Converting modern era RTR wagons

Help and advice for those starting in, or converting to P4 standards. A place to share modelling as a beginner in P4.
HowardGWR

Re: Converting modern era RTR wagons

Postby HowardGWR » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:59 am

Russ Elliott wrote:Steve - if you haven't got the etched rockers, use a bit of 0.9mm wire through the holes of the W-iron, and put some trunnions (bits of plasticard/brass/whatever) on the wire both sides of the W-iron to constrain its longitudinal movement. Using the wire is a better way of rocking the W-iron IMO, and saves you valuable headroom.

Digest 42-4-1 v1-3 Wagon Compensation Using Society W-Irons_page2_image1.jpg

w-iron-trunnion.png

I don't understand - how does the rocking axle guide ('W iron') carrier fix in place? Does one chop off all 4 lugs - if so how does the rocker rock? Does the wire go through both middle holes (diagram doesn't) ? Kid's guide needed and most grateful in advance.

HowardGWR

Postby HowardGWR » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:19 am

I've worked it out. The two square bits are stuck to the floor on their upper edge - right? (that was not mentioned).

Russ Elliott

Postby Russ Elliott » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:52 am

HowardGWR wrote:I've worked it out. The two square bits are stuck to the floor on their upper edge - right? (that was not mentioned).

In practice, it's preferable and easier to fix the trunnions on a mounting plate (20 thou plasticard is convenient). This:

- enables the rocking assembly to be completed 'off-wagon'

- facilitates packing (slips of 10 thou) between the mounting plate and the underside of the floor when assessing and setting the correct ride height

- enables the rocking assembly to be positioned in the wagon easily and accurately.

w-iron-trunnion-2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

steves17

Postby steves17 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:51 am

Thanks Howard and Russ. I was still wondering about this and thought I would need to find more on it to work out the nuances.

Return to “Starting in P4”