Scalefour Workbench - a demo becomes reality (P4 Hornby 08)

Help and advice for those starting in, or converting to P4 standards. A place to share modelling as a beginner in P4.
Horsetan

Re: Scalefour Workbench - a demo becomes reality (P4 Hornby

Postby Horsetan » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:34 pm

I rewheeled a Hornby 08 a year or so ago using AGW wheels, both from eBay. Fairly straightforward, I thought, and a working P4 engine resulted for a shade under fifty quid.

Click here
Last edited by Horsetan on Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Colin Parks

Postby Colin Parks » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:42 am

I have a set of Ultrascale wheels to install on my 08. The set comes with a small bag containing the balance weight overlays. How do you fit those? There are no instructions in the packet, it must be assumed to be so simple that none are necessary. However, it leaves me wondering what glue use to attach them.

Colin

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:47 pm

I attached then with superglue. I also found that they were a bit too thick and ended up sanding them down flush with the wheel rims.

John

Colin Parks

Postby Colin Parks » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:54 am

John Donnelly wrote:I attached then with superglue. I also found that they were a bit too thick and ended up sanding them down flush with the wheel rims.

John

Hi John,

Those balance weights certainly did need sanding! The cut edges were a little rough too.

Re. your comments on pick-ups on 19/09: Having taken a Hornby 08 apart now, it seems that the design of the pick ups and the way they are installed could lead to some contacts being bent away from the wheels. On the plus side, removal of the brake gear is easily achieved and with that out of the way, the pick ups can be inspected and 'tweaked'. If extra pick ups do not help, something far worse could be the problem. It is worth persevering though. These locos are super runners once they have been sorted out!

All the best,

Colin

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:44 am

Cheers Colin. Mine has had additional pickups installed and still runs like a bag of hammers. I really need to strip it right down and start over...

John

Simon Glidewell

Postby Simon Glidewell » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:35 pm

I converted my Bachmann 08 some years ago using Ultascale wheels and have never had any problems with quartering or rough running. The loco has always been reliable and smooth and was my test loco when I started out in P4. I would hazard a guess and say that if the coupling rod crankpin holes have enough play and there is no binding throughout a complete revolution, in both directions, there should be no reason why the cranks should lose their quartering. This is assuming that the cranks are true in the first place. The Hornby 08 does seem to suffer from rough running in a lot of cases; I have one in OO gauge that has the well known screeching problem, and has an intermittent stalling issue even though the pick ups are fine. My Bachmann loco has none of this and is considerably older, being one of the very first batch that Bachmann introduced.

All the best
Simon

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:12 pm

I wonder if someone might have an idea on a problem I have with my Hornby 08 converted with Ultrascale wheels and reataining the Hornby coupling rods.

Without the rods in place it runs OK albeit the centre wheels don't rotate which suggests that they may not quite be on the track. After the coupling rods, the loco runs no problem cab first but, when I run it nose first, there is a definite lurch at the point here the cranks are at '9 oclock'. I can't see anything obvious that is binding and, as this is the only loco I have with coupling rods, it's not a situation I've come across before so any advoice would be gratefully accepted.

John

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:31 pm

Hi john

If the quartering is right then check that the rods are straight and the same length. Did it run ok in 00?

Cheers

Jim
Last edited by jim s-w on Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:54 pm

jim s-w wrote:It the quartering is right then check that the rods are straight and the same length. Did I run ok in 00

Apart from some pickup issues it has run OK since conversion to P4. Rods are straight and the same length. I'm assuming that the quartering is OK...

John

Return to “Starting in P4”