West of Scotland Group's "Starters" Build a loco project 4

Help and advice for those starting in, or converting to P4 standards. A place to share modelling as a beginner in P4.
Allan Goodwillie

Re: West of Scotland Group's "Starters" Build a loco project 4

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:13 pm

Hi Keith, :)

My goodness yes - look at the brakes! I remember being a bit surprised to find that the class 47's on the Edinburgh and Glasgow push pulls, when they were going, required replacement brake blocks once a fortnight - traditional braking systems of course.

On to tonight's engine, one for the purists (I think not - any Caley enthusiasts look away now!) This engine was bought from BR by Wemyss when needing a replacement engine, they went to see other locos that might be useable. They decided on this loco and when it arrived painted it in a livery, similar to the Caley, :?: but not quite correct for the Caley - so the only blue engine on the line. It only lasted a few short years and was seldom allowed out on the main line as it proved problematic, having a long wheelbase compared to the other engines working the line. I intend using it as yard shunter at Scott's Road. One peculiarity is the buffer on the front left. Not only is it a different replacement, but of a foreign wagon type :o - when was this fitted I wonder.

DSC06537.JPG

DSC06538.JPG

DSC06539.JPG

Now for a look at the other side.
Allan :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Allan Goodwillie

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:26 pm

As we are looking at both sides it is easier just to turn the loco around and put it back on the layout - this time on the embankment.

DSC06540.JPG

DSC06541.JPG

DSC06542.JPG

DSC06543.JPG

So something different tonight a blue engine! :)

Allan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Allan Goodwillie

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:28 am

The J94's

Sorry there was no mid week posting this week - just too busy, mainly around the house I am afraid. :cry:

However this is the first of a number of J94s I ave either rebuilt for the new layout or built recently. This engine has been working for many years and was originally built for working on Dubbieside when back in my Melrose Museum days. It was originally constructed by my friend Jim Pugh who lived near me and we had become good friends during the 1970's. It is based on a NB Models white metal kit with a scratch built chassis and has always been a good runner. It was in green back in the 1980's, but I have had it in the red/chocolate of the Wemyss system in recent times and it was only given its transfers recently. The one weakness to the model is that the boiler has to come off to attend to the motor/gearbox which makes the footplate a bit flimsy when in this state of undress, so if there seems to be a slight bend in the said footplate that is because I should have corrected it before taking the photographs. The cab roof is also just laid on for the photograph as I have had it off to fit the cab interior and I can see a small gap in one of the photographs - this will of course be rectified after the engine's crew have been fitted. The brass injector is a bit bright and there are one or two corrections to be made to the paintwork as well as dummy valve gear to be fitted at a later date, works plates also needed - so still a work in progress.

DSC06552.JPG

The Wemyss company had a number of J94's some of which they bought to replace some of their Barclays - this number 16 replaced the original Barclay No.16 so it is unlikely that they may both be on the layout at the same time. I am hoping to progress the period at shows as well as the time of day.

DSC06551.JPG

There are one or two photographs of this engine in colour published which were useful when painting it.

DSC06550.JPG

And again to start on the other side..... :)

Allan Goodwillie

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:47 am

J94 No.16 part 2

On to the other side - you can see that I have corrected the roof line in the last of the three photographs taken on this side

DSC06554.JPG

DSC06555.JPG

DSC06557.JPG

As with the other engines there is still work to be done at this stage and we may look at correcting the faults here as part of the finishing process - so more to come yet on No.16. :)

Allan Goodwillie

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:58 am

Sorry no mid week post this week again as I have been preparing a poetry book for publication and it is taking up much of my time. :( however here is this weeks engine again with a few small things to add before weathering and bedding in. The engines have been photographed again on Don Rowland's old test track which I am in the process of repairing and restoring, but useful for taking the odd photograph as it can be set up in seconds and used.

This week's engine is (No surprise) one of the NCB J94's No.21 fitted with a Giesel chimney to keep No.10 company. They will probably take on the same duty on the layout - banker for the Michael colliery line. No.10 was only used occasionally when No. 21 was not available and spent most of its time at Methil, so No.21 will probably take on most of the work, but it will be good to ring the changes at exhibitions.

DSC06600.JPG

This is the oldest model reworked with a new chassis and motor - it started life as an Airfix plastic kit about 50 years ago and worked on Dubbieside from time to time. I have replaced the Portescap motor with a Maschima as I intend at a later phase to fit chips andthe other motor will eventually go into something else.

DSC06599.JPG

From this angle the engine looks quite imposing, as a model it has had a life already, but will do fine as part of the stud and has also saved some building time.

DSC06601.JPG

Again photos show up things less obvious when looking at the real model which is always about half the size - I can see some filling to do here and there and some adjustments to be made here and there this engine will require glass for the windows to be fitted as well, I took it out when repainting. :)

Allan Goodwillie

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:06 am

No. 21 Part 2
and here we are with the second part showing the other side.

DSC06602.JPG

DSC06603.JPG

DSC06604.JPG

Not much to be said about the engine really except that quite a lot of the lettering on the engines has had to be done using white lettering, however as with the other engines this will be tinted using a small brush and yellow acrylic paint thinned down. This will be done prior to weathering. This engine was seldom seen in a clean state and I may decide to weather it quite heavily. We shall see. :x

Sorry but that is all I have time for this week being a bit busy at the moment.

Allan Goodwillie

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:45 pm

Sunday evening again! :)

I still have one locomotive to post up on and that is NCB No. 19 which I suppose I should post up tonight, but am very busy with other things unfortunately, however I have prepared something perhaps more useful for anyone building a J94 out there a series of photographs of NCB No.19 as it is working today on the SRPS line. The photos were taken last year alongside a small, but modern Barclay in the engine yard.It is interesting the difference in colour between the two locomotives. I do have photographs taken a number of years ago of No.19 in a lined NCB livery, but have not been able to put my finger on them, I still would like to dig them out, I am sure that the shade of green was also different, but that may be due to the fact that the other photos are prints. If I find them before next week when the final engine goes up then I will also post them. I have built No.19 unlined. With No, 19 being used on the Bo'ness line it of course has vacuum brake and pipes - something it did not have when working at the MIchael pit when new in the early 1950's. It has another couple of features not common on the J94's one is the tool rack the other is the smoke box wing plate, which may have been on the loco from the beginning.

Here is the first set of useful photographs.

J94 Close-ups.pdf

Allan Goodwillie

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:59 pm

Now for the cab details for those who like to get it all right. I personally have not gone the whole hog as life is too short and I have had 9 backheads to do and other detail items, so have not put in all the detail available - I have a layout to finish and do other things in life.
Here are a couple of photographs to whet the appetite from the PDFs They include a couple of photographs of one of the smaller Barclays.

DSC05284.JPG

DSC05257.JPG

both photographs taken on a perfect sunny day.

Now for the Cab details of the J94s -

No.19 Cab details.pdf

Hope they are of use to some of you.

Allan Goodwillie

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:06 am

Just one or two photos of number 19 this weekend as I am still doing some work on it and the body, underframe, cab are not screwed down yet and I have taken the brake blocks off since this to do some further work on them, but just to complete the picture of where i am at at this stage. One rather annoying thing at the moment with the loco was that I managed to strip a gear in the process of working on the engine. Something which is most annoying,however I hope to get some replacement parts and have it up working again soon. Poor engine - but these things can happen,normally when we are in far too much of a hurry - as was this case. I was trying to get a new book ready for publication and time was evaporating this week! :(

DSC06284.JPG

DSC06286.JPG

DSC06291.JPG

As you can see from the photographs the engine needs bolting together, particularly noticeable form the right hand side. The engine however will probably be left in this state for a month or two as I am moving on to do quite a lot of illustrations for another book and to finish the text for another - so not much modelling time over the summer. If I can find time to do the repairs to the gearbox and to finish some of the details on the engines that will probably be all I can expect during this time.

Return to “Starting in P4”