Templot sleeper spacing on pointwork

Help and advice for those starting in, or converting to P4 standards. A place to share modelling as a beginner in P4.
John Palmer

Re: Templot sleeper spacing on pointwork

Postby John Palmer » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:58 am

Your running line track centre spacings look fine, but consider increasing the spacing between running lines and sidings. I think the minimum offset for a siding relative to a running line should be ten feet between outer faces of adjacent rails - equivalent to about fifteen feet centre lines.

For turnout timbering a useful reference is the drawings in the North Eastern Railway Association's publication 'Standard Railway Equipment - Permanent Way, 1926', showing LNER practice. Somewhere I have a drawing which I believe originated in this and shows crossover timbering arrangements for a range of crossing angles between 1 : 4 and 1 : 7. This helps in showing how shorter timbers were interleaved to provide adequate support for the rails, and minimises/eliminates the use of the really long timbers that span two tracks. I've been taken to task before for excessive use of such long timbers, which was avoided so far as possible on the full size railway.

Might be worth considering whether to lengthen the lead on your turnouts using longer switches and higher crossing angle values - those B6 turnouts are taking you down to a 45.6" minimum radius.

Winander

Postby Winander » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:19 pm

This post from the Templot forum may help with timbering turnouts, http://85a.co.uk/forum/view_topic.php?i ... forum_id=6.

p.s. someone may be along shortly to advise you that it is timbers on turnouts and sleepers on plain track :)
Richard Hodgson
Organiser Scalefour Virtual Group. Our meeting invitation is here.

billbedford

Postby billbedford » Fri May 01, 2015 8:04 am

John Palmer wrote:For turnout timbering a useful reference is the drawings in the North Eastern Railway Association's publication 'Standard Railway Equipment - Permanent Way, 1926', showing LNER practice. Somewhere I have a drawing which I believe originated in this and shows crossover timbering arrangements for a range of crossing angles between 1 : 4 and 1 : 7. This helps in showing how shorter timbers were interleaved to provide adequate support for the rails, and minimises/eliminates the use of the really long timbers that span two tracks.

I've put two of these drawings on my dropbox:

LNER North Eastern Area Standard Railway Equipment Permanent Way Short Timbering For Crossover Roads 95R BS Rail 1 in 8 to 1 in 16 and 1 in 4 to 1 in 7.5

Martin Wynne

Postby Martin Wynne » Fri May 01, 2015 5:29 pm

MikeH wrote:Thanks for posting those drawings, That will be useful reference material. It really does show they used any old crazy formations as long as it did the job!

Hi Mike,

They are not any old crazy formation. The special chairs will fit the rails in one specific position only, and must have a timber under them. Where there is a fishplated rail joint, the adjacent timbers must be as close as possible. The timbering of pointwork layouts often required considerable ingenuity, because you also have to ensure there is sufficient spacing between the timbers to allow them to be lifted and packed when necessary.

Martin.
40+ years developing Templot. Enjoy using Templot? Join Templot Club. Be a Templot supporter.

ken kirk

Postby ken kirk » Wed May 06, 2015 7:09 pm

Hello Mike,
I'm not pushing you, but at NAG we have two of the country's leading Templot experts who are more than willing to help.
Members tend to bring their laptops along and get direct help.
hope this is of interest.
Regards,
Ken

Return to “Starting in P4”