Re-wheeling Hornby Schools Class

Help and advice for those starting in, or converting to P4 standards. A place to share modelling as a beginner in P4.
glynrb

Re-wheeling Hornby Schools Class

Postby glynrb » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:14 pm

Has anyone tried re-wheeling the Hornby Schools class RTR loco? It looks as though it shouldn't be too difficult, but I'm worried about clearances around the cylinders.

Many thanks

Philip Hall

Re: Re-wheeling Hornby Schools Class

Postby Philip Hall » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:09 pm

Yes, I've done two now, one in P4 and the other EM, with four more in P4 to do sometime. There are no clearance problems with the cylinders, as the driving wheels are miles away. I have had the P4 one going around an A6, but A5 was a no-go. Generally 3'6" radius would not be a problem. The big problem with clearances, in both gauges, is inside the splashers. These are cast as part of the boiler casting, and there is plenty of room to hack out the necessary clearance (about 23mm overall), but it is a horrible job to grind out the diecasting and the stuff gets everywhere. This includes right up inside the underneath of the cab.

On the P4 one I widened the front bogie, but not the frames, as there is a lot of nice detail around the firebox area and by moving the sandboxes between the wheels out a bit the eye is drawn away from the gap between the wheels and the frames. I did not put on bogie splashers, as they would be quite fiddly, but I might have a go on my own one. Might.

Wheels were Ultrascale with 3mm axles, and with the chassis I have one word of warning. Check that the coupling rods actually match the frames, as on the two I have done so far there was a discrepancy on one side. This can easily be done with some 3mm jig axles, but you might have to make these yourself. This is the first Hornby engine I have ever had with this problem, and it may not apply to all production. Mine were fairly early examples. On the tender I removed the middle pickups and cut a little upward play into the axle slot for the middle wheels, which will then quite happily sit on the rails under their own weight.

It's worth doing, it looks very good and runs like a dream. I haven't tested haulage capacity yet, but three of the next four will be needed to pull ten carriages or so, so I might have to look at hanging the tender on the back of the engine, which probably won't be too difficult. As it comes it's a little bit nose heavy, but not badly. A couple of pictures added now in the next post.

Philip
Last edited by Philip Hall on Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:58 am

Here goes with a couple of pictures. I have since added the linkage that runs from the underside of the cylinders to just aft of the rear bogie. I have also found that height of engine varied between the two examples I had, although the chassis on the one featured here was a much tighter fit in the body than the EM one, and it wasn't easy to find out how to ease the fit. The weathering appears more subtle than it does in the photographs, and Hornby also have the cabside lining on this early model wrong - it should be nearer the edge of the cab sides.

Her new owner is going to add couplings and I believe they are to be AJ. The Hornby tender coupling is used on its closer setting and this is just adequate for the curves required.

Philip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

glynrb

Postby glynrb » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:34 am

Hi Philip, Thank you so much for this - I'm still ramping up my finescale skills, and your response has given me the confidence to go ahead and order the wheels. When I've done the job I'll post the result. Thanks again

Glyn

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:33 pm

Glyn, you're welcome. Will look forward to seeing the result. Any problems, you know where we all are.

Philip

Return to “Starting in P4”