Moving coul meter resistance

Discussions of the prototypes and how to model them. Show us how you do it.
johnp

Moving coul meter resistance

Postby johnp » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:58 pm

Hi! I think this is the right place for this query.

I have a number of moving coil meters that I wish to use for various things about the railway. Some, which are centre zero, will be used for block instruments but they have not come with any idea of their internal resistance. My question is, therefore, how can I determine the resistance of the various meters.

Regards,

John

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Re: Moving coul meter resistance

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:25 pm

Most multimeters will measure resistance, if you don't have one they can be purchased quite cheaply from the likes of Maplin, B&Q etc. and have lots of other uses round the layout.
eg. http://www.maplin.co.uk/3-in-1-autoranging-multimeter-with-non-contact-detector-46020 There are lots of others.
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

johnp

Postby johnp » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:50 pm

Keith,

Thank you for that. I hadn't thought of using my multimeter. I thought there was some more esoteric way of getting the resistance.

Regards,

John

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:10 am

The current issue of MRJ, 220 contains an article by Mike Norris on the building of his block instruments which make use of coil meters and contains information about how to change a meter where the pointer moves across the whole of the scale, known as full scale deflection, to one where the pointer will be in the centre, which is what is normally required for a block instrument display.

Terry Bendall

johnp

Postby johnp » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:05 pm

Terry,

Yes, a very good article. If I need more meters, it is not a very large railway and it is very slow in coming together, I will certainly use Mike Norris's methods.

Regards,

John

Return to “Signals and Control Systems”