Beginners Workshop in Bristol.

Help and advice for those starting in, or converting to P4 standards. A place to share modelling as a beginner in P4.
steamraiser

Re: Beginners Workshop in Bristol.

Postby steamraiser » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:09 pm

Hi johnlewis,

Sorry to disappoint you.
We are thinking about having a group open day next year at the AVR, Bitton station.

Or if you are in Bristol on a Tuesday evening you would be welcome to call in.

Gordon A
Bristol

jayell

Postby jayell » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:18 pm

steamraiser wrote:Hi johnlewis,

Sorry to disappoint you.
We are thinking about having a group open day next year at the AVR, Bitton station.

Or if you are in Bristol on a Tuesday evening you would be welcome to call in.

Gordon A
Bristol

I'd like to vist the AVR anyway, we haven't managed to find the time whenever we have been visiting my eldest daughter who lives in Totterdown, close to the junction between the Bath and Wells roads.

But I don't think I'd be able to manage an evening visit to Bristol these days, getting too old for such jaunts and my dau has only a one bed flat.

John Lewis

Albert Hall

Postby Albert Hall » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:29 pm

As one of the 4 interested parties I have revisited this thread many times to check on progress thus distorting the stats as suggested. I'm very disappointed that there wasn't enough support to make it a viable event but might be tempted to come along and meet up at the AVR. Please keep us posted.

Roy

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:13 pm

At the end of the day, only four people expressed an interest, no matter how many hits are recorded.

There are probably better ways of meeting four people's needs than a "workshop", hence the decision not to run one.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:57 pm

Have those of you who are interested ever thought of having informal workshops? Here in the NE Scotland group we have workshops once a month when 4 or 5 of us get together and spend the day (10.00am - 5.00pm) doing some largely uninterrupted modelling, breaking only for lunch. We don't have any speaker or formal demonstrations, but we do share some considerable modelling experience and any problems we may be having do get discussed. Venue is usually my home because I happen to have a room big enough for us all to fit in (and enough tables). We all very much enjoy the day with three of our group travelling some 60 miles to get here, but it's a lovely run and probably takes about the same time as half that distance in the crowded south. These workshops I should perhaps add, take place in addition to our normal monthly group meetings which concentrate much more on chat.

DT

Simon Glidewell

Postby Simon Glidewell » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:45 pm

David Thorpe wrote:Have those of you who are interested ever thought of having informal workshops? Here in the NE Scotland group we have workshops once a month when 4 or 5 of us get together and spend the day (10.00am - 5.00pm) doing some largely uninterrupted modelling, breaking only for lunch. We don't have any speaker or formal demonstrations, but we do share some considerable modelling experience and any problems we may be having do get discussed. Venue is usually my home because I happen to have a room big enough for us all to fit in (and enough tables). We all very much enjoy the day with three of our group travelling some 60 miles to get here, but it's a lovely run and probably takes about the same time as half that distance in the crowded south. These workshops I should perhaps add, take place in addition to our normal monthly group meetings which concentrate much more on chat.

DT

That sounds very convivial David. I wish I had something like this near me; I believe I'm the only P4 modeller in SE France, and railway modellers in general here are very thin on the ground. As to model railway shops there are none in the region!

Simon

dcockling

Postby dcockling » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:38 pm

14 members in France Simon, but sadly you're right, only you in the SE

France.jpg

All the Best
Danny
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Simon Glidewell

Postby Simon Glidewell » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:04 pm

Thanks Danny! I couldn't help but have a bit of a laugh at the sole P4 nut in SE France! An interesting map all the same.

Cheers
Simon

DougN

Postby DougN » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:18 pm

Danny, the one for victoria really does show a close relationship to the members... Though I still giggle at the australia area group at scalefourum this year... The 4 of us are approximately 8hrs drive from each other! ;)
Last edited by DougN on Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:39 am

Simon Glidewell wrote:Thanks Danny! I couldn't help but have a bit of a laugh at the sole P4 nut in SE France! An interesting map all the same.

Cheers
Simon

How close are you to Avignon?

My wife's sidecar driver lives somewhere down there (Vinsobres to be precise) and we are hoping to have a couple of trips down that way during 2015. If nothing else, I could pop some GER rolling stock in the car and drop in on you for a running session ;-)

Cheers
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Simon Glidewell

Postby Simon Glidewell » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:51 am

Hello Paul,

We live about an hour and a half east from Avignon. Do give me a shout if and when you come down as I'd be very pleased to see you! I hope the layout will be presentable then!

All the best
Simon

dcockling

Postby dcockling » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:16 am

14 members in Victoria as well Doug 8-)

Victoria.jpg

All the Best
Danny
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DougN

Postby DougN » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:59 am

Terry you have started another game with that map. Guess which dot you are? I think I know which I am and can identify a couple of others.. I wonder if a friend of mine is a member still, I know he is thinking about building some track!

Any how back to modelling.
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:31 pm

This has strayed a long way from the original thread, but justifies a thread of it's own. Can this be split off please?
Tim V

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:35 pm

What title would you suggest?

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:41 pm

As it's concerning members, it should be in "Member's Lounge", perhaps under "Should I form an Area group?" or "Where is everybody?"
Tim V

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:27 pm

David Thorpe wrote:Have those of you who are interested ever thought of having informal workshops? Here in the NE Scotland group we have workshops once a month when 4 or 5 of us get together and spend the day (10.00am - 5.00pm) doing some largely uninterrupted modelling, breaking only for lunch. We don't have any speaker or formal demonstrations, but we do share some considerable modelling experience and any problems we may be having do get discussed. Venue is usually my home because I happen to have a room big enough for us all to fit in (and enough tables). We all very much enjoy the day with three of our group travelling some 60 miles to get here, but it's a lovely run and probably takes about the same time as half that distance in the crowded south. These workshops I should perhaps add, take place in addition to our normal monthly group meetings which concentrate much more on chat.

As indeed we have done in the east, with CHEAG. This one http://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=1727 was in a local church hall, but we've also done them in members' homes.

Something worth considering, and even more so if there is a decent hostelry nearby for lunch!

Cheers
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

dal-t

Postby dal-t » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:01 pm

dcockling wrote:14 members in France Simon, but sadly you're right, only you in the SE

But 4 of us within what ought to be striking distance in the SW, and another couple not so far away (by sparsely-populated French standards) in Midi-Pyrenees. Is there a specified number/travel time after which we're obliged to form an area group?
David L-T

dal-t

Postby dal-t » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:11 pm

Simon Glidewell wrote: ...railway modellers in general here are very thin on the ground. As to model railway shops there are none in the region!

Simon

Micro Modeles in Toulon? May not have much P4/SR, but should be good for incidentals (and have some nice HO/N if you ever fancy down-sizing).
David L-T

David B

Postby David B » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:53 am

Flymo748 wrote:
David Thorpe wrote:Have those of you who are interested ever thought of having informal workshops?

As indeed we have done in the east, with CHEAG.

DRAG had a very pleasant 'Indulgence Day' back in May. We will be organizing another at some point and anyone in the area at the time will be welcome.

David

Return to “Starting in P4”