Airfix Fowler 4F 0-6-0 (re-wheel)

Help and advice for those starting in, or converting to P4 standards. A place to share modelling as a beginner in P4.
Stuart Barker

Airfix Fowler 4F 0-6-0 (re-wheel)

Postby Stuart Barker » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:04 pm

Hi I need some advice please.

This is my first time on the forum.

I have built a few wagons in P4 (with sprung suspension) and would now like to convert a 00 guage ready to run locomotive to P4.
At this stage I do not want to spend a huge amount of money on the purchase of the locomotive just incase I make a mess of the conversion.
I have been looking at the Airfix Fowler 4F 0-6-0 on e-bay. I understand that this is tender driven.
Is this an easy locomotive to re-wheel to P4, and if so could I have some advise on the wheel sets that would be required.

I am modelling the LMS period from about 1930's to 1940's

Any advice or other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Stuart Barker

steamraiser

Re: Airfix Fowler 4F 0-6-0 (re-wheel)

Postby steamraiser » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:04 pm

I have one. The rewheeling route was not a brilliant success, so it now has a Comet loco and tender chassis fitted.

Gordon A
Bristol

Ian Everett

Postby Ian Everett » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:43 pm

I have one with a Perseverance (remember them!) chassis, Gibson wheels and a Portescap motor/gearbox. I found that it was difficult to get it to pull itself, never mind a train, because the motor was where the loco needed weight, so to balance it I conjured up a version of Mike Sharman's scheme whereby the front of the tender rests on the rear of the loco. Crude but effective.

I suspect that it is not practical simply to re-wheel the Airfix chassis and it would be much better to get an etched chassis kit. Things have moved on since I built mine and much better chassis kits are now available from Comet and Bill Bedford and Lanarkshire Models do a lovely tender chassis. A Mashima motor with a High Level gearbox will leave more space for lead (and in the right places).

Good luck!

Ian

Stuart Barker

Postby Stuart Barker » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:21 am

Thank you for your replies and advise.

I think as it is early stages for me I will have a look at the 0-6-0 Jinty and progress from there.

Many thanks

Stuart

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:27 am

I think you've been a bit unfortunate in your choice of prototype - there are plenty of current Bachmann and Hornby locos that are not difficult to re-wheel, using the original proprietary chassis. I've just done a Hornby Black 5 using nothing more than the Gibson conversion wheelset, and not only was it relatively easy but it has resulted in an excellent runner.

DT

Ian Everett

Postby Ian Everett » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:37 am

Stuart Barker wrote:Thank you for your replies and advise.

I think as it is early stages for me I will have a look at the 0-6-0 Jinty and progress from there.

Many thanks

Stuart

A much better choice!

Ian

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:37 pm

If you are still keen on a 4F I would consider the new Bachmann model, which has had very good reviews and should be relatively easy to convert once conversion wheelsets are available.

Philip

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:11 pm

Agree with all the above. Another factor to consider when looking at a prototype to model at the start of your P4 (or any other gauge/scale) adventure is to consider a tank engine. A tender loco is, in effect, two builds. Therefore they take longer, and also bring additional problems because they have to work as a single unit. I'd suggest that if you're just starting out do a few tank engines first.
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

Stuart Barker

Postby Stuart Barker » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:46 pm

Hi

Thank you all for taking the time to come back to me and for your excellent advice.
I think I will start with the Jinty, and move on to the Black 5 which is one of my favourites anyway.

Thanks again

Stuart

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:10 pm

once conversion wheelsets are available.
I bought the conversion wheelsets from AG at Scaleforum, I think the main issue with this will be getting clearance in the splashers The footplate is a casting and does not allow P4 wheelsets any sideplay, so it looks like remove plastic splashers, open out the wheel slots in the footplate then refix splashers. I'll report on it when it gets to the top of the pile. (Just did a Bachmann DMU with Branchlines special stub axle wheelsets, about an hour to get it running on P4, most difficult job getting the body off the motor car to drop the power bogie out, and fit a decoder, no need to take the trailer body off as the bogies just pop out).
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Captain Kernow

Postby Captain Kernow » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:44 pm

grovenor-2685 wrote:
once conversion wheelsets are available.
I bought the conversion wheelsets from AG at Scaleforum, I think the main issue with this will be getting clearance in the splashers The footplate is a casting and does not allow P4 wheelsets any sideplay, so it looks like remove plastic splashers, open out the wheel slots in the footplate then refix splashers. I'll report on it when it gets to the top of the pile. (Just did a Bachmann DMU with Branchlines special stub axle wheelsets, about an hour to get it running on P4, most difficult job getting the body off the motor car to drop the power bogie out, and fit a decoder, no need to take the trailer body off as the bogies just pop out).
Keith

Keith - if you are referring to the Bachmann Jinty, I'm sure one of our members in DRAG did one a while back, and I don't recall him having to go to the lengths you describe (he used Ultrascale drop-in wheels, but that shouldn't make any difference to what you do to the body & chassis).
Tim M
Member of the Devon Riviera Area Group.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:58 pm

Ck,
I did a Jinty way back, no issues with that, my description above is related to my inspection of my newly aquired 4F, the splashers are tighter than the Jinty and more importantly the footplate is metal, so touching it would lead to shorts. I have now read the instructions with the AG replacement wheels, the clearance issue is not mentioned. However, its not going to get to the top of my pile for some time yet, and I won't know anymore till it does.
Regards
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Return to “Starting in P4”