P4 wagon Compensation(springing)

Help and advice for those starting in, or converting to P4 standards. A place to share modelling as a beginner in P4.
User avatar
David Thorpe
Posts: 811
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:13 pm

Re: P4 wagon Compensation(springing)

Postby David Thorpe » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:55 am

davebradwell wrote:I thought there might be some interest in an easier way for beginners like Beakie who seemed to be troubled by the variables but all we're hearing is more problems.


But of course - this is a P4 forum!

DT
Last edited by David Thorpe on Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Will L
Posts: 1641
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:54 pm

Re: P4 wagon Compensation(springing)

Postby Will L » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:01 am

davebradwell wrote:I'm not interested in the variables -


And I found them unavoidable, for reasons Bill just pointed out, and as Russ explains in his article to which I linked.

The fact is that anybody who starts putting assorted wagon kits together is likely to find that wheel axle/barring fit between W irons is inconsistent, and they are likely to think its their problem and not that is inherent in the kit/axle/bearing combination.. So I think it's a good thing that they understand why it happens, and what to do to work round it. So explaining what the variable are should help. The real engineers among us may well be able to measure their way out of this and find that the easiest way to do it, but, for the kitchen table modeller, knowing you can adjust the bearing/axle length to fit the wagon is a good workable solution.

Of course all this only really matters on a sprung wagon whch needs vertical W irons to function properly. Any rigid or compensated wagon can live with the W irons flexed away from the vertical.

davebradwell
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:48 pm

Re: P4 wagon Compensation(springing)

Postby davebradwell » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:15 pm

Gordon Bennett! As there appears to be a stone wall preventing resolution of the bearing/axleguard compatibility issues, I'll go back to my main point which was to use the plastic axleguards, slotted, in order to save a lot of work replacing them and adding castings. What's wrong with that then?

DaveB

User avatar
David Thorpe
Posts: 811
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:13 pm

Re: P4 wagon Compensation(springing)

Postby David Thorpe » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:48 pm

davebradwell wrote:Gordon Bennett! As there appears to be a stone wall preventing resolution of the bearing/axleguard compatibility issues, I'll go back to my main point which was to use the plastic axleguards, slotted, in order to save a lot of work replacing them and adding castings. What's wrong with that then?


Absolutely nothing - it's what I do.

DT

User avatar
Noel
Posts: 1096
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:04 pm

Re: P4 wagon Compensation(springing)

Postby Noel » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:32 pm

Will L wrote: Any rigid or compensated wagon can live with the W irons flexed away from the vertical.


As someone who has quite a lot of both, I wouldn't recommend it. It's likely to result in a vehicle which won't run properly. In uncompensated axles it can result in wheelsets which won't rotate, or which have no sideplay, and thus, if both axles are so afflicted, no tolerance at all for minor irregularities in the track.
Regards
Noel

User avatar
Will L
Posts: 1641
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:54 pm

Re: P4 wagon Compensation(springing)

Postby Will L » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:14 pm

Noel wrote:
Will L wrote: Any rigid or compensated wagon can live with the W irons flexed away from the vertical.


As someone who has quite a lot of both, I wouldn't recommend it. It's likely to result in a vehicle which won't run properly. In uncompensated axles it can result in wheelsets which won't rotate, or which have no sideplay, and thus, if both axles are so afflicted, no tolerance at all for minor irregularities in the track.


Agreed if you take it to extremes, but it isn't as critical as it is with a sprung system. I didn't want to over complicate my answer.

User avatar
Will L
Posts: 1641
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:54 pm

Re: P4 wagon Compensation(springing)

Postby Will L » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:17 pm

David Thorpe wrote:
davebradwell wrote:Gordon Bennett! As there appears to be a stone wall preventing resolution of the bearing/axleguard compatibility issues, I'll go back to my main point which was to use the plastic axleguards, slotted, in order to save a lot of work replacing them and adding castings. What's wrong with that then?


Absolutely nothing - it's what I do.

Agreed


Return to “Starting in P4”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests