P4 wagon Compensation(springing)

Help and advice for those starting in, or converting to P4 standards. A place to share modelling as a beginner in P4.
Noel

Re: P4 wagon Compensation(springing)

Postby Noel » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:32 pm

Will L wrote: Any rigid or compensated wagon can live with the W irons flexed away from the vertical.

As someone who has quite a lot of both, I wouldn't recommend it. It's likely to result in a vehicle which won't run properly. In uncompensated axles it can result in wheelsets which won't rotate, or which have no sideplay, and thus, if both axles are so afflicted, no tolerance at all for minor irregularities in the track.
Regards
Noel

Will L

Postby Will L » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:14 pm

Noel wrote:
Will L wrote: Any rigid or compensated wagon can live with the W irons flexed away from the vertical.

As someone who has quite a lot of both, I wouldn't recommend it. It's likely to result in a vehicle which won't run properly. In uncompensated axles it can result in wheelsets which won't rotate, or which have no sideplay, and thus, if both axles are so afflicted, no tolerance at all for minor irregularities in the track.

Agreed if you take it to extremes, but it isn't as critical as it is with a sprung system. I didn't want to over complicate my answer.

Will L

Postby Will L » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:17 pm

David Thorpe wrote:
davebradwell wrote:Gordon Bennett! As there appears to be a stone wall preventing resolution of the bearing/axleguard compatibility issues, I'll go back to my main point which was to use the plastic axleguards, slotted, in order to save a lot of work replacing them and adding castings. What's wrong with that then?

Absolutely nothing - it's what I do.

Agreed

Return to “Starting in P4”