Servo Control of Points

Discussions of the prototypes and how to model them. Show us how you do it.
Mark Forrest

Re: Servo Control of Points

Postby Mark Forrest » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:04 am

Colin Parks wrote:I am still thinking about Frog Juicers, more wishful than anything else as it would be a simple fix. The track formation I am working on at present contains two crossovers including one tandem turnout and there will be three crossovers if I ever get that far. One other concern with these juicers is that it would appear that there is a potential for a loco to be driven over a wrongly set turnout in the trailing direction

I liked the simplicity of the Frog Juicer so decided to try one on Fryers Lane. There is a noticeable spark when a wheel makes contact with the common crossing which has put me off using them again in future.

Yes, you can drive through an incorrectly set turnout in the trailing direction, first sign of something being wrong is a derailment; although suppose you could argue that is more realistic than coming to a dead stop due to a short at the vee if polarity is switched by more traditional methods.

junctionmad

Postby junctionmad » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:34 pm

Personally I find it easier with servos to switch the frog with a relay then mess about with mechanical fixturing to mount a micro switch . , elections are easier then bolts for me :mrgreen:

Colin Parks

Postby Colin Parks » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:01 pm

[quote="Mark Forrest"]

"I liked the simplicity of the Frog Juicer so decided to try one on Fryers Lane. There is a noticeable spark when a wheel makes contact with the common crossing which has put me off using them again in future.

Yes, you can drive through an incorrectly set turnout in the trailing direction, first sign of something being wrong is a derailment; although suppose you could argue that is more realistic than coming to a dead stop due to a short at the vee if polarity is switched by more traditional methods".

Hi Mark,

I just love that comment about derailments being more realistic than a loco coming to a dead stop! Seriously though, the idea of sparks being produced at the same place on the track every time a loco passes over it and at various places on loco tyres sounds unsatisfactory.

(Apologies John, I will not hijack your thread any more, the subject of which is servo control...)

Colin

Return to “Signals and Control Systems”