Hornby CDA

Help and advice for those starting in, or converting to P4 standards. A place to share modelling as a beginner in P4.
bigdaveadams1

Hornby CDA

Postby bigdaveadams1 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:31 pm

Hello all, I'm new to P4. I'm waiting for my ultrascale wheels to arrive for my 37s. In the meantime, I'm wondering which wheels I need to drop in to the Hornby CDA wagon? HAs anyone converted any of these before? Cheers for any info.

James Wells

Re: Hornby CDA

Postby James Wells » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:50 pm

IIRC it's quite a tight fit between the axle gaurds - I think Jim S-W used Exactoscale wheels on some HAAs.

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:14 pm

Nope but Phil did. They didn't work so they were binned for maygibs (14mm with Colin craig brake disks on alternate wheels). I actually think the older hornby HAA (and CDA) are a better starting point and easier to convert.
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

James Wells

Postby James Wells » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:07 pm

It's quite easy to fit Bill Bedford w-irons to the older model which improves them no end!

Was it the wheels themselves which were problematic, or the application of them? I was wondering (meant to ask you in fact until you said it was Phil who'd used them) about Exactoscale wheels for my fleet of BDAs as Gibson and BB wheels are a ridiculously tight fit.

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:22 pm

Hi James

The problem was with the wheels as I understand.

Cheers

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

bigdaveadams1

Postby bigdaveadams1 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:30 pm

Cheers gents. So I'm after some maygibs for the CDAs then. I'll get on with ordering them ASAP!

Andrew Ullyott

Postby Andrew Ullyott » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:16 pm

I managed to fit some of the Branchlines nickel silver wheels in my CDA's on Wheal Elizabeth. They're not cheap but the are very good.
The w irons need thinning down a lot but as you can get a lot of lead in the body, there's no need to spring or compensate. Worked for me anyway.

bigdaveadams1

Postby bigdaveadams1 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:48 pm

Right so I've got to order some 14mm Alan Gibson wheels and some non riveted Colin Criag brake discs. Well wish me luck.....

James Wells

Postby James Wells » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:51 pm

If you get stuck, just stop at Gilberdyke next time you're passing - I'm sure Control will understand! ;)

bigdaveadams1

Postby bigdaveadams1 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:54 am

I'm off to Toton all week! Maybe I could make a detour via Gilberdyke...

I think I'll pick my wheels up at York show and give it a go over the easter weekend.

bigdaveadams1

Postby bigdaveadams1 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:58 am

Andrew Ullyott wrote:I managed to fit some of the Branchlines nickel silver wheels in my CDA's on Wheal Elizabeth. They're not cheap but the are very good.
The w irons need thinning down a lot but as you can get a lot of lead in the body, there's no need to spring or compensate. Worked for me anyway.

Hi Andrew, how much weight did you put into the body? I know there's a big debate about how much weight is right. But if they work for you without springing or compo, then you're onto a winner!

Andrew Ullyott

Postby Andrew Ullyott » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:12 am

I've just weighed all 3 CDAs and the scales tell me an average of 86g each. I don't know what an 'empty' wagon weighs.
I used liquid lead fixed with cheap superglue. From memory the hoppers were around half full.
Hope this helps.

P.s. I used the MJT etched brake disc inlays for the wheels.
HTH
Andrew

mickeym

Postby mickeym » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:19 pm

A "box fresh" CDA weighs 60g according to my kitchen scales.

waveydavey

Postby waveydavey » Fri May 13, 2016 12:54 pm

The current sale at Hattons has persuaded me to buy one of the 'new' Hornby HAAs, which I imagine are the same underneath as the CDA. Mine will be backdated to an original bodied HOP32 AB so quite a bit of work involved. Hopefully a suitable wheel swap will do the job but I have a feeling I'm going to end up doing a lot of digging out to get some Bill Bedfords in.

Cheers

David
Modelling Clackmannanshire Railways in 1975

Return to “Starting in P4”