Beginners Workshop in Bristol.

Help and advice for those starting in, or converting to P4 standards. A place to share modelling as a beginner in P4.
steamraiser

Beginners Workshop in Bristol.

Postby steamraiser » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:21 pm

The BS4 group based in Bristol has been asked by our Chairman to run a Scalefour workshop in the Bristol area. The proposed date would be in October.

The aim of the workshop would be to assist those taking their first steps in 18.83 P4 modelling.

We have had various discussions within the group as to what what the workshop should consist of.

We came up with:
a) Track construction;
Copper clad
Plastic (C&L / P4 track Company)

b) RTR loco conversion using Ultrascale drop in conversions and Gibson wheels.

c) Wagons - rtf drop in wheels, springing or rocking compensation.

d) Coaches - rtr conversion,springing or rocking compensation.

e) Planning a basic P4 your layout - length of point and crossing work
Discussion on baseboard design.
Possible basic Templot.

f) Discussion as to the advantages of DC versus DCC.

g) Basic soldering

We are thinking that included in the workshop would be tea, coffee and squash. Food would be down to those attending.

However my thought is that the first step is to ask a few basic questions:

1) How many people would be interested in attending a one day workshop in Bristol, probably in south Bristol?

2) What topics would you like covered and to what depth?
In answering this question you are not restricted to a) to f) above, but please note that
we are looking to encourage and assist members taking their first steps
Answers to this question would also indicate if we have the relevant knowledge or
if we would have to look for assistance outside the group.

3) Would you have any objection to making a donation to cover the costs of a hall and any
other expenses that we may incur?

Replies either on the Scalefour Forum so that every one can see what is suggested / said, or direct to me on ga007d9065@blueyonder.co.uk.

Gordon Ashton
Bristol

steamraiser

Re: Beginners Workshop in Bristol.

Postby steamraiser » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:45 pm

If any one fancy's a chat re the suggested P4 beginners workshop I will be at Rail Wells this weekend.
I am helping out on a P87 American layout that is under construction.

Gordon Ashton
Bristol

Albert Hall

Postby Albert Hall » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:19 am

I had a long chat with Gordon while setting up at Wells on Friday. This has the potential to be a very constructive event for novice and experienced members alike, whether you are a team player or a lone ranger. It's a great opportunity to meet the local membership and learn some best practice. I'm definitely interested and willing to cough up a contribution towards overheads.

Roy

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:15 am

Gordon mentioned to me at the wekend that he had at that time only had one enquiry. That may mean that there is no demand for such a workshop in the Bristol area. Those who have come to similar events in other parts of the country have found them very useful so if you are considering the idea then give it a go. I am sure that it will be very useful.

Terry Bendall

DaveHarris

Postby DaveHarris » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:43 am

The beginners workshop is a good idea. personally I am happy to contribute to costs.

I think the suggested topics to be covered are a good selection for the beginner, personally I would be interested in:...
Track construction(pros and cons of the various options) including 'brook smith method'.
Loco conversion using Gibson wheels.
Planning a layout.
DC versus DCC.
Compensation tricks and tips

Regarding depth of subject, I think it would be appropriate to cover the basics of each subject, provide leads to further information on each subject so candidates can take things further if they so wish.

Hope there is sufficient interest to get this off the ground

Regards
Dave H

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:37 am

I'd like to note that I'm a product of these workshops. I attended the one held in London a few years ago, and I had essentially done nothing practical with P4 before then.

Recommended, if like me, you would like a nudge to get started, or even re-started.

Let me know if you'd like some dedicated pages on the website for it.

jayell

Postby jayell » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:10 pm

I will probably attend a 'Beginners Workshop' in Bristol, somewhere close to the A37 route into Brisol from the south would be ideal for me living as I do in Yeovil.

None of the subjects mentioned in the initial posting have great appeal but something aimed at painting wagons/coaches, in particular mixing colours, would be of interest. I'd really like to know how to get that faded wood look that some recent photos of wagons that appeared in the Padgate Works series sho so well

I also need to replace the wheels on my 850 class saddle tank loco with the new set of Gibson wheels I have but really need access to a proper wheelpress to get them quartered properly. I didn't build the loco myself so guidance in dismantling it will be helpful too ;)

Postby 4307 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:39 pm

I would be interested in attending this event. While I cannot claim to be a total novice, I have certainly struggled to get up and running so I would still regard myself as a beginner. To see alternative ways of construction and hear what works best in different situations would be beneficial.

Topics of interest to me include:
- Soldering (keeping a tip clean, what iron & tip size/ flux/ solder for what job)
- Track construction, including baseboards; turnout operation; practical electrics rather than the theory.
- Loco conversion (simple 0-6-0 but what do you do about adjusting brake rodding and other detailing; some thoughts on more complicated conversions eg a loco with external valve gear)

Costs should be shared between participants.

If the event is located in a city centre, then it would be helpful if it was near a station; if on a Sunday, then timing would need to be considered. If outside the city, then a location with easy car parking would be helpful - timing would not be so important.

Dave Harvey

David B

Postby David B » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:04 pm

johnlewis wrote:I also need to replace the wheels on my 850 class saddle tank loco with the new set of Gibson wheels I have but really need access to a proper wheelpress to get them quartered properly. I didn't build the loco myself so guidance in dismantling it will be helpful too ;)

If you are going to Scaleforum, John, take it with you and ask someone there.

David

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:15 am

davidb wrote:If you are going to Scaleforum, John, take it with you and ask someone there.

Steve Duckworth, expert builder of kit and scratch built locos will be at Scaleforum and will I am sure be able to advise and there will be lots of other expertise around the show as well.

Terry Bendall

essdee

Postby essdee » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:15 am

John,

Yes indeed, as David and Terry suggest, there will be a number of us happy to advise on your GIbson re-wheeling -and ialso admire your loco! You will be most welcome to come by my demo stand and we will see what needs doing?

Best wishes - and enjoy the show,

Steve

(Memo: 'EXPERT - from EX; 'has-been' and SPURT - 'drip under pressure'; from the mists of stand-up comicry....)

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:27 pm

Well, that's a relief! I was beginning to think that we might need to start managing expectations of the beginner's workshop - there is only so much "expertise" in Bristol, some of the things being asked for would need a week at Missenden, not a day in Bristol!
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

David B

Postby David B » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:42 pm

Tim V wrote: . . . some of the things being asked for would need a week at Missenden, not a day in Bristol!

Now there is a thought! The Autumn Weekend is coming up (24th to 26th October) and places going steadily.

Main details are on the Missenden Autumn page and more is coming. If anyone would like to know more, please send me a PM or email.

David

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:24 pm

I thought you would bite on that....
Tim V

David B

Postby David B » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:35 pm

I should also have mentioned that Missenden Railway Modellers have a stand at Scaleforum.

Postby 4307 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:20 am

To add to my list of topics, another one I think would be useful would be:
- operating signals (semaphore and ground), and linking that to operating turnouts.

Dave Harvey

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:57 pm

This is beginning to look like a wish list of demos for Scaleforum, I hope Terry is paying attention....
Tim V

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:54 pm

- operating signals (semaphore and ground), and linking that to operating turnouts.

MERG will be at Scaleforum
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:41 am

Tim V wrote:This is beginning to look like a wish list of demos for Scaleforum, I hope Terry is paying attention....

We always listen Tim :), and wherever possible we will try to provide what people ask for. All it needs is for the request to be made and for us to find someone who can provide what is requested and who is willing and able to come to the show. I am sure the same is true of scalefour North.

4307 wrote:and linking that to operating turnouts.

Howard Bolton will be at Scaleforum and may be able to assist.

Terry Bendall

steamraiser

Postby steamraiser » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:46 pm

I think it is time I brought this topic to a formal close.
There have been a total of 1195 views to date with 4 persons putting their hands up to indicate that they would be interested in attending a workshop in Bristol.

Unfortunately 4 persons is not enough to make the workshop worthwhile and cover anticipated costs so therefore the workshop will not take place.

Gordon A
Bristol

DougN

Postby DougN » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:33 am

Appologies Gordon i may have thrown your stats as I tend to read all of the topics.... There are always snipets of good information in all topics.... To come from Australia is not really practical but I do hope you do have a get together of the 4 interested parties. Even if not a formal workshop, you may never know what the outcome could be.
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:09 am

I must admit, I'd divide the views by the number of postings - I suspect that most of our readers will come in and keep up to date with a thread, revisiting it as each posting is added.

So in this case, I'd bet on the *viewers* being in the range of 50-100. 4 responses from that is actually pretty respectable, IMHO.

jayell

Postby jayell » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:36 am

I was advised to talk to several people at Scaleforum so I did ask about my 'problems' and got some answers :D

I also spent ages looking at Howards superb track building and in particular the way he does working point rodding, something I'd like to do seeing as I only need two turnouts, one each end of a single siding with 'matching' trap points. It is a pity Howard doesn't build GWR style track as I'd like to see some turnouts with working GWR pattern round stretchers. The Broad Guage Society stand had some intersting stuff but not what I was hoping for in this respect.

I have already built enough GWR type track panels for my needs but keep putting off building the turnouts. I do have the excuse the I have lots to do to set up my workshop and need time to play with my lathe. I am also building half a dozen wagon kits and they will need painting when done.

I also need to sort out why my 850 loco will run without the boiler/tank casting in place but not when I put it all back together, I suspect that one of the wires is dis-connecting when they are squeezed into the tank space along with the battery and r/c receiver.

So it would be real nice to have a 'local' workshop up and running but if it is not to be :(

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:32 am

when they are squeezed into the tank space along with the battery and r/c receiver.
Is the antenna in the metal box along with the receiver? If so it may not be getting a strong enough signal, the box (tank space) will act as a Faraday cage.
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

jayell

Postby jayell » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:00 pm

grovenor-2685 wrote:
when they are squeezed into the tank space along with the battery and r/c receiver.
Is the antenna in the metal box along with the receiver? If so it may not be getting a strong enough signal, the box (tank space) will act as a Faraday cage.
Keith

It is all within the casting, it is one thing I will look at. The antenna is about 3/4" long but I may be able to re-position it a little.

John

Return to “Starting in P4”