Bachmann 1532 (Class 1P) P4 Conversion anyone?

Help and advice for those starting in, or converting to P4 standards. A place to share modelling as a beginner in P4.
mkfuzzhead

Bachmann 1532 (Class 1P) P4 Conversion anyone?

Postby mkfuzzhead » Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:32 pm

Good evening,

Has anyone tackled a Bachmann 1532 (Class 1P) P4 Conversion?

Having just picked one up I was hoping that it might just be a case of dropping new wheelsets with some minor adjustments to ancillaries.. I think though it might need some butchery.

Cheers Steve

barrowroad

Re: Bachmann 1532 (Class 1P) P4 Conversion anyone?

Postby barrowroad » Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:51 pm

Hi Steve,
I have converted one. I have a thread on my 'barrowroad' workbench on the forum which you may find helpful.

Robin

RAO

Postby RAO » Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:42 pm

Hi Robin
I have one to convert, can you point me in the correct direction to your workbench, before I go down the Rumney chassi route?
Thanks

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:20 pm

Its very easy to find the workbench from the 'Forum Index' but here it is.
https://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=139&t=7414#p82822
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

barrowroad

Postby barrowroad » Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:40 am

Thanks Keith.
Steve, If you want any assistance with the conversion please ask. I'm not sure how far Justin has progressed with his modification of the 1P chassis to fit the Bachmann body. He asked to borrow my model to take measurements but it's not happened so far due to covid.

Robin

PeteT

Postby PeteT » Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:34 pm

Robin, apologies for not keeping you in the loop - as you had done your conversion it made sense to pick up a complete Bachmann loco to use for the test build.

The etch has been designed, and there are a few 3D printed parts that will be with it too (such as the boiler bottom).

I'm going to do the test build with a 1219C coreless motor from High Level (& a road runner + gearbox).

barrowroad

Postby barrowroad » Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:37 pm

Pete, no problem thanks for the update, I'll be interested on seeing your progress with the new etch.

Robin

RAO

Postby RAO » Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:13 pm

Hi Robin
I found your conversion on your 'Workbench' and have ordered the parts. We'll just have to see the progress!

Hi Pete
I will certainly be interested in parts that your about to produce as I will need more that one 1P 0-4-4t for my proposed layout.

Thank you all.

mkfuzzhead

Postby mkfuzzhead » Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:47 am

barrowroad wrote:Thanks Keith.
Steve, If you want any assistance with the conversion please ask. I'm not sure how far Justin has progressed with his modification of the 1P chassis to fit the Bachmann body. He asked to borrow my model to take measurements but it's not happened so far due to covid.

Robin

Robin,

Good morning. Thanks for the interesting Workbench piece and the offer of help... apologies for the delay in responding.

I've a few locos I'm intending to convert to P4; a Bachmann 3F with Brassmasters chassis kit, Hornby Stanier 2-6-4T which needs some careful repairs and the Class 1P. It was the latter that I was hoping to be the easiest as this is my first attempt at conversion to P4; I think I may be a little ambitious but you have to start somewhere.

It seems from your experience the real challenge will be the 'careful shaving' of the footplate / splashers so I'm thinking get the chassis up and running in the first instance, bask in that glory before getting the cutting gear out.

Shopping list, and monies, at the ready and a trip to the Gibson website needed.

My prototype is the one time Bedford based no 1295 which was a regular on the Bletchley to Cambridge portion of the Varsity line. Another 1P on the same stretch was no 1260 although I believe this isn't truly a cl1532 but one of the Neilson built class 1252; the degree to which these differed though is minimal however the latter did have smaller driving wheels 5'4" compared to 5'7".

Steve

mkfuzzhead

Postby mkfuzzhead » Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:08 am

PeteT wrote:Robin, apologies for not keeping you in the loop - as you had done your conversion it made sense to pick up a complete Bachmann loco to use for the test build.

The etch has been designed, and there are a few 3D printed parts that will be with it too (such as the boiler bottom).

I'm going to do the test build with a 1219C coreless motor from High Level (& a road runner + gearbox).

Pete,

How did the 1P conversion progress and in particular was the etch a success?

I'm still in the boxed up to do stage unfortunately.

Steve

PeteT

Postby PeteT » Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:18 pm

mkfuzzhead wrote:Pete,

How did the 1P conversion progress and in particular was the etch a success?

I'm still in the boxed up to do stage unfortunately.

Steve

Hi Steve, your timing of this question is almost perfect...

The etch has been proved, and last weekend pickups and then decoder were fitted. So the etch is good!

However, only 'almost' perfect timing as I need to fit the prints for the bogie springs, sandboxes, brake cylinder, etc. Being the test chassis I am going to leave it unpainted for at least an exhibition or two (it should be available at both the AGM and S4um all being well with me, it and the wider world) but thought I should give the prints a quick spray in case I leave it in the sun for a few years. These I sprayed at the beginning of the week, and will hopefully fit/prove on Friday.

Then I have some documentation updates to complete - general additions to those released for the Craftsman version, alterations/deviations for the Bachmann version, and body mods.

Therefore release into the wider world should be reasonably imminent.

Here is a taster photo, and a side by side with the chassis from the Craftsman version. That currently has the body off for painting, which I'm planning to move onto next once this has been finished. I have had a quiet year or so modelling wise but this build has been a very useful thing to get progress going again.

20220314_134954.jpg

20220314_100023.jpg

Thanks,
Pete
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mkfuzzhead

Postby mkfuzzhead » Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:40 am

Pete,

Thanks for the update and for sharing the very impressive progress on the 1P conversion.

I'm waiting with bated breath for the availability of the etch as this will certainly help my limited skills.

Obviously the careful 'butchery' of the Bachmann body, to achieve the correct B2B, is still necessary; unless there is a possibility of replacement splashers? How have you tackled this?

Steve

PeteT

Postby PeteT » Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:43 pm

Hi Steve,

Thanks, no problem!

Replacement splashers are a good idea and work for the likes of the Brassmasters 3F & 4F conversions, but the 1P is complicated somewhat by more elaborate liveries in many instances (aside from both of mine being plain black!), & also the extra section to clear the rod end/crankpin. It sounds a daunting job to attack the splashers, but they are a pretty convenient size for most slitting discs and going a bit at a time creates the clearance required without going through. I don’t think I have actually opened mine out quite as far as Robin, but have fitted a superglue impregnated sheet of green rizla paper to help insulate should anything touch at the extremity of its movement. This is more belt & braces as any regular contact would be an issue that needed to be resolved else it would affect the running.

That said, the splashers are the same size as the 3F & 4F, and Brassmasters do sell these separately, so those could be modified to fit around the smaller crankpin section of the Bachmann casting if necessary. I’m not suggesting this should be required, but it gives a potential plan B should disaster strike, & starting the job always feels easier knowing there are routes forward should it not all go to plan.

I've taken photos and am making notes on the body modifications and how it all comes apart and am wrapping it all up into the instructions.

Cheers,
Pete

mkfuzzhead

Postby mkfuzzhead » Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:51 pm

Thanks Pete.

Please keep us informed of the etching availability especially if available for the AGM as I can't make S4M this year.

Return to “Starting in P4”