West of Scotland Group's "Starters" Build a loco project

Help and advice for those starting in, or converting to P4 standards. A place to share modelling as a beginner in P4.
jayell

Re: West of Scotland Group's "Starters" Build a loco project

Postby jayell » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:07 pm

grovenor-2685 wrote:I am rather puzzled by John's jig as I don't see anything to hold the axle in place while setting it, Alan's original has 3 plates with 90 degree corners, the inner two used to hold the axle in a defined position. As i see it the two inner plates must have the 90 degree corners, although they would not need to be full height, just enough to hold the axle in place while the outer one has to allow for the maximum crank throw.
Regards
Keith

Thanks for the comment Keith, I wasn't aware that the other two upstands were needed, not having ever used a quartering tool. I can easily rivet a couple of bits of copper in place to provide the required guides.

I can also modify the way the plates are fixed together so the spacing between two of them on one side is variable.

John

Allan Goodwillie

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:48 pm

It has been suggested that I should produce an index for this thread as it is so heavily used, but I do know that the search box does a pretty good job at the top of the page - I would be happy to do this, but it may take some time and it would be probably be in the New Year before I could find time as I have a layout to build before February 2018 and hoping to cover the build on the forum. :|

Allan Goodwillie

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:16 am

Having been asked recently about when the index might be forthcoming I have to admit that I cannot find enough time to do this properly, however I have been offered some help to get some form of index or headings done, a full index it is a fairly major task although it could be done as "chapters" covering each part of the thread. I do know from conversations at exhibitions that some people have downloaded the whole thing and I was wondering if anyone had already made an index or even made a list of Chapter headings and content within already and might be willing to help here. Suggestions anyone? I will post this on the other threads as well it will only need a response from one of the three loco building threads.

Allan :)

Return to “Starting in P4”