Converting to P4? Wanna do a swap?

Help and advice for those starting in, or converting to P4 standards. A place to share modelling as a beginner in P4.
Ian Everett

Converting to P4? Wanna do a swap?

Postby Ian Everett » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:44 pm

I am beginning to suffer the effects of Glaucoma, which is seriously affecting my ability to see fine detail, so it seems daft for me to be straining to model in fine scale when I cannot see the benefits of it.

I am therefore reluctantly considering changing Clecklewyke and the embryonic Bradford North Western Branch from P4 to OO scale but am worried about the expense of doing so.

So I am wondering if there is anyone considering moving in the opposite direction, who is needing to convert rolling stock and track from OO to P4. If so would you like to swap your redundant OO wheels and track for P4 equivalents?

I have some 16 coaches, 20 wagons and 20 turnoutts to convert.

If you can help, please pm or email me.

Thanks,

Ian

Tim V

Re: Converting to P4? Wanna do a swap?

Postby Tim V » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:38 pm

Sorry to hear that Ian.

Are you sure it's a strain? I'm sure the other benefits of better/smoother running from adopting compensation/springing will still be visible?
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Ian Everett

Postby Ian Everett » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:13 pm

Hi, Tim

Yes, trains will run better with springing or compensation and accurate gauges, levels and clearances. But doing all this is now becoming increasingly difficult, both in making to these standards and maintaining such accuracy over time. Even making track to P4 standards is now almost beyond me - it takes much longer than it did and is not as good as it was. OO will, I think, be more forgiving of my increasing lack of accuracy and I'll be able to buy turnouts ready-made! It should also allow me more time to play trains and to make a realistic backdrop for them;

As I said, I am very reluctant to-take such a decision but I am going to have to do something - before it's too late. I have nearly lost complete sight in the right eye over the last two years and who knows how long the left will last? I am not alone in considering such a change. Jim Harrison sold Hull Town Docks and has moved to OO, not because he wanted to but because he had to.

Incidentally, this problem is one of the main factors in my decision to stop exhibiting Clecklewyke.

Of course, what I need is a tame Norman Solomon next door and a bottomless wallet. ;)

"What a drag it is getting old." :(

Ian

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:08 am

I'm really sorry to read about your problems.
Truly sad to know what you are going though. :-/

If you do have to go back to 00 I have quite a big bag of 00 wheelsets, mostly wagon wheels of various types if you want to sort sometype of swap by all means PM me.

Mind you I understand you are thinking of newer n00bs than me, if so they can take priority by all means, but if not I can sort your wagon wheels out as the bag I have is pretty big with probably enough for 40 wagons or more as a guess.

How about going 0 gauge or Scale7? Much bigger for easier visuals.

:)

EDIT: Having trouble finding my wagon wheel bag. :-/
Last edited by Knuckles on Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“He who dares not offend cannot be honest.” Thomas Paine

https://www.sparkshotcustomcreations.com/
Mostly 3D Printed Loco kits etc.

SCC Price list (7/4/22)
https://www.sparkshotcustomcreations.co ... e77d42.pdf

Re6/6

Postby Re6/6 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:59 am

Knuckles wrote: How about going 0 gauge or Scale7? Much bigger for easier visuals. :)

Very sorry to hear that Ian. Indeed 7mm could be worth considering. I have a good friend who has serious sight problems and he has successfully modelled in 7mm FS for a few years now.

Wishing you well

John
John

dal-t

Postby dal-t » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:32 am

I 'started' modelling 7mm 20 years ago in anticipation of just such a problem. What I'd overlooked - while my (always short-)sight remained reasonable - was the 'scale detail effect'. A door clasp, for instance, which looks fine in 4mm so long as it's a blob of roughly the right shape, needs the locking pin, separation of handle from background, and maybe even the shiny bit where it has been regularly grasped by porters' hands, to look as good in the larger scale. I have the same problem with the aircraft I model - I always thought I would migrate from 1/72 to 1/48 or even 1/32 when the smaller things got too 'fiddly', but then I discovered it takes as long to build a 1/48 cockpit as it does to build half a squadron of 1/72 machines, because of the extra switches, handles, dials, etc you have to put in.

However, if keeping things running is the big issue, 7mmFS works 'fine', with the added benefit that you need far less stock for realistic scenes. My 74XX, with less than a dozen Slaters and Parkside wagons, convincingly populated my garden test track in the UK, and the Peco O gauge 'plonk and play' track I used worked just as reliably as their OO Streamline, with far less of a narrow gauge look (and the ability to adjust check rails to suit your BTB). And if you think far too much space will be needed, study of the Gauge O Guild's 'Small Layouts' booklets shows just what can be achieved, in footprints we would find challenging for P4. Certainly worth consideration, IMHO.
David L-T

Ian Everett

Postby Ian Everett » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:11 am

Many thanks for all your kind words and thoughts, including those off-line.

Yes, I'd thought of 7mm but I'm a very slow worker and like building scenery and buildings and operation to timetable, so the bulk of what I need I've already made. I'm also a terrible hoarder - can't throw anything away - so I'd prefer to convert what I have rather than start anew. I've already got all the buildings I will need except for the signal box and overall roof for Bradford NW and I think I could go OO in six months or so with a bit of help from my friends and a relatively small outlay.

I've agonised long and hard over this - being part of Scaleforum and S4 North has been an important part of my life for many years - but I am surprised at how relieved and liberated I feel by having made this decision (well nearly made it - I'm at the edge of the cliff but I haven't jumped yet.)

Ian

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:51 pm

Ian,

why OO rather than EM. Unless you plan to use Peco or other ready made trackwork, the effort involved would surely be about the same.

All the best,

Jol

Return to “Starting in P4”