Masokits sprung wagon units

Help and advice for those starting in, or converting to P4 standards. A place to share modelling as a beginner in P4.
bordercollie

Masokits sprung wagon units

Postby bordercollie » Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:30 am

Hi
This is a follow up to my post on rigid v non-rigid wagons. I am how leaning towards springing.

Who produces spring units other than Masokits and more particularly the GWR DCIII variety?

It is clear from Masokit product list no 19 2017 that he regards overseas purchasers as a bit of a pain. With this in mind and not wanting to upset him I would like to clarify a couple of things before making an order. I can't find an e-mail address:

I have articles from MJR 72 and 168. The units seem to be be different in both articles. Is one an update of the former and
are both available as of 2019 or is the deleted item 5.01 the one seen in MRJ 72. I will be using them on Parkside Dundas GWR 011/015 kits. It seems that the 9' 0" GWR Dean Churchward cross-cornered Brakes fits the bill.

Can the offset V be made from this item. If not, would be hard to modify?

Thanks

Le Corbusier

Re: Masokits sprung wagon units

Postby Le Corbusier » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:59 am

Tim Lee

CornCrake

Postby CornCrake » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:25 am

Hi, you might be interested to read about 3 different solutions by following this link to the Scalefour Downloads page :-
https://www.scalefour.org/resources/downloads
Craig Welsh 9' wooden underframe
Exactoscale wagon underframe
Morgan Design wagon & underframe kits (78 pages of interest)

I believe that these are all currently available from Scalefour stores

Happy reading, Steve

CornCrake

Postby CornCrake » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:30 am

PS

In particular if you download the Morgan Design pdf, check out pages 46 to 48 that contains a cross reference list of wagon kits to underfame kis , in particular Parkside.

Steve

Dave K

Postby Dave K » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:29 am

bordercollie wrote:I have articles from MJR 72 and 168. The units seem to be be different in both articles. Is one an update of the former and
are both available as of 2019 or is the deleted item 5.01 the one seen in MRJ 72. I will be using them on Parkside Dundas GWR 011/015 kits. It seems that the 9' 0" GWR Dean Churchward cross-cornered Brakes fits the bill.

Can the offset V be made from this item. If not, would be hard to modify?

The deleted item 5.01 was an underframe kit for the Parkside Bloater kit.

The Parkside O11/15 kit's solebars has, as far as I can see, a centre positioned 'V' and therefore are correct for the O11 ( non-vacuum) wagon and therefore the Masokits underframe in MRJ 168 (6.08 in the latest catalogue) or a Morgan Design DC3 underframe etch. If you want a vacuum fitted wagon with the off centre brakes then your best bet is a Morgan Design kit available from the society stores. In either case I would use the Morgan Design solebar etch.

Dave

p.s. There is an article about building a O15 by Trevor Potts in MRJ 202.

Noel

Postby Noel » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:06 pm

According to Atkins et al [first edition, anyway; I don't know if the third edition changes this at all], O15 [which is the earlier] and O11 were both built after the change to cross-corner DCIII for most ordinary goods wagons in 1906. The drawing of O15 shows an offset V-hanger, and the notes go on to identify O11 as the same but non-vacuum, plus O18 as O11 with minor variations, not acknowledging brake changes until O20. Curiously, though, the vacuum cylinder is shown in the position expected for one fitted to a vehicle with a central V-hanger, with an over-long actuating lever, suggesting to me that the accuracy of the drawing is suspect.

Dave K wrote:p.s. There is an article about building a O15 by Trevor Potts in MRJ 202.

He uses the Parkside kit, which does have a central V-hanger, and the article includes a prototype photograph of O15 15068 so fitted [the white stripe is off-centre because of the bracket under the door, not the V-hanger], which he suggests is an early example of the type. I don't know - the third edition identifies running numbers by Lot, but the first doesn't.

I would therefor question whether any of O11 and O15 had offset V-hangers. If early ones of O15 did, O11 was built 1911 to 1919 and O15 1909 to 1922, so later lots at least would presumably have had standard DCIII fittings from new.
Regards
Noel

bobwallison

Postby bobwallison » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:25 pm

Dave Bradwell produces etched bearing holders which allow fairly easy conversion of wagon kits to springing. You use the axleguards/boxes provided in the kit. http://traders.scalefour.org/DaveBradwe ... ng-plates/
They come with the usual highly informative instructions/suggestions.

Regards,
Bob

Return to “Starting in P4”