Track Jigs

Help and advice for those starting in, or converting to P4 standards. A place to share modelling as a beginner in P4.
David B

Re: Track Jigs

Postby David B » Sat May 09, 2015 3:17 pm

Martin Wynne wrote:For running on a Mac, try Codeweavers Crossover, or Winebottler (free). Lots of users run Templot that way, and none have reported needing to install Templot every time.

Absolutely right, Martin. Crossover was free a while ago; I don't know if this offer is repeated at intervals. I have only two Windows programmes - Templot and a music notation programme - I run occasionally on my Mac and Crossover works very well.

Guy Rixon

Postby Guy Rixon » Sat May 09, 2015 7:31 pm

I run Templot in a Windows virtual-machine and the VM runs in VirtualBox which in turn runs on my Mac. Since I don't need the VM to access the internet, I can isolate it and hence don't have to update Windows very often; hence no compatibility problems.

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Sat May 09, 2015 8:35 pm

Guy Rixon wrote:I run Templot in a Windows virtual-machine and the VM runs in VirtualBox which in turn runs on my Mac. Since I don't need the VM to access the internet, I can isolate it and hence don't have to update Windows very often; hence no compatibility problems.

Last time I ran templot, it needs an internet connection to start correctly. Has that changed?

Martin Wynne

Postby Martin Wynne » Sat May 09, 2015 8:43 pm

John McAleely wrote:Last time I ran Templot, it needs an internet connection to start correctly. Has that changed?

Hi John,

No, for Templot2 it hasn't changed. Guy may have an older paid-for version, available from 1998-2011.

regards,

Martin.
40+ years developing Templot. Enjoy using Templot? Join Templot Club. Be a Templot supporter.

Guy Rixon

Postby Guy Rixon » Sun May 10, 2015 9:39 am

Hmm. Mine is a fairly recent download. Possibly the VM is not as isolated as it claims to be. I shall check.

Winander

Postby Winander » Mon May 11, 2015 11:39 am

I've been running Templot using Wine with OSX Mavericks and Yosemite with no problems. Accessing the 'Windows' files is a bit of a faff and when an update is released, it's not as easy as it would be with Windows, but not that difficult either.

The issue for me in using a virtual machine (like VirtualBox) is that a licensed copy of Windows is required.
Richard Hodgson
Organiser Scalefour Virtual Group. Our meeting invitation is here.

Martin Wynne

Postby Martin Wynne » Tue May 12, 2015 9:08 am

David B wrote:Crossover was free a while ago; I don't know if this offer is repeated at intervals.

There's an offer on today for 24 hours (CDT time, UK minus 6 hours). Not free, but a useful saving:

https://www.codeweavers.com/campaign/bd ... gn=6246373

Codeweavers Crossover is an inexpensive supported installer for Wine on Mac computers. Templot runs quite well under Wine and doesn't need a copy of Windows. Lots of users are running Templot on a Mac that way.

A free alternative is Winebottler: http://winebottler.kronenberg.org

Martin.
40+ years developing Templot. Enjoy using Templot? Join Templot Club. Be a Templot supporter.

Return to “Starting in P4”