My first p4 loco build mercian barclay diesel.

Help and advice for those starting in, or converting to P4 standards. A place to share modelling as a beginner in P4.
Simon Moore

My first p4 loco build mercian barclay diesel.

Postby Simon Moore » Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:30 pm

I've been slowly working on getting a chassis up & running in p4 using hornblocks & compensation. I've worked in Em for many years with rigid chassis as the norm.
Before mercian models packed in selling 4mm kits I purchased a kit for this diesel. The chassis was originally built in em but somehow I managed to make a right mess of it & it never got much further.
After a long period sat in the box I decided to try & resurrect it. I decided it's time to try & push myself more.
The chassis needed cleaning up & cut for hornblocks & then I had to wait for some supplies to turn up

The hornblocks took a bit of fettling to get them working smoothly but they work a treat now & simple to make work once you know how. I've used gibson frame spacers, high level hornblocks & a high level gearbox with a cordless motor & the gearbox was silent on test.

This morning I brought together everything to see if all the work had paid off, I quartered the wheels using a gw models press. I put the press in my vice which gives far better control when pressing the wheels on & you can get the wheels perfect without over tightening them.

So far so good, first assembly & everything is as smooth as silk with no binding at all. I'm very pleased so far.

20201107_122426.jpg

8657086391_b142ee078f_b.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Simon Moore on Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Horsetan

Re: My first p4 chassis build mercian barclay diesel.

Postby Horsetan » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:43 pm

Simon Moore wrote:....The chassis was originally built in em but somehow I managed to make a right mess of it ...

I really wouldn't worry about this. I've seen a man completely ruin the construction of a very expensive Irish loco kit; it was compellingly painful to watch on the Irish railway modelling forum as he set about making a wreck of it. £175 wasted.
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Simon Moore

Postby Simon Moore » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:03 pm

Jeeze that's some money down the pan.

Thankfully that's not been the case with my model & I photocopied the chassis just in case.

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:00 am

Simon Moore wrote:After a long period sat in the box I decided to try & resurrect it. I decided it's time to try & push myself more.

Good to see what can be done with a bit of time and effort. No reason why a nice model should not come.

Terry Bendall

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:07 pm

EDIT - Made a mistake - I'll try again when I've got it right!!

Right, I think I've got it right this time :? . I put a link to the wrong loco thread last time. It was a Bagnall - but a steam one!

I've possibly linked to this before but as it's the same kit - and acquired in a very similar state to Simon's - it could be relevant.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index ... l-shunter/

Simon Moore

Postby Simon Moore » Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:56 pm

Enigma wrote:EDIT - Made a mistake - I'll try again when I've got it right!!

Right, I think I've got it right this time :? . I put a link to the wrong loco thread last time. It was a Bagnall - but a steam one!

I've possibly linked to this before but as it's the same kit - and acquired in a very similar state to Simon's - it could be relevant.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index ... l-shunter/

Enigma I have been reading your post so I can get some ideas with my build. My aim now the basic chassis is built is to get the basic body built. I want to make it so the platform & body are separate items a bit like judith edge kits are designed. It will make painting a lot easier.

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:42 pm

Good idea. I've done that for years wherever possible, so much easier to paint and get a good clean finish.

Simon Moore

Postby Simon Moore » Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:41 pm

I made a start last night on the basic body & I'm not pleased with the components.

I've built a number of mercian kits both for myself & commission jobs. The 7km coal tank was so bad I scrapped half the kit & used my own parts, extra castings or a milled chassis because the kit was poor.
This kit isnt great. The body sides for the bonnet are so thin they will need some panels making to strengthen the sides. The bonnet top is way to big so I'm either going to make a new one or cut the old one down so it fits correctly.
As I finished in the workshop last night I wasnt sure whether to continue with it as im not a fan of working with rubbish.
I'm going to keep at it, if I can produce a p4 model from some scrap then a decent judith edge kit sat in the pile will be easy.

I'm hoping to get another go this evening on the body so I will add some photos of progress.

Daddyman

Postby Daddyman » Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:40 pm

Simon Moore wrote:I made a start last night on the basic body & I'm not pleased with the components.

I've built a number of mercian kits both for myself & commission jobs. The 7km coal tank was so bad I scrapped half the kit & used my own parts, extra castings or a milled chassis because the kit was poor.
This kit isnt great. The body sides for the bonnet are so thin they will need some panels making to strengthen the sides. The bonnet top is way to big so I'm either going to make a new one or cut the old one down so it fits correctly.
As I finished in the workshop last night I wasnt sure whether to continue with it as im not a fan of working with rubbish.
I'm going to keep at it, if I can produce a p4 model from some scrap then a decent judith edge kit sat in the pile will be easy.

I'm hoping to get another go this evening on the body so I will add some photos of progress.

Can't 5050 on RMWeb give you some work-arounds for these issues?

Simon Moore

Postby Simon Moore » Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:22 pm

I've a feeling the kit he made might have been the original wytchbury kit which might have had better brass.
Mercian kits are all very thin brass components the 7mm stuff is just as bad. Compared to other brands they are poor in my opinion.

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:19 pm

It was a Wychbury one and the bonnets etc. had already been assembled. However, things like the short bonnet were just a lump of whitemetal and the long bonnet was 'twisted'. Some of the etched parts had been filed to within a few microns of their life. It was one of the first kits the guy who gave it me had built when he was a young lad so I can't blame him really. He had at least managed to put it together and got it running! These days he builds some amazing scratchbuilt stuff so it was a very early part of his learning curve.

I think the design of the Wychbury version is different in some areas to the Mercian one. The long bonnet is (I think) a one piece top and sides with a cast front. This was already assembled on mine - but rather mishapen. It doesn't do to look at it to closely head on!

Simon Moore

Postby Simon Moore » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:50 pm

Your right David does make some superb scratch built models. He sometimes comes for a natter when we have the club open day.

So over the past few evenings I've had a couple of sessions on the kit. My suspicions were right about the bonnet being very flimsy, it was also extremely oversized & after a botched attempt was scrapped. I've built the top again but it's still horrible so having slept on it & thought it through I am going to spend sunday afternoon re building it completely.

The etched sides for the bonnet are so thin they have no integrity to hold straight & make this model hard to build. My plan is to take the bonnet apart, clean everything up & start a fresh.

My plans to make a complete new wrapper that will cover not just the top but the whole of the sides too, I've some thicker brass sheet in stock that should work nicely.

Once I have finished the wrapper & I am happy with it I'm going to solder the current detailed bonnet sides to the finished wrapper. I'm then going to add some brass strip across the top of the seam which will also become the mounting for the handrails.

Whilst it wont be perfectly to prototype, I'm hoping it'll be near enough to pull off a nicely finished model.
A friend of mine has made me some custom transfers for the cabsides so I have the text correct.

Itll be finished off with some weathering to hide the imperfections & give it a working look.

20201110_204821.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:04 pm

Looking fine. Theres one difference between the kits. The short bonnet from Wychbury is a one piece casting. Adds a nice bit of weight - but horribly cast and shaped with no surface detail. I had to add inspection panels etc. to the surface.

I take it you're a member of the club based on the big mill? I've been to open days a couple of times with Dave so perhaps we've met? Excellent grub BTW :thumb

Simon Moore

Postby Simon Moore » Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:59 pm

Yes I'm a member at keighley.

I'm part of the em group there we are currently building a new west riding steam layout it's rather large.
I'm always about so I am sure we have passed. Next time we have an open day if you come along say hello.

The etches on this kit give you all the surface detail. I'm just about to measure up the parts to build a new bonnet.

I will hopefully have an update to show soon

Simon Moore

Postby Simon Moore » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:41 pm

Since starting the build I have progressed the model on a first bit.

The bonnet of the model has caused some major issues but I'm happy with the results so far.

20201121_140852.jpg

20201121_140845.jpg

It's far from perfect but despite the issues it's starting to take shape & I am slowly getting a model from it.
A friend of mine made me the transfers for the loco so I need to get it finished off which is my plan for this weekend.
I've only a few components left to add to the model then it is ready for a coat of paint.

Once the body is into paint I'm going to turn back to the chassis so I can get that finished too. I've still parts to add & picks ups to fit but that's for next week.

Simon Moore

Postby Simon Moore » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:36 pm

This weekend has been a nice relaxation after what has been a very stressful week. My wife has been very understanding & had given me orders to stay in my workshop & relax.

Well with the orders given I was not arguing & I've got cracking again. Today's plan was to finish up on the bodywork & get the last bits fitted so I could start to paint the bodywork.

For once things have gone to plan. I've used a tamiya fine primer which I decided to try when I was in hobby craft. It's actually a really good primer & seems to stick better than the halfords etched primer.

I have it a few hours to dry off before a quick blast if halfords ford Inca yellow followed later by halfords land rover brooklands green. Usually I'm a bit more precise with paints but I just slapped these on with one coat because the weathering & fading will hide any errors or rough areas on the paint.

Tomorrow I will fit the transfers to the cab & brush paint the black work again not being to precise as the weathering will hide any bits I've missed. The weathering is going to have to wait a while whilst my friend makes the wasp stripe transfers.

20201122_155243.jpg

20201122_192434.jpg

20201122_192448.jpg

Once the basic colour is on I'm going to turn back to working on getting the chassis finished off which will be the next few weeks work.

Simon Moore

Re: My first p4 build mercian barclay diesel.

Postby Simon Moore » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:06 pm

I've got the platforms painted this evening & fitted the custom transfers & now I'm at a stop with the bodywork. I have given my friend some dimensions for the bufferbeam & bonnets so he can make me some wasp stripes but until they arrive I cannot progress the body any further.

20201123_191934.jpg

My aim now is to turn back to the chassis & get it finished painted & running. Once I've done this I can relax a little & look at the next model to make whilst waiting for the wasp stripes to arrive.

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Re: My first p4 loco build mercian barclay diesel.

Postby Paul Willis » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:38 pm

Very smart.

That primer seems to have gone on well. The sandy yellow would be a good basecoat for many colours.

Cheers
Paul
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Simon Moore

Postby Simon Moore » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:26 am

Cheers Paul

It's just a halfords rattle can. The tamiya primer I highly recommend. I usually use upol acid 8 galvanised etch primer but I ran out & this way in the cupboard so though I would try it.

Simon Moore

Postby Simon Moore » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:21 pm

This evening I've done the pick ups & give it a test. It's an absolute beauty of a runner straight off. I'm very pleased with my efforts so far. This little kit of parts that nearly went in the bin has turned into a serious project I'm very proud of.

Heres a little video

https://youtu.be/Z4nOj1ffG9I

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:47 pm

Nice little mover - very smooth. Congrats.

Mike

Simon Moore

Postby Simon Moore » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:37 pm

Thank you Mike

Simon Moore

Postby Simon Moore » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:46 pm

I've had good progress this weekend.

I've managed to get the chassis finished & painted. The transfers also turned up that I had made by a friend of mine.
I've started to get the transfers fitted one the front bonnet. I also found a jewel that fell off my wifes top which i thought would look great as a light rather than just a white painted on one.

It's starting to look the part now.

20201129_184358.jpg

20201129_184351.jpg

Simon Moore

Postby Simon Moore » Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:24 am

I sneaked in a few minutes whilst running the bath & got the tyres blackened & the rods painted.

IMG-20201129-WA0008.jpeg

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:42 pm

Looking good. Are you going to fit a cab interior? Those big windows allow a good view of the inside. I've got photos taken in the cab of the one at Foxfield I can send you.

Return to “Starting in P4”