About to order some bits - could use a little advice

Help and advice for those starting in, or converting to P4 standards. A place to share modelling as a beginner in P4.
garethashenden

Re: About to order some bits - could use a little advice

Postby garethashenden » Tue May 05, 2015 3:13 pm

One novice helping another :shock: but I have built an EM layout and the techniques are the same.

You want butatone for attaching the chairs. Apply it with a small paintbrush that you will use for only that.
I like the Exactoscale chairs more, the tooling is newer and the detail sharper.
I believe that brass chairs can be used near board joints or on copperclad, but I've not used them.

As for gauges, I'm planning on getting some from Scalefour Stores rather than C&L. I don't really like the look of their gauges, I think a three point gauge would be a better idea.
#190 triangular gauge, #192 flangeway gauge, #193 checkrail gauge should get you started although you should get #290 back to back gauge as well. The triangular gauges are nice because they do the gauge widening automatically without you having to think about it too much.

Alan Turner

Postby Alan Turner » Tue May 05, 2015 3:24 pm

A few suggestions:

don't bother with turnout kits - too expensive just buy the components.

suggest plywood sleepers - no more/no less difficult than plastic and look better. You need 12" timbers and depending on your prototype you may also need 14".

Solvent that you know is good for ABS - EMA Plastic Weld works.

Think about foam rather than cork

most important gauge is the check gauge - learn how to use that one properly.

Get a copy of Templot and print out your own templates or down load some templates from the S4 site. At least join the Templot Forum.

regards

Alan

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Tue May 05, 2015 3:27 pm

Glue - you need a solvent in a bottle -such as Daywat poly. The plastic is a form of ABS, so your Revell glue would be no good.

Fishplates are not used to conduct electricity, unless you want big problems. All rails are bonded together using wire from underneath.

Not much between the chair makes, but I think from memory they were differently shaped - check this out, you might want to use one on the main, the other in sidings.

You only need the 18.83, the others are for sharper curves.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Will L

Postby Will L » Tue May 05, 2015 5:45 pm

Alan Turner wrote:Think about foam rather than cork...

..then remember that while foam has worked for some people, others have come unstuck. The only way that cork ever lets anybody down is that the layout may be a bit noisy.

FCA

Postby FCA » Tue May 05, 2015 7:28 pm

Glue/solvent - make sure you apply some weight to the chair/sleeper joint when bonding the two.

RedDragon

Postby RedDragon » Tue May 05, 2015 7:55 pm

If you are not buying point kits it would probably be worth considering buying the common crossings from C&L, unless you are confident in filing rail accurately along with your soldering skills.

Alan Turner

Postby Alan Turner » Tue May 05, 2015 8:07 pm

RedDragon wrote:If you are not buying point kits it would probably be worth considering buying the common crossings from C&L, unless you are confident in filing rail accurately along with your soldering skills.

The sooner you learn how to file up a crossing nose the better so you might as well start doing it now.

regards

Alan

RobM

Postby RobM » Wed May 06, 2015 5:56 am

Although suggested before in another post come along to the Nottingham Area Group, only 20 miles from you just off Junction 25 M1. You will get loads of practical advice and help. I learnt so much from our track building experts Tony Wilkins and Howard Bolton. :thumb
Rob (Taking off my Ken Kirk's hat)

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Wed May 06, 2015 11:31 am

Alan Turner wrote:don't bother with turnout kits - too expensive just buy the components.

Yes they are, but they work first time every time. However building your own is a valuable skill to learn.

Will L wrote:..then remember that while foam has worked for some people, others have come unstuck. The only way that cork ever lets anybody down is that the layout may be a bit noisy.

Yes it is and for my money cork is one of the tied and tested methods that always works.

RobM wrote:Although suggested before in another post come along to the Nottingham Area Group

For those who are near to one, joining an area group is an ideal way of learning the skills.

Terry Bendall

Guy Rixon

Postby Guy Rixon » Wed May 06, 2015 2:06 pm

Alan Turner wrote:A few suggestions:

don't bother with turnout kits - too expensive just buy the components.

Alan

Possibly buy just one as a beginner's exercise? Do they still include the gauges?

Winander

Postby Winander » Wed May 06, 2015 2:25 pm

garethashenden wrote:One novice helping another :shock: but I have built an EM layout and the techniques are the same.

like the Exactoscale chairs more, the tooling is newer and the detail sharper.

Another novice helping...

I would second the fact that Exactoscale chairs are preferable. Some of the C&L ones I got had flashing bridging the gap where the rail web fits.

I only bought one triangular track gauge at first and quickly found having two made things easier.

I tried to buy a back to back gauge at Scalefour North, and they had no stock. Don't know if that was just at the show or generally, so may be wise to check first if you decide to get one, although not needed for track building.

Have you decided on steel or nickel silver rail?

Bon chance!
Richard Hodgson
Organiser Scalefour Virtual Group. Our meeting invitation is here.

RobM

Postby RobM » Wed May 06, 2015 3:48 pm

MikeH wrote:Thanks Rob, I will do that and hopefully pop along to your next meeting if that's ok?

Next meeting is 14th May, you'll be made most welcome although Ken and myself will not be there.
Rob

ken kirk

Postby ken kirk » Wed May 06, 2015 7:19 pm

Hi Mike,
Regarding your bits (!)

Your next opportunity to see the goodies available to members is on Sat 20th June when NAG hosts the AGM in Derby,The Stores will be delighted to help you part with your dosh.

Details will be published in the Scalefour News shortly.
Eileen's will also be there for your tools and bits.
Regards,
Ken

Return to “Starting in P4”