Fitting Wheels

Help and advice for those starting in, or converting to P4 standards. A place to share modelling as a beginner in P4.
Albert Hall

Re: Fitting Wheels

Postby Albert Hall » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:04 am

Bear in mind that,according to the updates page, the current C&L website is only an interim measure pending introduction of the new one, which will hopefully have all products in orderly groupings. Later on I tried putting 'Back to back gauges' in the product search box and this identified both the Exactoscale and C&L ones together.

Using a basic B2B gauge, how does one centralise the wheels on a pinpoint axle apart from by eye?

AH

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:41 am

Using a basic B2B gauge, how does one centralise the wheels on a pinpoint axle apart from by eye?

If you don't trust your eyes then you need some additional tool in addition to the BB gauge, eg a dial or electronic caliper, the tail end of the caliper is best, then measure the protruding axle at each end of an axle with the correct BB, work out the average, set the caliper to that dimension, then you can use that for setting the first wheel correctly each time and the BB will take care of the other. Of course you will need a new dimension for each axle length and each type of wheel :)
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:11 pm

I've always done it by eye - it's surprisingly reliable. The tricky part sometimes is only moving one wheel on an axle, when I grip the middle of the axle with pliers and twist the wheel that needs to be moved.

Philip

Albert Hall

Postby Albert Hall » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:03 pm

That's the way I did it when working to EM gauge standards. I wondered whether with P4/S4 the need to have wheels centralised accurately is more critical in ensuring vehicles ride correctly. It just seems ironic to me that we use jigs and gauges to assemble components to consistently high standards but then introduce potential errors by applying the art of measurement and alignment by eye. That said, I accept that sometimes the eyeball is probably the best tool we have in ensuring that something 'looks right'.

AH

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:57 pm

I just make sure that the wheels run between the W-irons, whether fixed, compensated, sprung or whatever with an equal gap on either side and of course the correct (or your chosen) B-B dimension. After so many years now I find I can estimate it pretty well.

However, if I felt the need for a gauge I would just drill a hole in a piece of styrene sheet, the thickness of which is rubbed down to be the exact distance from the face of a wheel to the tip of the pin-point. This could be taken from a known wheelset, and would assume a consistent tyre thickness of course; 2mm being the usual standard, but could go down to 1.85mm.

Philip

Will L

Postby Will L » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:19 am

Personally I think its unlikely that most W irons are not set accurately enough to make any error on the axle end you can't spot by eye more or less irrelevant.

Will

John Fitton

Postby John Fitton » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:17 pm

Will L wrote:Personally I think its unlikely that most W irons are not set accurately enough to make any error on the axle end you can't spot by eye more or less irrelevant.

Will

Rather a lot of double negatives there sir!!

john fitton.

Will L

Postby Will L » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:35 pm

jf2682 wrote:
Will L wrote:Personally I think its unlikely that most W irons are not set accurately enough to make any error on the axle end you can't spot by eye more or less irrelevant.

Will

Rather a lot of double negatives there sir!!

john fitton.

True, clearly I should have gone to bed instead :? Trying again.

My view is that minor errors in the placement of wheels along a pinpoint axle are likely to be insignificant compared with errors in setting the W irons.

There, not a negative in sight :)

Will

John Fitton

Postby John Fitton » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:13 pm

Copy that Will, thanks!

john

Albert Hall

Postby Albert Hall » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:55 pm

Yes Will, version 2 is definitely clearer and I bow to everyone's superior knowledge and experience. Proof of the pudding with me will be when the garage warms up enough to clear a space for a workbench so I can start knocking a bit of test track and some wagons together.

AH

njggb

Postby njggb » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:29 am

Hi,

The Exactoscale website is now closed. I have been unable to locate the drawing for the wheel setter, any suggestions?

Thanks
James
njggb

Albert Hall

Postby Albert Hall » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:58 am

Look on the C&L website under the Knowledge Centre - Home Page. You will find a section on 4mm Instructions which allows you to download the relevant data/drawings for Exactoscale rolling stock products.

Return to “Starting in P4”