of the loop, probably rather academic as it would presumably have been driven by the same lever as operates the point. There being no gradients to cause runaway problems. So I guess two levers would suffice?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:13 pm

I don't really see why you have a GF at all, hand levers should be adequate. And operating the point at the right hand end from the GF where shown seems a bit of an operational headache. Who will work it, and how will they see that the track is clear for the point to be operated. I suggest that that point needs its own local lever or GF. GF perhaps if you want the points released by the staff.
An arriving train will need to run round before shunting, and for that move the fireman can operate the points by the GF, the guard will be at the back and can operate the right hand points.
Regards
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Noel

Postby Noel » Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:13 pm

I assume the line had never had a passenger service? If it had, there would have been traps on the loop at both ends, with permanent G/Fs [unless there was a signal box] while the passenger service operated. A lot would then depend on what the policy was regarding infrastructure changes when the passenger service ceased. For a goods only line, G/Fs may have been installed, depending on what was felt to be required at the time of construction. Depending on distances involved and potential hazards on the way, the line could have been operated as a siding, with trains propelled from the junction/previous loop, with the brake van leading, thus avoiding the need for the loop and the G/Fs, with a saving in maintenance. In all cases, the yard sidings would have had hand levers, but with a trap between the sidings and the loop, as this is the start of the running line, possibly omitted for a goods only line.

If a GF was needed, then a single lever, in the open, was enough in at least some cases. The Goonbarrow branch, for example, had single lever G/Fs, as no point locks were normally required on a goods only line, which operated the connection to the running line and a trap in the joining line. No structures were provided for the G/Fs. It seems not to have been uncommon for sidings on goods only lines to have had traps, presumably to allow for the possibility of someone manually moving a wagon onto the running line without authority, or even the wind doing so [perhaps surprisingly, that once happened in sidings alongside a main line and led to a nasty accident], as well as on gradients, in case a handbrake wasn't [properly] applied.
Regards
Noel

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:56 pm

Hmm food for thought, thanks Noel and Keith,

I may be over egging it, the Treamble Branch upon which the model is based, was timetabled 'run as required' so presumably treated as a long siding from the junction at Shepherds station. There was however a token for the Branch which still exists (in the NRM) but I have no information on the point operation arrangements at the terminus which was basically as I have drawn it less one siding. I was thinking perhaps that the points at the far end of the loop would have been locked by the frame so that the crossover could only be set for the loco to run round once those points had been correctly set for the loop, a blast on the whistle would indicate when the loco had cleared the points ready to return. But as you say, that might be over complicating a relatively simple and common-sense solution!

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:02 pm

How about this for inspiration from the Carbean branch.
Carbean Branch, New Caudledown South 2 August 1978 Vivitar Lens 143-21.jpg

Single lever, released by the staff.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

steamraiser

Postby steamraiser » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:41 pm

Just to add a twist Tim V's single lever ground frame also has what looks like a locking mechanism for the lever.

The key would be attached to and issued with the staff for that line. The key would unlock the lever to allow its operation and access off the main line to a siding.

The key could only be removed when the lever is returned to normal.

If you do not need this added safety feature then normal independent levers for each point would be fine.

Gordon A

Noel

Postby Noel » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:33 pm

steve howe wrote:the Treamble Branch upon which the model is based, was timetabled 'run as required'

Not necessarily a reliable guide, since the line may still have had the infrastructure from earlier and busier days...
Regards
Noel

ianpenberth

Postby ianpenberth » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:33 am

It appears that there were never any busy days at Treamble ;) .

Steve,
two OPC books by John Vaughan, "Branches & Byways - Cornwall" and "The Newquay Branch and its Branches", each contain a brief outline of the two incarnations of the Treamble branch.

NB&B contains a reproduction of GWR Notice 2131 concerning the re-opening of the line on 16 Feb 26, stating, inter alia, "The new catch point at Shepherds has been coupled to the Box and the points and Loop at Treamble are operated by ordinary hand levers", with the method of working being "Train Staff only, One engine in steam or two coupled".

If you wanted to jazz it up a bit, JV's descriptions of the Retew branch give some clues as to the GF arrangements along there.

Mum and Dad were assistant wardens at the Caravan Club site, adjacent to the old mine, for a couple of seasons in the 1980s. Bleak, windswept place with plenty of furze.

Cheers
Ian
PenBits Model Railways - Diesel bogie springing and detailing

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:09 am

With lever frames situated outside, were the levers still painted as for signal box colours? or did they just have an identification plate with the lever being black/rust?
ground_frame.jpg

the pictures I have seen so far suggest the latter, but they are all post-war.

Steve

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:54 pm

Your plan only shows points being worked by the frame - so it's academic. The lever would be black in your case.
Tim V

Noel

Postby Noel » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:43 pm

Jack Nelson's "LNWR Portrayed", p 65 shows a 6-lever frame in BR days [judging by the car visible behind it] where one is a very pale colour [but not white], and at least two of others are probably not black, in my view. The top half of the handles is bare metal, I think, the lower half is white.
Regards
Noel

Phil O

Postby Phil O » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:37 pm

If I remember correctly, it's been a while since I last went to Gunnislake, the lever frame at Bere Alston has a light blue lever for the lock and black one for the turnout.

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:41 pm

As it's a goods only line, there wouldn't be a facing point lock. The levers would be black.
Tim V

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:54 pm

Here is a frame on the Cambrian, red - signals, brown - gate lock.
Criccieth Merllyn Crossing Summer 2005 Nikon S80- (1).jpg
Tim V

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:16 pm

Tim V wrote:As it's a goods only line, there wouldn't be a facing point lock. The levers would be black.

Of course.. :thumb

a case of missing the b******ng obvious!

Steve

Return to “Signals and Control Systems”