Locomotive kit recomendation for newbie

Help and advice for those starting in, or converting to P4 standards. A place to share modelling as a beginner in P4.
Daddyman

Re: Locomotive kit recomendation for newbie

Postby Daddyman » Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:04 am

I wouldn't recommend the saddle tanks. From what I've seen of the secondhand kits I've picked up, a lot of modellers struggle with bending metal accurately and evenly, and one of the hardest shapes to bend is a saddle tank, with its three curve centres. I've had to bin the mangled tank wrapper that came in a s/h kit on at least two occasions. I even had to send a pre-mangled - sorry, pre-rolled - one back to a manufacturer twice; on the third attempt, I just told him to leave it flat and I'd roll it myself.

Mike Paterson

Postby Mike Paterson » Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:30 pm

Many thanks for the suggestions. One thing I can guarantee is that, nothing will get done whilst I am in my camper watching the thunderstorms in Northern Spain for the next 6 weeks or so. However, I feel that another trip to the attic is required on my return as I have more stuff squirreled away up there.

Bernie

Postby Bernie » Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:30 pm

Hi Mike!
Speaking as someone who fails consistently at building chassis etc., the one piece of solid advice I can offer is to not go into the attic! Pick one project and see it to completion. Please post up your work, it is always lovely to see others’ endeavour.

Best of luck!

Bernie

Worzels Works

Postby Worzels Works » Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:25 am

Bernie wrote: the one piece of solid advice I can offer is to not go into the attic!

Bernie, that is brilliant advice that I have also just come to the conclusion of also! I've still got almost 2 month's until I'm back at the modelling bench and the last few weeks have been having to hold back from opening the penny pouch for other scale distractions! "Finish the current projects first!" is a motto that should keep me busy for the next 12 Months or so :shock:

Mike, looking forward to see what you end up building and looking forward to gleaming tips off you and everyone else here... reminds me I need to email Judith edge about their Janus chassis again...
Yours aye,
James

Mike Paterson

Postby Mike Paterson » Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:48 am

Greetings from a rather moist Cornwall. Now back from sunny Spain.

So despite the sensible advice, I took another trip into the attic to see what else was up there that I had forgotten about. This is what I found and think fits the bill:
Hunslet 15 box.jpg

My reasons for the choice are as follows:

1) No external valve gear.
2) I have most of the parts apart from P4 wheels. The wheels I have are Sharman EM profile ones.
3) I have made Impetus kits before and all run well.
4) Relatively simple to build with not too many parts.
5) I like an industrial.
6) I may be able to squeeze in one of my Maxon coreless motors that I got out of the scrap bin at work.

I have made 3 other Impetus kits including a saddle tank so am fairly confident that I can form the tank wrapper.

I do intend to do a build diary as others have suggested. I have family stuff to do for a week or so. That means there will be no progress to report for a while but I have had a look at the kit, read the instructions and pressed out a few rivets. That was carried out with nothing more sophisticated than a blunt scriber and a light tap with a Tamiya hammer.

This kit, included wheels, was bought along with a Finney Atbara. Both were found stuffed in a box under a traders table at a show in Watford a few years back. He was only interested in shifting boxed RTR. I offered him £60 for both and got them both for £50 because he was sorry that the Atbara didn't have a tender. I showed no emotion and gave him the cash and walked out with a huge smile on my face.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike Paterson

Postby Mike Paterson » Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:30 am

I have received some requests for a build diary. So here is episode 1.
contents.jpg

Here is what i have already. New Sharman wheels ordered to replace the EM ones. Impetus kits were, in my opinion, well made kits. They came complete with nice fittings including some finely turned ones.

I have an older HL load hauler gearbox with a main gear that needs to be bonded to the drive axle. Not my favorite but I will work with it. The kit comes complete with hornblocks and an etched compensation beam. So that will be the method of construction and suspension.

I tend to make up the running plate first and then the basic chassis to ensure that the mounting holes and fixing points match up. With these made it is easier to make any adjustments so that the gearbox and motor combination fit. I will also make up the saddle tank frame to see if i can fit a larger motor rather than the Mashima 10 x 20 I have. I try to use Maxon 40 x 15 coreless motors. I have a good stock of these. They are 9v but work well.

I will create a new post in the beginners section to make it easier for others to follow
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Starting in P4”